Recent Lag

2»

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester
    edited March 2016
    Well, first of all, FPS has nothing to do with networking...

It's possible you have hardware issues. If your CPU or gpu are running too hot, they may have built in commands to throttle down to avoid damage.

That's one of the reasons that checking dust, fan function, and even heat sink looseness or paste can help.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • thebigman707thebigman707 Posts: 23Player
    Yeah, I am starting to think it is more hardware-related seeing as I've had a couple other issues outside of AA (i.e. crashes). But my best piece of evidence is that one day it was running along perfectly fine, and then I got a notification during gameplay that my disk space was low and PlaysTV (some stupid thing that game with my AMD driver, not sure if other people use it) could no longer record gameplay. And at that very moment the game sputtered down to 12 fps and was again unplayable. What could this indicate? I've since then uninstalled that application, deleted the 20+ GB of videos it had recorded, cleaned up all my disk space, etc, and still no improvement in gameplay.

Thoughts??
    There is a huge problem that happens when two unrelated things happen at the same time...it makes you think the two are related. I'm not saying one way or the other but true problem solving has to look past possible correlation and pick apart what's actually happening. It's INCREDIBLY difficult to get good information these days due to complexity, each system being somewhat unique, and the fact that everyone spouts 'opinions' as facts....including people like me.

So...you have to pick it apart one item at a time and compare to others with similar systems.

Have you been using any info tools for the processor or GPU to see if while playing your system is throttling?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    No I have not. Can you recommend a good one(s)? I'm running Win 7, with an SSD, AMD graphics card and 8 GB of RAM. Windows is fully updated, as well as steam. Thanks
    @frankof ....you know a lot about this stuff. What are some good monitoring tools and key guidelines to go by?

I think that AMD seems to be popping up a lot on these forums...
    ______

• =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 172Beta Tester
    It sounds like a network issue to me. Next time you are in game write down the ip for a few servers you frequent. Download the program below and run to see what might be the issue, i agree with m_herman in that it will likely be a hop that is very close to you.
    https://pingplotter.com/freeware.html
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    @frankof ....you know a lot about this stuff. What are some good monitoring tools and key guidelines to go by?

I think that AMD seems to be popping up a lot on these forums...
    For networking?
    PingPlotter, the free version will do fine.
    Get the ip from the server you play on, set ping plotter to ping it parallel to you gaming.
    Something like every 3-5s, keep 300 samples and running infinitely.

It wont be 100% accurate as its using a different protocol than the game, and with a little bad luck it might be routed differently, and not all servers are set up to respond to ping.
    But it will give you a indication if a server is dropping packets along the route.
    (100% PL = server is set to ignore ping request, or dead)
    ss_4_frankof.png
    edited April 2016
    Thanks guys. However...any time someone talks about lag, you have to look at what is being said because of the misuse of the term.

He's talking about major FPS drops.

I was hoping for CPU/GPU tools.

:)

______

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    Core temp, cpu temp readout, and some other stuff
    Gpu-Z, gpu load, temp, memusage
    FRAPS, for logging frame times, takes a little magic in i.e. excel to get understandable readouts.

In game, stat unitgraph command is pretty useful, have it running and check if you have some type or repeatable pattern, if it is loging with fraps to get frame times are the next step
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • {4F}DeadlyGrouse{4F}DeadlyGrouse Posts: 277Player
    Hardware Monitor is a good one to use for temps and speeds.
    Guys, I appreciate the responses. Since I lasted posted I've determined the source of the problem: GPU. It might be failing but I'm hoping I just have a driver issue. I'm going to look into it further but i'm pretty sure that my GPU was causing the issues I've described above.

Any knowledge on the topic? HP Envy 17t-3200 w/ AMD Radeon HD 7800M)

For the record, I used SMART to check the health of both my SSD and HDD, I tested my RAM, and I stress tested the CPU all without any issue. I tested the GPU (Mark 3d something or other) and it performed horribly. I've also had other issues indicating GPU failure--not happy.
  • dT.NontydT.Nonty Posts: 7Player
    Guys, I appreciate the responses. Since I lasted posted I've determined the source of the problem: GPU. It might be failing but I'm hoping I just have a driver issue. I'm going to look into it further but i'm pretty sure that my GPU was causing the issues I've described above.

Any knowledge on the topic? HP Envy 17t-3200 w/ AMD Radeon HD 7800M)

For the record, I used SMART to check the health of both my SSD and HDD, I tested my RAM, and I stress tested the CPU all without any issue. I tested the GPU (Mark 3d something or other) and it performed horribly. I've also had other issues indicating GPU failure--not happy.

Is your laptop charging whilst playing?
    Some laptops seem to run at slower speeds when not charging (like mine) 15 fps when not plugged in to over 100 when plugged in.