Who is buying nvidia 10 series?

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    Imagine the feels if one was to spend £800 on a Titan a few months ago :surprised:

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    bought a GTX 1070 today for 569.99 on newegg.ca total of 657.64$ canadian with tax and shipping. Going to get a custom one at a later date and SLI. Loving the price though considering a Titan X is 1500$ in canada and a GTX 980TI is 900$ canada and 1070 FE edition beats them both.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• .dcG-ccoR^.dcG-ccoR^ Posts: 84Player
    Apparently the RX 480 in crossfire is currently beats 1080 performance for 200 each card$, but it comes with the power and heat drawbacks, plus the typical CF/SLI issues. Might be something to consider.

http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/personas/b0db0294-8cab-4399-8815-f956a670b68f/match-details/ac88258f-4541-408e-8234-f9e96febe303

Just wait til AMD releases their HIGH END 1080/70 version, apparently the 480 is supposed to be a 1060 equivalent. Good times are a head for consumer GPU selection!
  • {4F}DeadlyGrouse{4F}DeadlyGrouse Posts: 277Player
    hopefully the new AMD cards wont have stuttering issues.

after updating to windows 10 and a major update around that time, I was able to play stutter free

might be a bad powersupply
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    .dc-coR^ wrote: »
    Apparently the RX 480 in crossfire is currently beats 1080 performance for 200 each card$, but it comes with the power and heat drawbacks, plus the typical CF/SLI issues. Might be something to consider.

http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/personas/b0db0294-8cab-4399-8815-f956a670b68f/match-details/ac88258f-4541-408e-8234-f9e96febe303

Just wait til AMD releases their HIGH END 1080/70 version, apparently the 480 is supposed to be a 1060 equivalent. Good times are a head for consumer GPU selection!

Yea, definitely! If that's what they have as their weakest card (Titan/Fury performance as a 1060 price equivalent) I can only imagine what their high end/tier 1 cards are going to be and they will still most likely be cheaper than nvidia cards.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
    edited June 2016

Yea, definitely! If that's what they have as their weakest card (Titan/Fury performance as a 1060 price equivalent) I can only imagine what their high end/tier 1 cards are going to be and they will still most likely be cheaper than nvidia cards.

Not happening HBM2 is very expensive to make right now. Only way AMD can charge less than nvidia like they did for polaris 10 is if Vega 10 has GDDR5X to compete with 1080. AMD is a huge joke right now they have nothing to compete with 1070 or 1080 so they release a 200$ card. Which anyone who plays unreal engine games would be silly to get.

If your not planning on playing AAPG ever again and only going to stick to Triple AAA titles that run well on AMD like Battlefield Series for example and stay away from nvidia exclusive games like mirrors edge than sure go get an AMD card.

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    I've always wondered why Intel themselves don't step in on the dedicated GPU market.. they already hold the majority share of hardware in PC's I assume (processors for sure) and surely they'd fit more good stuff on there already brilliant CPU's when they ain't being used to house relatively crap IGPU's.. it really makes no sense to me that they don't use huge profits they must make to then try and compete with Nvidia/AMD.

They'd be in good standing too I imagine since the big companies that sell PC's to consumers would save money too, in turn passing them savings on to their customers, thereby Intel owning an even bigger chunk of the already half eaten pie.

The mind boggles.

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,036Moderator
    edited June 2016
    [Gen]Adzic wrote: »
    I've always wondered why Intel themselves don't step in on the dedicated GPU market.. they already hold the majority share of hardware in PC's I assume (processors for sure) and surely they'd fit more good stuff on there already brilliant CPU's when they ain't being used to house relatively crap IGPU's.. it really makes no sense to me that they don't use huge profits they must make to then try and compete with Nvidia/AMD.

They'd be in good standing too I imagine since the big companies that sell PC's to consumers would save money too, in turn passing them savings on to their customers, thereby Intel owning an even bigger chunk of the already half eaten pie.

The mind boggles.
    They tried with larrabee, and "failed", i dont remember exactly why they closed the project down, its a long time ago.
    With that said, outside of gaming, intel video chip are today good enough for all daily tasks.
    So, its rather like, Intel will kill the market for discrete cards with their integrated chips.
    (or AMD, if they can get their CPU part going anywhere, their igpu is really strong)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • =NiW=-^pAYNE=NiW=-^pAYNE Posts: 48Player
    480x for 300 US... and GO!
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »

Not happening HBM2 is very expensive to make right now. Only way AMD can charge less than nvidia like they did for polaris 10 is if Vega 10 has GDDR5X to compete with 1080. AMD is a huge joke right now they have nothing to compete with 1070 or 1080 so they release a 200$ card. Which anyone who plays unreal engine games would be silly to get.

If your not planning on playing AAPG ever again and only going to stick to Triple AAA titles that run well on AMD like Battlefield Series for example and stay away from nvidia exclusive games like mirrors edge than sure go get an AMD card.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, you bring up HBM but must realize we're talking about oranges vs oranges. Of course, HBM will cost more but it will also perform better. The 480 is using the usual GDDR yet it almost matches 1070 numbers (almost double the price and still uses GDDR too, only the 1080 uses GDDR5X).

AMD is not a huge joke when you account for what they produce on a smaller scale compared to NVIDIAs bigger budget/profits. I have nothing against NVIDIA and actually have owned both brands within the last year. Yes for this one single game (OUTDATED GAME ENGINE) NVIDIA seems to run slightly better. I own a 970 coming from an R9 290 and was not blown away by FPS gains. FPS gains were less than 10 % although FPS average on larger maps are steadier....

AMD has elected to focus on the MID RANGE 480 GPU first b/c that's where most sales come from and not just bc an unfinished product might not have been ready like you claim. It's actually funny that NVIDIA rushed their 1000 series GPUs in order to beat AMD to the punch but AMD countered and attacked the much bigger gamer market (MID RANGE/VR supported) first. Now NVIDIA is facing shortage issues that won't be fixed anytime soon. IMO, this was a brilliant move by AMD to counter NVIDIAs recent success within the 1000 series.

I love what they have done within their own sector when you compare 900's/Titans vs 1000s series cards, giving back to the consumer at more affordable prices.. Probably thank AMD for that ;)

End of the day, I have high hopes for AMD, and you should too if you like a healthy competition that should equate to fairer prices for the consumer.

How can you say they don't have anything to compete with nvidia when their lowest performing new gen card has the performance of their last flagship, the same as their 1070 at a far lower price?

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
    edited June 2016

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, you bring up HBM but must realize we're talking about oranges vs oranges. Of course, HBM will cost more but it will also perform better. The 480 is using the usual GDDR yet it almost matches 1070 numbers (almost double the price and still uses GDDR too, only the 1080 uses GDDR5X).

AMD is not a huge joke when you account for what they produce on a smaller scale compared to NVIDIAs bigger budget/profits. I have nothing against NVIDIA and actually have owned both brands within the last year. Yes for this one single game (OUTDATED GAME ENGINE) NVIDIA seems to run slightly better. I own a 970 coming from an R9 290 and was not blown away by FPS gains. FPS gains were less than 10 % although FPS average on larger maps are steadier....

AMD has elected to focus on the MID RANGE 480 GPU first b/c that's where most sales come from and not just bc an unfinished product might not have been ready like you claim. It's actually funny that NVIDIA rushed their 1000 series GPUs in order to beat AMD to the punch but AMD countered and attacked the much bigger gamer market (MID RANGE/VR supported) first. Now NVIDIA is facing shortage issues that won't be fixed anytime soon. IMO, this was a brilliant move by AMD to counter NVIDIAs recent success within the 1000 series.

I love what they have done within their own sector when you compare 900's/Titans vs 1000s series cards, giving back to the consumer at more affordable prices.. Probably thank AMD for that ;)

End of the day, I have high hopes for AMD, and you should too if you like a healthy competition that should equate to fairer prices for the consumer.

I do would love to see AMD give Nvidia competition but they don't so it upsets me! If AMD had an answer for 1070 and 1080 the prices of 1070 and 1080 wouldn't be so high. No reviews have been release yet so you have no idea if 480 will perform even close to the 1070 it wont Nvidia's #'s work much differently than AMD's #'s If the TFLOPS are the same on AMD card and nvidia card the nvidia card will outperform the nvidia card... The 480's rumored to have 5,834 GFLOPS. The 1070 has 5,783 GFLOPS and will out perform the 480. The 1080 has 8,228 GFLOPS. GFLOPS for amd do not work as good as GFLOPS do for Nvidia. You can't really compared #'s of AMD's spec to nvidia's specs because they both do stuff differently and work better than the other. What you can compare is reviews/benchmarks. But we have none for the 480 yet.

AMD does not just run bad on AAPG and outdated unreal engine 3 games it runs even worse on Unreal Engine 4.
    How can you say they don't have anything to compete with nvidia when their lowest performing new gen card has the performance of their last flagship, the same as their 1070 at a far lower price?

So your claiming the 480 is going to be same performance as 1070 for 200$ compared to 379-450$ for 1070.

ATM no reviews have been released on 480. NDA doesn't lift till end of june.

edited June 2016

So your claiming the 480 is going to be same performance as 1070 for 200$ compared to 379-450$ for 1070.

There are several reviews out for the RX 480, leaked of course. I suppose we shouldn't take the leaks and AMD's word for it entirely but if two two of them > the performance of a 1080. A single card supposedly is about 80-85% the performance of a 1070.

EDIT

You can google RX 480 reviews if you want more, but here is one of the many leaks:

wMtxfNC.jpg

ss_4_Root-Access.png
  • {4F}DeadlyGrouse{4F}DeadlyGrouse Posts: 277Player

after updating to windows 10 and a major update around that time, I was able to play stutter free

might be a bad powersupply

I don't run Amd anymore so i was unaware if they fixed it. I got rid of my AMD card year and a half ago because i couldn't take the stutters anymore.
    edited June 2016

There are several reviews out for the RX 480, leaked of course. I suppose we shouldn't take the leaks and AMD's word for it entirely but if two two of them > the performance of a 1080. A single card supposedly is about 80-85% the performance of a 1070.

EDIT

You can google RX 480 reviews if you want more, but here is one of the many leaks:

wMtxfNC.jpg

Yeah I'll wait for gaming benchmarks. When Fury released it was supposed to the TI killer look how well that turned out.

Well, the RX 480 can hit 1.4 and 1.5GHz on air. Just gotta see how well that works in performance benchmarks now.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    So some custom cards came out. Anyone check them out yet?

ss_4_Root-Access.png
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,036Moderator
    In general, they perform better than FE at the same price, so nvidias price strategy "worked", it set the floor for the third party pricing.
    (might not be a global "truth" tho)

From the few cards i looked at, the FE cards are already going pretty fast, theres not much room for overclocking, not even with custom pcb with additional power resources. (7-15% better than ref. thats not impressive)
    ss_4_frankof.png
    frankof wrote: »
    In general, they perform better than FE at the same price, so nvidias price strategy "worked", it set the floor for the third party pricing.
    (might not be a global "truth" tho)

From the few cards i looked at, the FE cards are already going pretty fast, theres not much room for overclocking, not even with custom pcb with additional power resources. (7-15% better than ref. thats not impressive)

I think only EVGA has offered the best GTX 1070 so far...but yea the upgrade definitely doesn't look worth it, especially if someone already has a 980 Ti or similar, especially not at $450 price tag.

ss_4_Root-Access.png