Game Update Notes (30 June 2016)

Comments

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited July 2016
    If we're talking videogames, imagine street fighter removing combos or Starcraft limiting the number of actions per minute.

It's easy enough to shift the analogy to "[arbitrary game] adding a cooldown on an ability", right?
    Adding to revert football example, imagine UFC changing their rules and making strikes to the face and submissions illegal.

It's not like lean got removed, just nerfed. And, as you've said earlier, best players will still adapt to find the limits of its effectiveness.

Anyway. I haven't felt like it's the massive change some people here are suggesting (feels fine to me, just slower -- I never built my play around the peek mechanic), so I just don't really have a strong opinion on it either way.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Ahhhhhhhh, Revert. Stay classy, eh. The old 'you can't possibly know what you're talking about because....Stats' argument.

You know......like bugged match high scores, and stuff. :rolleyes:

As I said, good players in any sport adapt to new conditions better than their counterparts. If that doesn't describe you, I apologize.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • =IK=.Scooby=IK=.Scooby Posts: 119Player
    edited July 2016
    Adapting to the change isn't the issue. The change itself is the issue. Your idea here seems to be "deal with it and if you don't like it tough [TOS Violation]", which is a terrible attitude to have, and hiding behind the fact that if we're so good, it shouldn't be an issue. Just because we have the ability to adjust to the change doesn't mean we should have to or that it's the right move to make.

That argument does nothing to better game balance or to better the game period.

I brought up a perfectly valid counter argument of "if we're going to remove quick peaks due to them being overpowered, why is supported still in the game?", which has just completely been looked over by you for whatever reason. Quick peaking was a counter to corner camping and supported position. Corner camping isn't really something you can fix and I can accept that, it's in pretty much every FPS, however leaving in a counter measure for it is a viable plan.

Supported, however, can be removed and the devs just choose not to do it, no matter how broken it is. Apparently having no recoil, no sway and 99% of yourself covered isn't too OP but being able to peak a corner is(where, when you do peak and shoot, you still have to control your recoil, sway, adjust to the enemy, etc.).

So lets recap, we take away the "overpowered" ability that actually requires a level of skill to pull off, but we leave in the overpowered ability that requires 0 skill, and that's apparently what is being called balance.

And I can't even figure out where this idea to change the lean comes from. Who complained about it? I've seen nothing about it in forums, [TOS Violation] I never even heard a complaint about it in game. Was this just a dev complaint? Beta testers complaining to them? I'm seriously curious about this process.

I've played this franchise since 04. 1 and 2 were great. 3 was a disaster. PG started off having promise, and is slowly going down the drain(or I should say, slowly has went down the drain, there isn't much further to go), and no one is doing anything to fix it.

We keep watching the number of players in this game just drop..and drop..and drop, and I can assure you it's not because people are getting tired of playing a good game.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 678Player
    .Scooby wrote: »
    -SD-DELTON wrote: »
    From all the comments I hear on my server players are glad its been changed.
    Its was far to quick the way it was.

[TOS Violation], FGN wanted to have an open and main level of competition next year and I'm not even sure they're gonna get enough teams to have a successful one level of competition.

I have seen very few dc, IK, iNv, coN play recently. I have also lost interest rapidly. What do you expect though, government work has disappointed the [TOS Violation] out of me for 10 years in RL, may as well translate over to my e-hobbies.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 500Player
    Scooby nailed it. I'm not scared of not being able to adapt to this, I'm just wondering why on earth I should have to. We went from a super promising beta to a game that is all about random changes - the sound engine with its magic footsteps, camper's paradise maps, random recoil, pointlessly changing a portion of a map (Slums, Intercept), etc., and now nerfing a feature I've never heard anyone complain about (in game or in the forums). And as I have quite a few hours both in full release and beta, plus I read the forums regularly, I would probably know if many people thought it was an issue.
  • iNv|revert-iNv|revert- Posts: 96Player
    edited July 2016
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhhh, Revert. Stay classy, eh. The old 'you can't possibly know what you're talking about because....Stats' argument.

You know......like bugged match high scores, and stuff. :rolleyes:

As I said, good players in any sport adapt to new conditions better than their counterparts. If that doesn't describe you, I apologize.

The fact that all you got from that post is the stats thing just further proves my point.. I just threw your stats in there for the cherry, it was never the main dish. Also my stats were never bugged, this has nothing to do with my point.. but nice excuse. It has nothing to do with staying classy or not, and mostly to do with you not being able to see anything below this pedestal you seemed to have put yourself and your "knowledge" on..

As for adapting, I've opened this game 3 times since the FGN finals.. played 1 match the day of the update, played a couple today.. so lets say 5 maps in over a month.. I think I adapted just fine.. these pics aren't to brag by any means, just to prove my point that it isn't an issue of adapting.
    sQBrToY.png
    B6XfrVB.png
    t3ZQ1rX.png

Scooby understands what I'm getting at, you are clearly to ignorant to see through your own arrogance though. ;)
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Adapting isn't the issue, slowly lowering the skill ceiling is. It doesn't affect public as seen on the screenshots but it hurts comp because there is barely anything to learn as an individual. It's cod run and gun style and that's boring. That being said I don't think lean is an issue except when supported position is enabled.
    I'm also curious who decides if something is bugged or not? Is it done by beta testers, tested internally? Some might remember this thread http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/2674/shooting-through-walls/p1 and if the claims are true that would have to result in supported getting nerfed as well.

On a sidenote I'm not sure how that approach of constantly nerfing things is gonna work out in the long run.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,187Player
    Touching back to the login issue, changing my username back so that it matches my steam name yielded 'zero' positive results. If I set AAGame, AAEditor and AALauncher32 to run as admin (forced through properties of the executables) as advised elsewhere, yup you guessed it.. I still have the issue.

So at this point I'm clueless as to why it wont save, other than the inkling that the 2 methods of logging into the game (through the main menu and alternately the launcher) are in some way conflicting each other.. especially seeing as its only started happening since a main menu logging in method was adopted.

I don't even mind that it don't work tbh, takes me all of 1 whole second to type in my password, it's just that something as trivial as this, that gives an option to save the fields.. that don't/won't work, it kinda makes me think I'm the one doing something wrong.

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    Adapting isn't the issue, slowly lowering the skill ceiling is

This is my issue with it, mind you I haven't played a single round since last match which was well over a month, Vip sure isn't going to persuade me to do so.. but hearing about yet another skilled move being nerfed has me worried.

My biggest complaint is that the game caters for newbs, this proves it furthermore and we just took a step backwards.

I read the reason why it got nerfed, funny I've never seen it in game.

I'ma stick to Insurgency atm, especially with the new compete mode, matchmaking coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    edited July 2016
    Slow lean is very good. No more easy macros.
  • {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 206Player
    I again need to change the weapon sometimes, to get my selected weapon skin. Mostly after I was the VIP. It was solved in the last version.

And remember Login still doesn't work?
  • iNv|revert-iNv|revert- Posts: 96Player
    edited July 2016
    Pvt.Phushi wrote: »
    Slow lean is very good. No more easy macros. Before update : "Duh this is call of duty noob look at the fast lean". Now : "What I never asked for it how can you make the game slightly hard".

The game isn't any harder.. If you read through the other posts, that's not the issue. Also I wasnt aware of any macros for leaning, and I've never heard of anyone comparing this game to CoD, especially the leaning O.o
    I again need to change the weapon sometimes, to get my selected weapon skin. Mostly after I was the VIP. It was solved in the last version.

I've been getting this off and on, you can just cycle through the scopes, works to show your skin
    Slow lean is very good. No more easy macros. Before update : "Duh this is call of duty noob look at the fast lean". Now : "What I never asked for it how can you make the game slightly hard".

We should slow every single action down so the old timers can have time to react..

imo slow actions hinder ones abilities which results in boring skill less gameplay..welcome to AA

The game isn't any harder.. If you read through the other posts, that's not the issue. Also I wasnt aware of any macros for leaning, and I've never heard of anyone comparing this game to CoD, especially the leaning O.o

In lack of skill ceiling and amount of unique mechanics/depth I'd compare this to CoD.
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    edited July 2016
    Calling it harder is weird anyways since its also easier for the defenders now.

The problem is not even the lean on its own, this has been a slow death by a thousand cuts every update since the beginning of open beta.
    edited July 2016
    I didn't get a PM about my post, why was it deleted? I'll reiterate what I said in a nicer, more concise approach.

I hope it's not just Devs and Betas driving the changes.

Who is in charge of the direction of AAPG? Seriously. What's the plan. These last 3 years have been a huge disappointment. I'm not saying the Devs are incapable, but as contractors, they need the direction and guidance from someone with decision making abilities.
    I think the plan is pretty clear from the get go, a game that attracts new PC gamers .. sadly its at the extent of your core that's committed 10+ yrs to the franchise..

But Doba, they can't even do that. If AAPG was popular and moved away from what we knew as AA2, then so be it. But the numbers speak for themselves. If averaging 900 players is enough to satisfy Huntsville, we have a problem.
  • =IK=Juggernaut=IK=Juggernaut Posts: 69Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »

And if the Devs decided to take "sprint" out of the game, we'd have to adapt even more, wouldn't we?

An absurd example, yes... but my point is that it's not about being able to adapt. Yes, skilled players will adapt and win, but just winning, itself, isn't fun... Good gamers get bored of easy games very quickly...

Slowing down the lean removes an important dynamic from the game that makes it interesting.