I'd like to hear your opinion about Arma 3: What do you think about Arma 3?

[Nomad][Nomad] Posts: 15Player
edited April 2016 in R&R
I've searched and didn't find any related topic about this. Hope it's ok to talk about Arma 3 here. If it's not mods can remove this and my apologies.

Anyways... What do you guys think about Arma 3? Do you play it? Is it good? AA:PG vs. Arma 3? Is it really comparable? Anything you wanna say or share about Arma 3.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinion.

*Edit: The reason I'm asking here is that right now AA:PG is the only best & FREE FPS so far. I want to hear more objective opinion from AA fans only and not other places.

Thanks!

Comments

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,116Beta Tester
    This should be in R&R. Personally I think it sucks, I wouldn't touch it with 10 foot pole. Not my cup of tea, played it for like 30 minutes, and it was 30 minutes wasted from my life that I can never get back. But yeah, I can tell you how I really feel about it if you'd like? ;)
  • [Nomad][Nomad] Posts: 15Player
    This should be in R&R. Personally I think it sucks, I wouldn't touch it with 10 foot pole. Not my cup of tea, played it for like 30 minutes, and it was 30 minutes wasted from my life that I can never get back. But yeah, I can tell you how I really feel about it if you'd like? ;)

What things you didn't like about it specifically? Animation? Mechanics? Graphics? or Other?
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    *Moved to R&R
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,116Beta Tester
    Felt very clunky for me. Like I was playing sims or something. I hate the movement, weapons. Just don't feel right for me.
  • -=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI--=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI- Posts: 126Beta Tester
    edited April 2016
    i have 500 hours into Arma III, and i like it but it does have problems... if you think AAPG is not optimized, then you haven't played arma. outside of cities i get 40-50 FPS, in towns cities i have dropped as low as 19 fps. thats on an i7, 16 gigs ram, GTX670FTW. they have done an amazing job emulating a massive playing enviornment, authentic ballistics (try killing someone 2kms away where you have to compensate for bullet drop), vehicles (tanks, trucks, helis and fixed wing aircraft), and a huge selection of weapons. with this level of detail, also comes the inherent bugs and glitches... although Arma does patch regularly. they have excellent MOD support - you can download the battleship USS IOWA if you wanted (although the server would need to have it in their map version to use it )

Wolverine is right though, the feel of the pawn feels clunky compared to AAPG, BF3, Insurgency, CS:GO, COD.... but it is not trying to be one of those types of shooter games. there are movement penalties, damage penalties, etc that all have an effect. i know there is alot of times where i go to crouch and it feels like an eternity before it happens. i have yet to see anyone try that repeated crouch-stand-crouch garbage in arma (or the speed corner peek-shoot). they do have a LOT of controls just for movement... it is freaky Romanian Gymnast hand crippling controls. Mind you, most are unnecessary and i use the same controls that i use in AAPG.

if you doubt that, here is the WIKI, and here is a Youtube video (at about 2:38, it gets into the different stances)

if you want realism, Fun and can deal with some frustrations then its worth the money. Just wait untill a sale on steam to buy it. i have see it go for 40% off before.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 490Beta Tester
    edited April 2016
    Arma is an excellent pick - if you like this type of game. It has many issues you would never forgive for any other game, for example: multiplayer performance, collision issues, and pain in the *ss player-object interaction etc... The learning curve is steep and long.

However Arma is simply amazing in other aspects. Without modding I've put 500 hours into this game. It simply has so many possibilities: want to go hiking to admire the scenery? Go ahead! Want to have a firefight in a forest/ on a hill/ in a city/ underwater? Want to have a dogfight? Want to annihilate enemy infantry from a helicopter just for the sake of destruction? Want to see a 20 v 20 tank battle of the AI? It's all extremely simple to set up in the in game editor and the possibilities are only limited by your creativity (and PC).

Combine this with the massive amount of user-made missions, weapon packs, entire maps... you essentially have unlimited content and even more ways to use it. In my opinion the true power of Arma is in the sandbox, because no game comes even close to it in this regard. They might have better controls, better performance etc. but if you want this kind of flexibility it's the best you can go for.

The game is updated frequently as well. Many of these updates are not about content, but more focused on game mechanics and other aspects. They also have a great DLC policy as well.

Arma is not the game I play all the time, but it's a lot of fun when I do. I'm more of a casual Arma player...

There are many multiplayer groups as well with different gamestyles, but I'm not into that aspect of Arma.

P.S: Yes, I'm kind of a fanboy...
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.