Game Update Notes (5 May 2016)

1235»

Comments

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,140Player
    edited June 2016
    Koden wrote: »
    Weather effect you say? Only very partially so. If you check that link, you'll notice the charts for 2014 and 2015. They're just not the same as this year. There was a sharp 17% decline in May, compared to April, that added to with previous ones, hovers around 25%...and its not even full summer yet. Who will play the game in July/August?

Of course it's only partially. The game has become stale. I just don't think it has to do with the May patch, it didn't even change much. The gameplay has been stagnant for a while. No new features in a game that so desperately needs them. We need stuff that's going to make the game feel fresh again. VIP will help for a short time (if it even comes), but nostalgia of VIP hospital will only last for so long.

The game needs a truckload of new features to bring players back. Even with that, it may be too late for this game. Personally, if I were in charge I'd pull the plug and begin work on AA5 on a new engine.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 333Beta Tester
    Koden wrote:

I just want to point out -> http://steamcharts.com/app/203290

Compare the above with the stats for Insurgency -> http://steamcharts.com/app/222880

Discuss.
    product-image-230368610_300x300.jpg
    Looks like Insurgency just went on sale and released a new update. The huge jump they just had will die down in a few weeks probably.
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    Its not a free game though, and their April numbers are still more than double of PG.
    The PG data clearly shows these map updates are doing nothing, I mean May had 3 new maps and the biggest drop in players in a while.
    I haven't been paying too much attention but looking at this, 500 average after full release is starting to reach life support levels players, like AA2 when it was shut down levels.
    edited June 2016
    In the past, I've talked about how having a paid game can help drive numbers increases due to sales. Big sales drive new players to a game. The thing is that Insurgency seems to have issues retaining them as well. People will try free games, the problem is getting them to try the game again if they didn't like it at first. In any sense, INS is still more popular than AAPG.

New maps are nice, but I've never decided that I'd want to jump into a game that I haven't played in a while when a new patch releases just to try new maps. New features get people excited. If the Dev team wants to keep people interested and grow the player base, they need to keep the game fresh. A new feature or two every three months doesn't seem like it's asking for too much. We've gone 8 months with nothing but new maps and bug fixes.

I don't know if the Dev team plans on releasing a bunch of new features in one shot. While it would be nice, I'm not a fan of the approach. People have short attention spans. Giving them a steady dose of new stuff is better than giving them a dump truck with of new features and then nothing new for another year.
    If we look at the Insurgency numbers before sales in the last year, they've been slowly growing so they must be doing something right to keep some players.
    1500 in May 2015, 1800 in October and 1900 in April 2016. With the summer sale probably happening soon as well, so another boost. It also has a playstyle that is not for everyone and definitely not for the masses, so the fact that they can keep some of the players they get during sales is impressive. Probably going for the niche is better than trying to be as generic as possible.

Back on PG, I don't think new features here and there can do anything at this point, not after so many people gave up on it. It would have to be something huge and truly game changing at the core level to really make it worth coming back. I can come back, play the vip or with a new gun for 30 minutes only to realize its still the same gameplay.
  • KodenKoden Posts: 284Player
    edited June 2016
    Insurgency is a very different matter. The game was born from an half life mod, it lived up (successfully) for years, then they decided to release a standalone version, which slowly grew up and gained some popularity. Its often discounted in an attempt to gather to even more people.
    Aapg has a different approach for a kind of different matter, hasn't lived for the same lifespan, and it's also heavier on hardware req.
    That goes without mentioning stats issues or game bugs.
    Derob6.jpg
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    The game needs a truckload of new features to bring players back. Even with that, it may be too late for this game. Personally, if I were in charge I'd pull the plug and begin work on AA5 on a new engine.
    Agreed. The game just has nothing new to offer. I honestly feel it has less to offer now than it did in beta due to many of the changes - such as the sound engine - that I dislike.
    Back on PG, I don't think new features here and there can do anything at this point, not after so many people gave up on it. It would have to be something huge and truly game changing at the core level to really make it worth coming back. I can come back, play the vip or with a new gun for 30 minutes only to realize its still the same gameplay.

It depends, certain features can change the core of gameplay enough to make the game fresh.
    Maybe adding multiple weapons (rather than one). How about past era weapons?
    Adding new classes
    Adding a complex front attachment system which allows players to tailor their weapon to their game style.
    VIP would be a nice addition just for nostalgia (Hospital VIP). It would at least get some people desiring to play the game.
    It would also be nice to get additional game modes that can easily be created in the map editor supported in the UI.
    Map specific weapon load outs
    A new medic system (which was promised back in closed beta)
    More official AA2 maps (It will bring people back, just saying)

Of course other things like a tournament mode would help as well.
    I like the idea of the attachment system, but I would consider it to be a big change to the gameplay (Obviously assuming the attachments affect the way the weapon handles), so I would definitely try it out.
    I'm not sold on new game modes or even a new medic system, those are more passive changes that don't really shake things up as much.

What would've been huge on release is a ranking system with matchmaking to create some buzz around the game. Even with flawed game mechanics, the competitive environment is addictive by itself and I'm sure the player retention would be much higher. There's the catch 22 of needing players to get something like that off the ground but needing it to attract and retain players, that's why the best chance of working would've been on release.
    edited June 2016
    Matchmaking with an accompanying ranking system would definitely be a huge help for the game. I feel like it's almost a standard must-have feature in modern FPS games.
  • Sr.GatilhoSr.Gatilho Posts: 51Player
    Don't forget to remove revives.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    I had a friend over at my house try the game a few days ago, I've known him since my teenage years when we used to do a level each on super mario world in my mums spare room, fashioned into a games parlor. He'd never even heard of AA past or present.. I bigged it up a little, told him it's a good game and that he'd like it since he's a bit of a COD/BF guy and it's kinda sorta along the same vein but more "realistic".
    He took to the swivel chair like a big kid, got into a server and got familiar with the keys.
    When asking him what his initial thoughts were he didn't say much other than he thought the game looked quite good. He ran around and got killed a few times and asked "how do you play this!" in a rather surprised way, he said he thought the game was far too hard and moving/aiming didn't feel right (probably my lowish sensitivity and mouse had a lot to do with it). I kept giving him tips and telling him how to bandage, secure etc.. told him that he was rushing around the map like an idiot and it's not a good idea on AAPG. He lasted about 15 mins before getting up off the seat and asking me to take over.. naturally I tried to show him how it's done but it'd been a while since I last played so I didn't do particularly well either (which didn't give me any sort of opportunity to gloat) :lol:

I asked him to download it and give it some more time and he'd get used to it but when I asked yesterday, he hadn't and said he wasn't going to bother and told me to "get back on COD".

I learned a couple things, I think new players are struggling to get into the game since they are getting destroyed by those of us still playing, just as soon as they even 'try' to play and that my friend has no patience or willingness to wean himself off of COD's nipple.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

The fact that the game is full of RNG-based mechanics is very discouraging for new players at the subconscious level. They might not know or understand the specifics but they feel that they make no progress because, tbh, the only progress you make in this game is map knowledge. Might not be the case for the 15 minutes of a cod player but for a lot of people dropping the game after an hour or two can definitely be.

Its funny how these mechanics that lower the skill ceiling to help new players fail to do just that while killing the longevity for everyone else, because they boil down the game to the physical aptitude of each player instead of game knowledge or mastery. The encounters become incredibly predictable since there is no way around the fact that player X is straight up better than Y and will forever be.
    This is also the fuel to the rampant accusations we see daily.

There is no way to avoid this problem until people realize that this is the wrong approach to welcome new players. What help/advice can we actually provide? Are you spraying the m4? Yes? Than that's pretty much it, you just have to be faster and smarter.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    The only way to keep new players from being fodder is to separate the new players. Having a game that supposedly requires more skill will only make it WORSE if the people who have mastered it are allowed to play with the people who haven't.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was part of a wrecking crew the other day that mopped the floor with some newbies. Not something to be proud of....

Good players should play against good players, and then go HELP new players.

Giving players who want to have some kind of a "Challenge" often means "I need x number of kills with a pistol. Hmmm......better hit a newb server."

:(

1) Match-making :+1:

2) New Player Servers :+1: (filtered by match-making criteria....or at least XPM level....not KDR)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • .dcG-ccoR^.dcG-ccoR^ Posts: 84Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    The only way to keep new players from being fodder is to separate the new players....

Giving players who want to have some kind of a "Challenge" often means "I need x number of kills with a pistol. Hmmm......better hit a newb server."

2) New Player Servers :+1: (filtered by match-making criteria....or at least XPM level....not KDR)

• {4F}DeadlyGrouse{4F}DeadlyGrouse Posts: 277Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    The only way to keep new players from being fodder is to separate the new players. Having a game that supposedly requires more skill will only make it WORSE if the people who have mastered it are allowed to play with the people who haven't.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was part of a wrecking crew the other day that mopped the floor with some newbies. Not something to be proud of....

Good players should play against good players, and then go HELP new players.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    By the way....did you know maps in the editor can be set to Training mode with just a check box, meaning no scoring is generated? I think that would be perfect for going to a server to goof off and maybe help some guys without worry it was killing your stats...
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.