Any plans for official advertising?

13»

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    I say the best form of advertising is the product itself, where is the stat on how many unique people DL AAPG?

I'm sure that number would be high enough to have a decent player base IF the product itself were up to par.. sadly the player base says it's not.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,006Moderator
    doogle! wrote: »
    frankof wrote: »
    The game isnt the product, the Army is the product the game is advertising.
    Basically the game gets funded with Army PR budget.

If I have a 12" pizza to cook, I'm not going to use a microwave. The pizza is the product, but I can't enjoy the pizza without using the stove. Naw mean? Bad argument. And if the AAPG team is happy with the player base remaining stagnant, someone needs to be fired. I'm not talking about the contractors building the game, I'm talking about the GS in charge of making this thing tick.
    It wasn't an argument in any direction, just some fact.
    And your metaphor went totally over my head..
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 656Player
    edited April 2016
    All I'm getting at frankof, is the game IS the product. Someone decided to continue the AA franchise. There's some sort of goal in mind then, right? Whether it's viewed as a purely recruitment tool, entertainment, or a mixture of both, we fail at that goal if our numbers stay the way they are for another 3 years.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 323Beta Tester

The original AA release wasn’t perfect. But when you hype up a game like they did back in 2002 you don’t look for problems or believe poor reviews by some game geeks you’ve never heard of. (And to be honest, I don't recall any bad press at the time) You got the game and played it for hours and hours. Lots of people played through the bugs, patches and updates even after the Army pulled it’s support after moving on to AA3.

I think this is what the doogle (the OP) was asking about.
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Don't forget that back then advertisement was different as well.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,102Player
    Back then the Army was also able to advertise more because we were in a high profile and publicly supported war. Things have changed greatly in that respect.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Back then the Army was also able to advertise more because we were in a high profile and publicly supported war. Things have changed greatly in that respect.

Good point. The American community has grown weary of this decade+ long war, but support for the troops is still very high.

But "advertise more" implies there's a shred of advertisement out now. Does AAPG get a cut of the server rentals for official servers? Maybe they should, and maybe that money should be used for advertising.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 323Beta Tester
    doogle wrote: ...Does AAPG get a cut of the server rentals for official servers? Maybe they should, and maybe that money should be used for advertising.

This subject has been broached before. As I recall it was reported that there is no legal way that any branch of the American Armed Services can profit financially from any endeavour they are involved in. Even if the funds raised were to go directly back into said endeavour and save the American taxpayers.

Now Private Military Contractors well, that’s a uniform of a different camo pattern, isn’t it! ;)
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
  • iNv|mikEy2kiNv|mikEy2k Posts: 96Player
    Glad to see that the Devs have interest in this thread. 3 pages and not 1 response. RIP advertising idea.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,184Player
    edited April 2016
    http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/comment/19211/#Comment_19211
    FunPolice wrote: »
    They were all contacted, we can't force them to run our game though :(
    We reached out to 1, 838 outlets and games media people.

Game has been advertised, AA had no power to publish the press packs for them, I can't see how they could have done more at the time, so blame lies on the people not showcasing a game for which they had been sent information to run a story on their media.. for whatever reason.

If there was a time advertising was most important it was back when the game was released out of beta.. that was THE window of opportunity and they did try it.. but seemingly and unfortunately nobody famous actually bit.

Maybe if some of the more well known sites had ran a story, we'd be seeing and experiencing things differently now? who can say :(
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

[Gen]Adzic wrote: »

Game has been advertised, AA had no power to publish the press packs for them, I can't see how they could have done more at the time, so blame lies on the people not showcasing a game for which they had been sent information to run a story on their media.. for whatever reason.

If there was a time advertising was most important it was back when the game was released out of beta.. that was THE window of opportunity and they did try it.. but seemingly and unfortunately nobody famous actually bit.

Maybe if some of the more well known sites had ran a story, we'd be seeing and experiencing things differently now? who can say :(

How many gaming sites are going to advertise a free game? Not even that, but I'm sure most AAA games pay these gaming outlets for the press and reviews. AA doesn't do that, so they won't get much press. The best way for the Army to advertise the game is word of mouth and showing up at these big techy/gaming conferences. Either way, the game still needs more in order to get there at this point.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,117Beta Tester
    How many gaming sites are going to advertise a free game? Not even that, but I'm sure most AAA games pay these gaming outlets for the press and reviews. AA doesn't do that, so they won't get much press. The best way for the Army to advertise the game is word of mouth and showing up at these big techy/gaming conferences. Either way, the game still needs more in order to get there at this point.

Time to close this thread. 1,000.000 % this! :+1:

Greedy bastages, it's all about the Benjamins nowadays.

[Gen]Adzic wrote: »

GameHack for example. Austin has a show coming up, big ol lan thingy. AAPG needs a booth.
  • POTATO.rzintegraPOTATO.rzintegra Posts: 46Player
    Duke_Audi wrote: »

Wow that brought back some good memories, specially in Insurgent Camp and the M50. also some long crawling for the sniper training.

Thanks for the Link!!!
    ss_POTATO.rzintegra_4.png
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 429Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    the best form of advertising is the product itself...
    I'm sure that number would be high enough to have a decent player base IF the product itself were up to par.. sadly the player base says it's not.

Nailed it. I read a lot about how it's "close" to being really good, this small tweak and that.

No! None of what I've read or heard brings it up to par. No "fix" or amount of advertisement is going to make this a 20k solid player base game. Only this small knit community gives it a high rating. There are plenty of people who played AA2 and AA3 and also now AAPG who support the AA series. If it hasn't already been talked about, it's time to plan for the next AA which brings everyone back or re-establishes a much larger player base.

Maybe we have to wait for the next war...
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    I don't see AAPG being abandoned any time soon unless the Army is secretly working on AA5 behind the scenes. Either way, I'd still like to see the game with a few large content patches. It's been a while since we got new stuff.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 429Player
    I don't see AAPG being abandoned any time soon unless the Army is secretly working on AA5 behind the scenes. Either way, I'd still like to see the game with a few large content patches. It's been a while since we got new stuff.

Released Oct 2015, yeah I doubt it.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!