Direct X 11 support?

4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,152Player
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
Any chance we can get UE3 with DX11 on this game at this point? I think it could really help a lot of people with higher end machines with FPS issues and stutters with quad core support and such. I know UE3 supports it and let's be honest, almost everyone these days have DX11 supported systems.

Based on the June 2016 Steam HW survey, we're talking about 17% of people on steam dont' support DX11. Even if DX9 vs. DX11 was an option, it'd be well worthwhile.
sniYQsa.png
You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I'm positive I heard a Dev response on this regarding the resources that would have to be put into the migration. No one is disputing it would be great.

Me....I'm learning to work in UE4 so I'll be ready...! :)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited July 2016
    When I've read recently that a couple of beta's are learning UE4.. it fills my little AA loving heart with anticipatory joy.

I like to read into things too much.. but it keeps me going.

"hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things"

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

I think I can say this because there is no info to breach an NDA with....I have heard nothing on UE4 and am merely furthering my knowledge for myself. Hey, who knows what'll happen.

:)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    You aint broken anything Keebler, UE4 is publicly available software. I'm just a prober.. and a dreamer.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,152Player
    Well DX11 is available on UE3, so it doesn't even require an engine change. I'm not sure what kind of work would go into enabling DX11 support though.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Adding DX11 support would be a pretty major step. At that level of effort it makes more sense to move to UE4 over trying to polish up our UE3 version with DX11.

I'm not saying it's happening either way, just repeating what was said last time. It's a major ordeal and not really likely for AAPG/UE3
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

TheTots wrote: »
    Adding DX11 support would be a pretty major step. At that level of effort it makes more sense to move to UE4 over trying to polish up our UE3 version with DX11.

I'm not saying it's happening either way, just repeating what was said last time. It's a major ordeal and not really likely for AAPG/UE3

OK, if it's that big of a workload, then it definitely makes no sense to upgrade now. Thanks :+1:
  • -=312th=-Atrophied-=312th=-Atrophied Posts: 67Player
    Go with Cry Engine so our rigs start melting.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 458Player
    TheTots wrote: »

And we wish you were....
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    edited July 2016

You want the game to be at least be accessible either way. With the way the game is, anyone who has a DX9 card won't be able to run the game all that well anyway. So the upgrade to DX11 makes sense. However, as Tots said, it's kind of pointless on UE3/AAPG.

From my standpoint, the game is at a point where it makes more sense to use AAPG as a testing ground to see what will work well for AA5. Cut the cord on PG in a year or two and move on to the next game (if it's not already being developed). AAPG started off on a bad foot from day 1 and never recovered IMO. It had some decent potential but tried too hard to be unlike any AA game before it. Then when they started to move back towards the past games it was already too late.

I hope in AA5 they really sit down and look at AAO/2, 3, and even PG and see what worked and what doesn't and make a better game from it. The main takeaway I'd grab from PG is that movement and overall feeling is pretty top notch.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,049Moderator
    DX11 isnt the way to go for a new game, DX12 is where it happens, the lower level of programing makes it really powerful, but its tough and time consuming(expensive).
    Starting off a new game on 11 makes it dated from start.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 458Player
    DX12 = win10 required, however DX12 is backwards compatible.

techradar.com/us/news/gaming/directx-12-what-is-it-and-why-it-matters-to-pc-gamers-1318636
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    frankof wrote: »
    DX11 isnt the way to go for a new game, DX12 is where it happens, the lower level of programing makes it really powerful, but its tough and time consuming(expensive).

True. Makes sense. If you're going to do it, then do it on the most recent technology.

It's funny because I remember the original AA games were actually on the top of the line engine for the time period. AAO was the first game to use the UE2 engine. Then through the process we also got the UE2.5 engine upgrade. Right now there aren't a ton of UE4 games out there. It'd be prudent to be on the front edge of that. The game would have more longevity as well since we won't be starting with an old engine.

My personal opinion based on what's been released since October 2015 is that AA5 is already under development, but I obviously can't prove that.
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    My personal opinion based on what's been released since October 2015 is that AA5 is already under development, but I obviously can't prove that.

:+1:

AAPG must have been in dev for a while too, before it was announced/released :mrgreen:

• -{XL}-It''sCrosser!-{XL}-It''sCrosser! Posts: 61Player

AHAHAHHAHA
    34pz8uc.png
    xlegion.it
    Referent of the Italian Community of AA
    Steam ID: Crosser

iMac 27"
    Intel Core i5-4570
    CPU @ 3.20 Ghz
    8 Gb RAM
    Nvidia Ge Force GT 755M

• CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Right now there aren't a ton of UE4 games out there. It'd be prudent to be on the front edge of that. The game would have more longevity as well since we won't be starting with an old engine.

That'd be fantastic. AA5 (AA4?)/UE4, with the things learned from AA:PG, could be really potent.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    wishful thinking.. even if it were in plans.. minimum 3-4 yrs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    Three to four years?! Why?
    ______

=IK=Doba= wrote: »
    wishful thinking.. even if it were in plans.. minimum 3-4 yrs

I think a Dev once said that it'd probably take like a year to port the game to UE4.
  • [!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian[!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian Posts: 792Player
    frankof wrote: »

So you are going to force people to use W10 only because DX11 isn't the way to go for a new game?. I prefer to see DX11, 21:9 support and Vulkan support before anything else. Also keep in mind AAPG already pissed off a lot of AMD users, what do you think what will happen when you force them to use W10 :expressionless: