warning to all map makers

(Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
edited May 2016 in Mission Editor - Support
if you have used the static mesh (mountain rock cmz 01 )in any of your maps in playable areas you will find that collision has been taken away ,(last patch) to fix ( a problem ) , now you have rocks that people can hide /run through .

so have fun rebuilding

1.jpg

Comments

• ModtoolsModtools Posts: 282Player
    yeah i have perhaps a solution.
    Only create a copy of the rock asset.
    [rightclick--->save--->then rightclick--->create copy then select your mapfolder]
    now go to to this rock(or use the find option)
    select it and use the select option or ctl + E to select all of the similar aktors in your level
    then rightclick and replace with the asset you did copy
    then go to content browser and search for this asset
    (or rightclick and use find in cb)
    then open the staticmesh editor and unselect all collisionmodel options
    they are three below -> then perpolycollision is enabled if you did enable it at the materialarea in
    staticmesh editor

(other solution might be to make a blocking volume but the method above does 100% work)

Hope i could help
    Gz your Modtools
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    i know , was more of a warning to people to check their maps , maybe some haven't used it , i in particular have on many occasions , 1 map in particular :p
  • RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    edited May 2016
    Used it a tons of time...... O.o ......oh my god!!!! Someone reported it to Devs....we need an hotfix!!!! :(
    edited May 2016
    hotfix ..... :-P perhaps my post will help
    thats the reason i make a backup of all assets in the game every update
    if you need one you can import it back into the game
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,609Beta Tester
    I wish this was on the release notes list somewhere....

:(

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    its a catch 22 , they removed the collision to fix the issue where pings would start to jump up when playing maps with this asset in game , so im not sure if you made a copy of the asset and added collision , you would just add the original problem back
    I don't know either and I'd like to!!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    Well this is embarrassing . Thats alot of maps removed until the designers can fix/replace them
    Both of my maps that are still on the Workshop use that asset. I've also customized other assets with per poly and reimported into the package so that's what would have to happen.

I'd like Dev input on how the community can improve our maps to avoid the issue they fixed, instead of us just re-making the same problem with OUR 'fixes.'

______

• =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    Actually All my maps have been pulled down due to the removal of some assets completely and modification on others. TBH I dont understand why so much gets messed around with the assets at all. On top of that add a new sound engine.....You would think there wouldn't be much to alter/change or fix. I must be missing something...like all my maps.
    edited May 2016
    so another point to make maps out of BSP's :-P
    Actually All my maps have been pulled down due to the removal of some assets completely and modification on others. TBH I dont understand why so much gets messed around with the assets at all. On top of that add a new sound engine.....You would think there wouldn't be much to alter/change or fix. I must be missing something...like all my maps.

We all feel your pain man and now with one editor broken and the other running like it on a commodore 64 it will take forever to get back those maps and lack of communication as to what is happening just makes it worse
    Modtools wrote: »
    so another point to make maps out of BSP's :-P

That wasnt the point he was making
    yeah hes right it needs a hotfix there are more mountain and rockassets having now nomore collision -.- and you cannot go the easy way to set perpoly because its disabled , even if you reimport it
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,163Beta Tester
    If you haven't already done so, please bug it. The more people bug it the better.
  • [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 329Developer
    Thanks for the heads up and sorry for breaking everyone's stuff! We are looking into this issue right now. The fix Modtools posted will serve as a temporary solution to this issue. The issue we were addressing revolved around a lot of people proning around on per poly assets in maps (was happening a lot on Rocky Road for example) and shouldn't occur much on a majority of UMMs.

Regardless, we are looking in to the issue and will strive to get a real fix in ASAP.

Is this the only asset people are having problems with?
    So, the asset in question is one we only use in the background of maps, which is why the decision was made to remove collision from the asset. You may find the issue with a couple other assets in the Props_Mountains_01 package on the off chance you are shrinking mountains way down and using them in playspace. We will restore the collision to 'Mountain_Rock_CMZ_01' and just remove its collision where needed within the maps themselves.

It is also worth noting that this update added new rock and boulder assets to the Props_Rocks_01 package. Some of these assets may serve your needs better than scaling down background assets does, so be sure to check those out for future use.
    THX Rawrster. You did save me from dying a painful dead in front of my screen. :+1: :+1: :+1:
    Did my solution really work o.O
    Yeah i did try it but it was a bit laggy :-D

THX DEVS
    HAPPY HOAAAAHHH
    Gz modtools
    think the main reason people myself included scaled that 1 down was lack of large rocks , there are a few rock faces in the editor that ,even though they have collision, you can see through them, or even slip inside in a few spots
    OK, so.... probably a bit of bad news coming up here.

Art has had time to look over the asset and the changes they made and will not be fixing the issue. The thought is this asset was a key contributor to some of the performance issues we were seeing. By restoring per poly collision to the asset we increase the likelihood of that performance issue popping up when people play your UMMs.

It is recommended that you find other assets to use in its place. As I mentioned before, we added a number of new rock/boulder assets to the Props_Rocks_01 package that are worth checking out.

If replacing this asset in your maps is a huge burden that you'd rather not deal with, Modtool's solution (second post in the thread) WILL work. It is about a 5 minute fix that will restore you map to its previous state. Just keep in mind that by doing this you run the risk of suffering performance issues in your map. If a number of people are proning around on your per poly assets they may experience short spurts of poor performance that feel like server hiccups from time to time.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We try to avoid these types of changes to assets for just this reason, but felt the need to do so in order to combat these performance issues we were seeing. We will do a better job of letting you know ahead of time should we introduce major asset changes in the future.