BSP collision types? Can't block weapons.

Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,609Beta Tester
After covering my BSP with an MIC, I can't figure out how to make the object stop bullets. It blocks players. What gives?
______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    It's most likely that the material your using to cover the BSP has no physical material assigned to it. To test place a mesh behind the offending wall and check for projectile damage and/or bring up the properties of the material and assign it a physical material.

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,609Beta Tester
    I did all that. I can't figure it out!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    edited May 2016
    Where in the content browser and what is the name of the material your using? I just tested covering a BSP cube with

'Custom_Checkpoint_03.ArcadeWall01_CMZ_INST'

j59f2c.jpg

and it worked fine, I think most all materials in the stock game have physical materials already applied to them. Your re-building geometry after adding the BSP?

It was a metal Material Instance Constant with a Metal phys mat.

You won't believe this....I made a couple of quick test BSP's of different thicknesses. Bullets go through thinner BSP regardless of material!!

Obviously, there's a setting in there somewhere!

:o
    ______

edited May 2016
    Some physical materials will allow the passage of bullets depending on the power of weapon/ammunition used when shot at. For example, the wood physical material on most of the cardboard maps ingame allow most all calibers/bullets to pass, but say they were using something like a concrete wall then they wouldn't. If you know the exact name of the material I can check. BSP in itself should completely block projectiles and pawns regardless of its thickness.

Might be worth testing using a different material on the same BSP plain if only to eliminate the possibility of the material itself being the issue.

If its something you really want, you can always assign a more 'stronger' version of the metal phys mat to the material.

This material has penetration factor of 2, but I'm using the M4 as standard in the editor. That just affects which gun will penetrate. I don't see a thickness spec?
    ______

edited May 2016
    Thickness of the BSP shouldn't matter, if it were 'unskinned' plain ol checkerbox BSP then bullets wouldn't (well shouldn't) pass through, but you'd also have no indication of bullet hit since defacto BSP has no physical material.

I think its the properties of the material itself that you've put on it that's allowing passage of projectiles, at least that's about all I can come up with anyway :lol:

You may need a true mapping guru to give you a more 'solid' answer :lol:

(horrible pun, cant help it)

Well, this is my point. A thin BSP covered with this metal material allows bullets, but a thicker one doesn't. I can't see anywhere that is specified, unless it's in the projectile properties itself, where it only penetrates so far?

Hmm.
    ______

giphy.gif

If all else fails.. You could always switch out the BSP for a static mesh wall :)

That GIF is disturbing, especially his big bulging quads. Ick.

I'll have to keep experimenting with the materials in my map and let you know what I find.
    ______

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    edited May 2016
    have you used solid brush or semi-solid ? and how thick is your wall ?
    Default, whatever it is....I'll go do a test map...
    ______

Yep. I don't know how to change the brush properties, so I did Menu > Brush > Add Special - Solid.

I covered it in Metal_01_MAT_INST

The railing-skinny BSP could be shot through. The chunky block would shoot through the corners until it got "about" 1 foot (30cm) thick. Then, it blocked bullets.

I ... have .... no idea.
    ______

HANG ON....

I used the same sized brush to create BSP with different materials .... the metal above, concrete, and wood.

Metal - shoot through
    Concrete -no shoot
    Wood - shoot through

And....thicker WOOD blocked bullets, so there is two things going on here.
    ______

I'd be almost sure its the physical material, Altan did a write up once (and a video) showing the different penetrative effects of each physical material.. using a pistol he shot at various types of surface all with different properties.

It sounds like the metal and wood have varying stopping power. For example, an M4 caliber might be enough to break through but a shot from a pistol might be stopped. I'm not sure if the distance you are to the wall when your shooting at it is a factor either..

You got me curious to test some things too :dizzy:

25pihhk.jpg

Here's my scenario.. 3 different BSP wall thicknesses with Metal_01_MAT_INST on them.. The thinnest could be shot through the other 2 were a no go. The physical material assigned to Metal_01_MAT_INST is the

AAPhysMats.2_ARs_Metal_PhysMat

theoretically that phys mat should allow the power of Saw's and upward types of ammo through the surface, meaning Pistol, M4 and shotgun should be blocked.. but I also found that was not the case on the thinnest of the three walls. Maybe you are right and wall thickness plays a part :)

So just to be extra sure, I slapped on the strongest metal phys mat

svp1qu.jpg

AAPhysMats.4_None_Metal_PhysMat

onto the wall and it blocked all the bullets from all the guns, So what did I/we learn? nowt.. that's what :lol:

SAW and M16 and M4 'should' all be the same bullet and barrel length....therefore same power. Are they different?!

Anyway...ya. I have no answer for this. I want thin metal railings that block bullets. I'll have to try that other one...
    ______

edited May 2016
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    SAW and M16 and M4 'should' all be the same bullet and barrel length....therefore same power. Are they different?!

I think they are probably made to be different for 'game' purposes. It irks me somewhat that the shotgun penetrates next to nothing in the game, but has no problem getting through body armor plates :)

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,163Beta Tester
    Yes originally the first pm that was in game, wasn't stopping all projectiles, so another one was made. There are different types of pm. Also if you're using single/plain bsp, your material will need to be double sided otherwise you'll have problem. And most importantly, stay to minimum of 16uu on all walls, floors, ceiling. The engine intends to act up with anything less than that. That's why you see so much of weapons or player feet, hands showing throw walls, doors etc. I always try and do at least 32uu on my bsp, unless I have no choice, then I make sure I have the proper pm being used with the material.
    Oh, oh. I just made stair railings out of BSP! I guess I need to learn to make meshes. There are no good railings!

:(
    ______