Sound from directly behind

Has anyone figured out the whole issue of guys coming from behind completely silent? I can typically hear guys from all over, but behind me is often a mystery. Guys will walk at regular speed or even sprint and I won't hear it. I'm not sure if this happens every time or just sometimes. Is this intentional or just something that's broken? It seems odd that it's been a constant even in beta with the old sound system.
You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Comments

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Does this happen on User Made Maps as well or just official maps?
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I was spec-ing you when someome snuck up behind you Whippy. That was pretty weird, I agree.

:(
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    I even get this from people in front of me. I was sniping on Intercept Bridge (towards middle) and a guy rushed through the middle, through the water, and, bam, I was dead. Heard nothing until he started firing. There are so many spots on so many maps where people make little to no noise.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,157Player
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »

This was on Pipeline (UMM).
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Is it possible the enemy was using background fire to mask his movements? Just curious.
    googley avatar aapg

IO_i_OI wrote: »
    Is it possible the enemy was using background fire to mask his movements? Just curious.

Nope. Only thing I can think of is that I was sighted up. Maybe the game minimizes the sounds you hear when you're sighted up?
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

You play more UMM than me so gonna just have to take your word for it. The one thing is its not consistent though right? It's not every round/time someone can do that to you? It happens randomly?

edited February 2016
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

You play more UMM than me so gonna just have to take your word for it. The one thing is its not consistent though right? It's not every round/time someone can do that to you? It happens randomly?

Yeah, it seems very random. I would like to think it's when I scope up, but even at times when I'm not scoped up it happens.
    Play with everyone muted and record your gameplay see if we can nail down this issue. Just clips where it occurs.

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited February 2016
    I'm no expert but maybe some sounds are prioritized over others? Could it be a limitation somehow, like how many different audio tracks can be output from what is happening in game to your ears at one time?

Was a lot of stuff going on when it happens?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    NO worries if you have a good 6. Dream the Team.

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

• -vortex-vortex Posts: 188Player
    Bam4D wrote: »

Ignore the sound issues, get a better team. Got it.

Also with the sound engine changing to wwise I lost all my in game sound debugging commands. Wish they left those in, but it could be that too many things are going on at once.
    TheTots wrote:
    I think this thread has run it's course......
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    Bam4D wrote: »
    That would somewhat work if I could pick every member of my team. :D
    could be that too many things are going on at once.

My sound card is more than capable of handling that though it does in other games. Possible its an engine limitation? Regardless I do occasionally not hear people like whiplash is talking about I never noticed it in UMM's but I have not played UMM's enough to fully say. I could play matches and matches with no issue. But then boom it just happens randomly.

• -vortex-vortex Posts: 188Player

Possible its an engine limitation?

That's what I was referring too. I don't know enough about the new engine though.
    TheTots wrote:
    I think this thread has run it's course......

Possible its an engine limitation?

That's what I was referring too. I don't know enough about the new engine though.

No thats not what I mean. I am talking about UE3 not wwise. WWISE is fine.

edited February 2016
    What's funny is that I tend to also get times where enemy gun fire is pretty much silent as well. I hear the suppression noises and the bullets hitting around me, but no gunfire. It happens quite often actually.
    edited February 2016
    Here are two instances that I found interesting:

First, I get shot at from behind. You can hardly hear the sound of the rifle, it's extremely faint at best. Sure, there are sounds in the background, but the weapon that's firing closest to me should be the loudest. Then the guy is sprinting at me and I don't even hear him sprinting when he's a few feet away. Granted, my own gun fire will mask a lot of that, but even before I start shooting, his footsteps are not heard... it's kind of weird.

The second one, you can hear the guy coming from behind, but what's interesting is that first off he sounds like he's pretty far away from me. When he kills me, he's about 5 meters away. Second when he fires his weapon at me, I don't hear the gun fire until after I'm dead. I do hear the bullets hitting though. Lastly, after he kills me, his sound volume seems to increase a bit.

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,473Player
    edited February 2016
    Well I am glad to see others have this I thought it was just me.
    Was going to buy a new headset but now I will stick with the one I have :wink:
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    edited February 2016
    As a man who likes the takedown.. I've had many turn around as I approach, so may not be user wide.

Would also like to point out, there has been plenty that have felt my warm nuzzles. :love: They usually end up on this forum Flagging me and calling me troll ( can't take the HUGGING ) so the list is a who's who. :+1:

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________