What if some players are using Spectator to ghost?

Comments

• -VI-#Sunvon.--VI-#Sunvon.- Posts: 47Player
    U can actually see only ur teammates view if u died and the normal spectator mode has no teammates...
  • Prim1505Prim1505 Posts: 21Player
    On some servers they kick spectators if they doint join, in my opinion a good cause.
    But im sure its even worse with clanmembers on TS, well if they feel good with it let them.
    There s nothing you can do about it.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Yeah, not allowing new players to spectate and learn is definitely a good cause, keep it up guys!
  • TrIn@dOr^SuRTrIn@dOr^SuR Posts: 215Player
    Only allow full Spectate with a password (like an admin but only view mode).

When you are playing pub mode, don't give that password... when you are in a match, only give that password to streamers...
  • GunR|DrerexGunR|Drerex Posts: 65Player
    I actually caught a guy doing this on our server one time. There was a player in spectate and a player that was playing really well. Just happened to know where everyone was at any given time. I spectated him for a while and it didn't look like he had any cheats running because he had recoil and was not following anyone behind walls. For a while, I just thought he was really good. Never kicked the guy due to no proof. So the next day while looking over the screenshots, I kept coming across screenshots of the full map within each map that was played. I noticed that the full map screenshots were always from the same guy in spectate. See below for an example. So I went on to investigate a little further.

I did a background check on the player in spectate. Come to find out, the spectate player had a shared IP address of the player that was playing really well. The spectate player had changed his name at least once or twice a day. Also, the spectate player's profile had very little points, like a noob would have after about a day of gameplay. So I check the steam profile and noticed that the public profile wasn't even created yet. Just numbers with nothing else. So I dug deeper. Went and checked the screenshots on some of the other servers he has been on. Sure enough, both the spectate player and the player that was doing really well were on each server at the same time. That was enough for me to add both of the players to the ban lists on my servers.

In the pic below, I did cross out the players name and GUID. Did not want to cross the line on the forum rules.
    i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af231/Drerex/SelfGhosting_zpskpsa6tl6.jpg
    Untitled_zpsqiypm7mn.png

• TrIn@dOr^SuRTrIn@dOr^SuR Posts: 215Player
    OMG, what a loser!!
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    edited March 2016
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    IO_i_OI wrote: »
    I've caught some clans members who have ghosted in TS but almost all of the time it was unintentional and their clan mates would immediately let them know about it. Players in game do it all the time accidentally because they forget they are dead. So it is common to forget your status. Unfortunately, anyone can get on a TS channel and ghost intentionally all day long. This problem will never be resolved. At least we get to see the Spectators.

I don't think you quite understand the term ghosting, at least not how it's commonly used for online gaming.

LOL. You're joking! Right!

Ghosting Definition: A term used in Multiplayer games like Counter Strike to describe players who use multiple clients to gain information about enemy positions illegally. Usually two players playing on the same server and team giving each other information when one or the other is dead and can see everything.

http://geekdictionary.computing.net/

I never said there was only one way to ghost. I just gave one example.
    googley avatar aapg

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    I actually caught a guy doing this on our server one time. There was a player in spectate and a player that was playing really well. Just happened to know where everyone was at any given time. I spectated him for a while and it didn't look like he had any cheats running because he had recoil and was not following anyone behind walls. For a while, I just thought he was really good. Never kicked the guy due to no proof. So the next day while looking over the screenshots, I kept coming across screenshots of the full map within each map that was played. I noticed that the full map screenshots were always from the same guy in spectate. See below for an example. So I went on to investigate a little further.

I did a background check on the player in spectate. Come to find out, the spectate player had a shared IP address of the player that was playing really well. The spectate player had changed his name at least once or twice a day. Also, the spectate player's profile had very little points, like a noob would have after about a day of gameplay. So I check the steam profile and noticed that the public profile wasn't even created yet. Just numbers with nothing else. So I dug deeper. Went and checked the screenshots on some of the other servers he has been on. Sure enough, both the spectate player and the player that was doing really well were on each server at the same time. That was enough for me to add both of the players to the ban lists on my servers.

In the pic below, I did cross out the players name and GUID. Did not want to cross the line on the forum rules.
    i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af231/Drerex/SelfGhosting_zpskpsa6tl6.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is the cause of this and what gave this person this idea.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• GunR|DrerexGunR|Drerex Posts: 65Player
    Well if you put it that way colts, now I feel bad posting it. lol! At least I made server admins aware of this. Haha! Now days, when I see someone in spectate, I usually remove them if the server isn't full and they have been in spectate for more that a round. If I know the player in spectate or if they said they will be back, I will give it to the beginning of the next match. That is because I know some people might have to take care of something outside of the game but down want to lose the points they have gained.
    Untitled_zpsqiypm7mn.png

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    edited March 2016
    Well if you put it that way colts, now I feel bad posting it. lol! At least I made server admins aware of this. Haha! Now days, when I see someone in spectate, I usually remove them if the server isn't full and they have been in spectate for more that a round. If I know the player in spectate or if they said they will be back, I will give it to the beginning of the next match. That is because I know some people might have to take care of something outside of the game but down want to lose the points they have gained.
    Spectator could also be a cheese-eater hunter ;)
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • ^The_Good_Guy^^The_Good_Guy^ Posts: 8Player
    I think this topic is overblown in my opinion,

its hard for me to imagine Gunr example as being the norm, did this person actually go to a pub server and had his/her friend ghost for him/her to gain an advantage in gameplay..................

not saying it does not happen but I myself have been a victim of "ghosting" effect when I was in clans, id have a fellow clan member in spectate for w/e reason and got accused of ghosting because I was playing decent and getting kills.

for those that ghost.... really how bad do you need to be at the game to go to that lvl, id personally download a few cheats or macros or walls before id have another player "ghost" for me

• CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    Spectator could also be a cheese-eater hunter ;)
    I often do this...And just chill in spectate waiting to join the losing team or play with a friend. :D
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    At this point, I almost get more advantage from good sound than I would from a second screen. Before you splutter about what I'm crazy-talking about, I find the sound EXTREMELY easy to tell where someone is, but I know others don't find this to be true. I feel bad because I can make those shots so easily and I'm sure it looks bad to others.

:(

All I have is a G930 headset plugged into USB on a Z87 Mobo, straight up, no tweaks but a lot of volume. (Meh...I already have permanent tinnitus from real gunshots...)

I therefore wonder if some others also have a sound advantage and that's what's happening.

I don't know how to deal with this, but I guarantee it's happening because I do it every day I play.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    At this point, I almost get more advantage from good sound than I would from a second screen. Before you splutter about what I'm crazy-talking about, I find the sound EXTREMELY easy to tell where someone is, but I know others don't find this to be true. I feel bad because I can make those shots so easily and I'm sure it looks bad to others.

All I have is a G930 headset plugged into USB on a Z87 Mobo, straight up, no tweaks but a lot of volume. (Meh...I already have permanent tinnitus from real gunshots...)

I therefore wonder if some others also have a sound advantage and that's what's happening.

I don't know how to deal with this, but I guarantee it's happening because I do it every day I play.

^^^ this is what a bunch of people forget. With a decent pair of headphones you can hear very well. (which is a good thing). Some players spend hundreds of dollars on hardware so that they can hear a more accurate representation of their surroundings.

Ghosting definitely happens and nothing can be done about that. But the reality of ALL pc gaming is that better hardware > cheap hardware. 'Better' in this case depends on your setup though so don't just go spending more money. Ask first.
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    For people using the G930's, go into your headset settings and raise your Sidetone slider to max. It might help with directional sound.

For people using the G930's, go into your headset settings and raise your Sidetone slider to max. It might help making directional sound more pronounced.
    googley avatar aapg

• ]B4n4nA[JoG@ry]B4n4nA[JoG@ry Posts: 220Player
    Was on the ATAS server last week and noticed that we had a spectator who had been there for a while. I did a ACI check then looked at his profile on AAPG website and noticed that it had never been used. It had never fired a shot with any weapon. Back to ACI and got IP address. Then matched it with a player who was active on server and same IP address and asked him to close the spectating account. He as most chees eaters do ignored me. So I proceeded to inform the whole server he had a spectating account. Some players said he was not cheese eating and that he was a pro and that why he was owning the map!!!!! I told them the evidence speaks for its self and provided the GUI off both accounts for them to check for them self's. Some prominent clan members did just that and came back and challenged him on it and asked him to explain himself. He then team killed me and left the server. This guy plays often and has a high rank but regretfully I cant out him on here. Anyhow I think private server admins should think about removing the view through walls spectator mode.
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    edited March 2016
    Soon to be closed. ;)
    But I say, poor people that feel the need to cheat.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
    (I thought sidetone was about room balance so your headset doesn't seem like an earmuff to deaden sound and you can hear yourself talk....? This should NOT affect directionality!)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    This video was put together with help from Duke_Audi as a test of directional sound using the G930 setup I mentioned above. This doesn't disprove the idea of ghosting, but shows how difficult it can be to tell the difference when someone has good directional sound.

______

• CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    This video was put together with help from Duke_Audi as a test of directional sound using the G930 setup I mentioned above. This doesn't disprove the idea of ghosting, but shows how difficult it can be to tell the difference when someone has good directional sound.

To answer your comment at the end, we all could hear like that with beta sound. :p

Interesting video; thanks for sharing.