ambient sound removal

2»

Comments

  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    edited February 2016
    That's one of the inconsistencies I was talking about. You hear a pin pull from spawn to spawn, you hear footsteps far apart, but someone sneaking up behind you while sprinting doesn't make a sound.

    Go test this in overload control room. Assault side room dampens sound so down you can hardly hear flashes or nades exploding in room (of course no movement sounds from outside or inside either) you switch to defense side room, suddenly you can hear any movements inside the assault side room.

    Both rooms have the same floor and walls.. go figure.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Clear case of bad equipment, I'm sure Bam can help out with the right setup.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited February 2016

    This is in my opinion something no one should be able to hear. Before asking ambient sounds to get removed, we should ask to make sure no one can tune their sound system this far, that we can hear sound across the map.

    Also why is it a big problem to loose hearing capacity at some ambient sounds? Being able to use environment sounds to your advantage in assault and being visually and tactically more aware (since you can no longer hear every single movement) in defense gives depth to the game. It does not take it away.
    This assuming there is no client side random sounds but only server side sounds synced across all clients at the same time

    The devs are the ones that set the max footstep distance I'm just hearing the max they are allowing me to sorry if my hardware/setup is better than everyone else's.
    That's one of the inconsistencies I was talking about. You hear a pin pull from spawn to spawn, you hear footsteps far apart, but someone sneaking up behind you while sprinting doesn't make a sound.

    Go test this in overload control room. Assault side room dampens sound so down you can hardly hear flashes or nades exploding in room (of course no movement sounds from outside or inside either) you switch to defense side room, suddenly you can hear any movements inside the assault side room.

    Both rooms have the same floor and walls.. go figure.

    Yes although I havnt tested overload but every map testing what I hear has been fine its when I get into live play 12v12 mostly where these random things like not hearing a guy over here happen. (Even though I am not shooting and nothing is going on around me)

    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.



  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    edited February 2016
    That's exactly what I meant, even with the best sound setup we shouldn't be able to hear footsteps that far in any map, especially when the other player is crouching on tactical. This needs to be looked at before removing ambient sounds IMO.

    I have the overload sound experience from playing 12v12 and didnt test it on empty server.

    But I have tested lower gallery sounds on inner. When 2 players walk in lower gallery. You don't hear the other player behind you at all. But when you step out of lower gallery into the gallery you can hear the same player walking in lower gallery just fine (player you are listening to is walking at all times on carpet in lower gallery) This makes no sense to me, how stepping out could alter the sound perception this much.

  • {4F}DeadlyGrouse{4F}DeadlyGrouse Posts: 277Player
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    I didn't change anything and hear sounds across the map. It's so confusing sometimes and I'll just start running from that nade that was pulled on the opposite side of the map.

    This made me laugh so hard because i do the same thing.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited February 2016
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    I didn't change anything and hear sounds across the map. It's so confusing sometimes and I'll just start running from that nade that was pulled on the opposite side of the map.

    This made me laugh so hard because i do the same thing.

    Same. So many times I run from nades and then they blow up so far away from me.

    Even though we have a new engine, sound is still way too inconsistent. I have the same setup as Colts (although I don't think my settings are the same). I can hear guys all over the place, but I have no idea if they're 5 or 20 meters away. Then in other instances I get choked from behind by some guy I had no idea where he came from. If I'm moving at normal speed, then there's no way the guy did anything but sprint up to me.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Hearing people pulling nades in choke from dark lobby can indeed be a little confusing :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.






  • flubbyflubby Posts: 51Player
    I've never experienced what you guys are describing about hearing the pin being pulled across the map. Are you guys overly tuning your sound? I just use stock MOBO audio, and the only setting I change is sound equalization, to make all sounds more or less the same volume (basically gunfire sounds more muffled and everything else is louder).

    ss_4_flubby.png
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Stock motherboard audio, no equalizer changes at all and it is like that.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester
    Yes, I think the sound distances are wonky, for me at least. Logi G930 ....I can hear everything REALLY well. Too well....
    ______

    This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited February 2016
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    I didn't change anything and hear sounds across the map. It's so confusing sometimes and I'll just start running from that nade that was pulled on the opposite side of the map.

    This made me laugh so hard because i do the same thing.

    Same. So many times I run from nades and then they blow up so far away from me.

    Even though we have a new engine, sound is still way too inconsistent. I have the same setup as Colts (although I don't think my settings are the same). I can hear guys all over the place, but I have no idea if they're 5 or 20 meters away. Then in other instances I get choked from behind by some guy I had no idea where he came from. If I'm moving at normal speed, then there's no way the guy did anything but sprint up to me.

    I have beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohms with xfi titanium hd did you get rid of that Asus sound card you had?

    BTW: I have no problems knowing where pins are being pulled from or the grenade call out is being made from, I also can tell where someone is by them firing their weapon. I rarely get choked(I did in the beginning of the new sound engine) But now I I hear them eventually so if they try to choke I use turn around in time to kill them. I also have no trouble telling how far away the footsteps are and how close they are. My only issues are in 12v12 maps and sometimes 6v6 maps, I will not hear someone when they are say 5 metres away from me but If they were lets say 15-25 metres away I would hear them. This is also when nothing is going on I am not shooting my gun, etc. (Then there is also the fact that those distances are inconsistent..For example: If you hear someone 15 metres forward you may not hear them if they are 15 metres on your right. Things like that. But in a 1v1 those problems are not there. Its very inconsistent.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.



  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited February 2016
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Yes, I think the sound distances are wonky, for me at least. Logi G930 ....I can hear everything REALLY well. Too well....

    Well a some point in the new sound engine development they increased the footstep distance (I can't seem to find the patch notes where this occured but I do remember reading it and I also noticed the change when playing the game right away - I thought the old distance was fine, Think it was 20m) because everyone was complaining about not hearing people up close(Those with bad sound - say onboard and 10$ headphones - they will likely not hear people very well, so they complained. You had me complaining say I could hear people at a distance fine but upclose was inconsistent and messed up. So I guess in an attempt to fix this they just upped the footstep distance. Which didnt fix anything but the make you hear further.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.



  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    I didn't change anything and hear sounds across the map. It's so confusing sometimes and I'll just start running from that nade that was pulled on the opposite side of the map.

    This made me laugh so hard because i do the same thing.

    Same. So many times I run from nades and then they blow up so far away from me.

    Even though we have a new engine, sound is still way too inconsistent. I have the same setup as Colts (although I don't think my settings are the same). I can hear guys all over the place, but I have no idea if they're 5 or 20 meters away. Then in other instances I get choked from behind by some guy I had no idea where he came from. If I'm moving at normal speed, then there's no way the guy did anything but sprint up to me.

    I have beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohms with xfi titanium hd did you get rid of that Asus sound card you had?

    BTW: I have no problems knowing where pins are being pulled from or the grenade call out is being made from, I also can tell where someone is by them firing their weapon. I rarely get choked(I did in the beginning of the new sound engine) But now I I hear them eventually so if they try to choke I use turn around in time to kill them. I also have no trouble telling how far away the footsteps are and how close they are. My only issues are in 12v12 maps and sometimes 6v6 maps, I will not hear someone when they are say 5 metres away from me but If they were lets say 15-25 metres away I would hear them. This is also when nothing is going on I am not shooting my gun, etc. (Then there is also the fact that those distances are inconsistent..For example: If you hear someone 15 metres forward you may not hear them if they are 15 metres on your right. Things like that. But in a 1v1 those problems are not there. Its very inconsistent.

    Oh didn't realize yo had the xfi titanium hd. Thought you had the Sound Blaster Z. I got the SB Z now. Same headphones as you.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    The problem that I had with svm in my setup was that even though I could crank up the sound and here things a little further away, I had too little spacial awareness and problems judging distance.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited February 2016
    ahh yah I got an Texas Instruments Headphone amp an earlier version of the headphone amp used in the ZXR which uses a TI 612A2 headphone amp (I think I read somewhere mine is a TI 612A1 The headphone amp in the Sound blaster z and Sound blaster zx is MAX97220A headphone amp. I also have the same type of DAC as the ZXR but an early version of it: TI Burr-Brown PCM 1792A the ZXR has a PCM1794 and a PCM1798 and the sound blaster z and zx has a Cirrus Logic CS4398 for a dac.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.



  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited February 2016
    The problem that I had with svm in my setup was that even though I could crank up the sound and here things a little further away, I had too little spacial awareness and problems judging distance.

    Then your sbz surround is not setup properly. Message me on steam.

    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.



Sign In or Register to comment.