Inner Hospital

Comments

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,159Beta Tester
    lol. I drink lots of Pepsi ( insert Mike voice here)
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    FunPolice wrote: »
    I've read articles with the same concerns with CS and Dust2.

It's a hard challenge to overcome.

This, an interview with two independent CS level designers, was probably one of them.
    http://steamed.kotaku.com/why-counter-strikes-best-map-is-also-a-big-problem-1695588704
    "You can't ever remove Dust2 from active duty because you can't ever remove Dust2 from matchmaking," said Snelling. "People would go crazy. They'll set things on fire."
    The central problem with Dust's dynasty, then, is twofold: 1) if you set out to design a new map, you've got to convince players that your map isn't heresy in the face of Dust and maps like it, and 2) it will always be a mainstay in casual and competitive scenes, even if the way it's played doesn't change all that much anymore.

To the first issue, Snelling and Garozzo said there are upsides and downsides. First, the bad: Counter-Strike players have a very low tolerance for maps that aren't perfect, aren't on Dust's level. They've been playing on it for so long, after all. Why should they? As a result, you only really get one shot to make a good first impression. And if you flub it? If your map isn't polished enough or players find some easy exploit you never could've conceived of? Then your level's credibility, like so many terrorist heads, is shot.
  • Theodore_BundyTheodore_Bundy Posts: 68Player
    edited January 2016
    This is something we have been keeping an eye on for a long time. We are happy that people enjoy the map so much, but at the same time we feel like there are other maps out there that are just as fun (or more) to play. We would obviously like people to experience those maps as well. Last week 33.8% of all rounds played were on Inner Hospital (BDX and FLO versions). That seems excessive to me, but counteracting the culture of "Inner Hospital 24/7" is hard. Ideally, we solve it by putting out more quality maps to offset it's popularity. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working. Checkout is still quite popular and Intercept still gets a decent amount of play, but the success of those maps hasn't resulted in less Inner Hospital. If anything, Inner Hospital has increased in popularity. If we look back 6 months to last July, 25-26% of rounds played were Inner Hospital.

I'm not really sure what the solution is. I certainly don't think removing the map for a while is a good solution. If a large number of players are playing only Inner Hospital and we took it away, those players have two options: play other maps or play other games. I'd like to think they'd play other maps, but I'm sure a number of them would choose the second option. One thing we have considered is small change to how voting works on the AAR screen. Right now you can vote to replay a map on that screen, but we have considered making a change so you can only vote to replay a map once, instead of over and over again. This would result (at least in officials) in players playing through our entire rotation of maps more often.

Perhaps a "Map of the Month" where a specific map gets like 10% bonus exp? Maybe that'll entice people to play the maps they wouldn't normally play. And perhaps they would start to enjoy those maps more?

Just a shot in the dark...
    Steam: usdod14
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    lol. I drink lots of Pepsi ( insert Mike voice here)

lmao .
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    lol. I drink lots of Pepsi

I do too :)

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    I don't see the issue. I have no trouble play almost every day and avoid Inner.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    tumblr_m594q4Mv7y1qd09wwo1_500.jpg

His nickname is Pepsi :lol:
    Jombi wrote: »

Perhaps a "Map of the Month" where a specific map gets like 10% bonus exp? Maybe that'll entice people to play the maps they wouldn't normally play. And perhaps they would start to enjoy those maps more?

Just a shot in the dark...

I like the sound of this idea, incentives are a powerful thing.

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• ^MAROFEL.Arkeiro^^MAROFEL.Arkeiro^ Posts: 768Player
    Better official servers is the way I think it should go. Teach the players to play rotated maps. Let them know there are few other awesome maps but inner.
    If you gave me the choice between inner, redline and slums, I would pick slums all day. But thats me :)

Over 1.4k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    edited January 2016
    I like the suggestions here, from devs and players, regarding the officials. Those are my favorites to play on - not that I don't appreciate private servers, of course - and I wish they were significantly more active. I'm not alone in that sentiment, either, so I think more love for the officials might increase our numbers a little.
  • Lone_GunmanLone_Gunman Posts: 47Player
    The only thing that is going to increase the population is advertising.
  • [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 329Developer
    [Dev] Rawrster, any way we can get some numbers on UMM's being played? Maybe like top 10 or 20? Thanks.
    Sure, why not? List of UMMs with over 100 rounds played last week:
    Urban Assault - 776
    AA2 Insurgent Camp Redux - 323
    CSAR2 - 289
    Hospital X2 - 230
    AA3 Impact - 198
    Pipeline - 184
    Ghost Rider - 169
    Water Treatment - 168
    Stormy Cape - 146
    AA2 Border - 141
    Rusneyev - 134
    Alley - 110
    Mudboggin - 104
    Siege_AC - 101
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,472Player
    Hospital was the most popular map on AA2.
    AA3 did not have it and it died so please don't remove it :wink:
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,159Beta Tester
    Thank you, Sir.

I really thought those numbers would be different by now. I didn't expect to see 9 of 12 top maps to still be aa2/3 remakes/ports. Seemed as people were playing more new maps than old maps.

Once again thank you for the info.
  • -=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI--=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI- Posts: 126Beta Tester
    I'm surprised that AA3 Impact (198) has beat out Alley (110)... Impact was arguably the best CQB/take and hold map of AA3, and Alley was the best VIP map. I would play these 2 over most of the other maps, if there were not so many other maps I had to download to get them, and they were played more often (rotationally wise). If you look at Rawster's list, urban assault is overwhelmingly most played. that should say something to the DEV map makers... I like Harbour Assault, but its not the "same" as Urban.

• -=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI--=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI- Posts: 126Beta Tester
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »
    This is something we have been keeping an eye on for a long time. We are happy that people enjoy the map so much, but at the same time we feel like there are other maps out there that are just as fun (or more) to play. We would obviously like people to experience those maps as well. Last week 33.8% of all rounds played were on Inner Hospital (BDX and FLO versions). That seems excessive to me, but counteracting the culture of "Inner Hospital 24/7" is hard. Ideally, we solve it by putting out more quality maps to offset it's popularity. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working. Checkout is still quite popular and Intercept still gets a decent amount of play, but the success of those maps hasn't resulted in less Inner Hospital. If anything, Inner Hospital has increased in popularity. If we look back 6 months to last July, 25-26% of rounds played were Inner Hospital.

I'm not really sure what the solution is. I certainly don't think removing the map for a while is a good solution. If a large number of players are playing only Inner Hospital and we took it away, those players have two options: play other maps or play other games. I'd like to think they'd play other maps, but I'm sure a number of them would choose the second option. One thing we have considered is small change to how voting works on the AAR screen. Right now you can vote to replay a map on that screen, but we have considered making a change so you can only vote to replay a map once, instead of over and over again. This would result (at least in officials) in players playing through our entire rotation of maps more often.

What could be a good idea is removing inner hospital from official servers. Removing it from the game completely is excessive and there is no need for that. #1 you may lose players. #2 it still a fun map to play BDX. #3 It is also a good map to play from a competitive stand point compared to the other maps.(That could change soon).

Also incase you missed one of my suggestions in past weeks. I mentioned having a possible voting system where the maps played the least on that server come up and removing the option to replay the same map. If people want to play the same map they have their own servers and can do that on their own servers. That way you would always have 3 different maps to choose from. Now I am not saying a voting system like this should be based on total map numbers overall but just for that server. So say somehow on JFK12 innner hospital has been played 80% of the time it would not come up in the voting system at the end of a match until the % comes down another idea is have the system so if a map has already been played on that server it does not come up into the voting system until every map in the map list for that server has been played.

Another option is removing voting system completely from official servers. I really miss the old days of been able to hop on an official server and play every map in the game once whether I was on FLO or BDX. (This kept me playing longer than I currently do when playing in public servers)

If you look at the way the vote system as it is currently set up, is really not much of a vote...

options
    1. replay current map
    2. play next map in rotation
    3. play a random map

I get option 1, yet option 2 is pointless... if you don't vote at all it will go here anyway. so realistically you have 1 random choice. which isn't much. in theory, you could end up with this as your options
    1. replay inner hospital
    2. play harbor night (next in rotation)
    3. play bridge (random map)

hmmm, wonder what the choice would be...

the game insurgency did map vote right - if it is in the rotation, you can vote on it, and it is majority rules (like inner Hospital, theirs seems to be Sinjar... Sigh)
  • c5.T-c5.T- Posts: 4Player
    When I get tired of the same maps.. I join the Beer_Me servers. They have a lot of user made maps and good people in there. Only downside there is usually a wait :P
  • [ACH]GOFIO[ACH]GOFIO Posts: 26Player
    Easy !! More maps type:

ALLEY, PIPELINE, ETC !

WHERE ARE THIS DEV? WHO MAKE IT THIS MAPS ?

THIS IS THE SOLUTION !
  • [XIII]Baragon[XIII]Baragon Posts: 21Player
    Removing the inner map, I really don't mind! But also note that Inner is more playable for most of the people who have low end graphics cards. Its less complicated and plain enough to play without a lag for many out there. It should be a reason.

And as for the other maps, Id say downtown/ watch dogs are also fine. since I had a very old laptop when things get busy in game (as in smoke/ fire/ explosions) it lowered a fair amount of fps.

The rest. was laggy. because the maps were enormous, specially Checkout :D

^ that's just a small thought.

maybe disable having the option to replay the map again? this would be cool.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    That's a good point I haven't heard anyone bring up before: maybe Inner plays the smoothest? I have a powerful system and don't notice. Obviously, this is something to consider.

Anyone else see performance as an issue between maps for the sake of popularity?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    Enormous??? B) lol