What Program are you using to record your gaming with?

Comments

• [FIRM]EagLeTaLoN[FIRM]EagLeTaLoN Posts: 23Player
    I know its dated but bandicam actually works extremely well. No performance hit and the file sizes are nice.
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    Shadow play is the best bar-none for raw footage.
    OBS for streaming.
    MSI Afterburner was also good.
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Xsplit has some nice options, especially good for streaming. I've been using OBS lately for less performance hit than I got with the xsplit utilities.

Been trying OBS for a while now and I have a few questions if your familiar with the program.

1. I play @ 120FPS and when I record it comes out crystal clear but its (the recording) choppy.
    2. My resolution is 1920-1080 or whatever is close to that, I selected that in the recording options (made sense to me) but as I said its choppy.

Was wondering if you could share your settings as I've watched your videos before and there clear with no choppiness. As I said the recording is choppy, while im playing its perfectly fine.

• ||ATG||-Predatore||ATG||-Predatore Posts: 28Player
    edited May 2015
    AMD Gaming Evolved powered by Raptr, I use this, it's a great free program.

Bye.

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    For raw quality it's hard to beat FRAPS. Also, if you record to a second hdd instead of the one you are playing the game on... it makes the performance hit significantly less.

For day to day recording though, if you can shadowplay, you'd be nuts not to. Nothing else compares in terms of performance.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Xsplit has some nice options, especially good for streaming. I've been using OBS lately for less performance hit than I got with the xsplit utilities.

Been trying OBS for a while now and I have a few questions if your familiar with the program.

1. I play @ 120FPS and when I record it comes out crystal clear but its (the recording) choppy.
    2. My resolution is 1920-1080 or whatever is close to that, I selected that in the recording options (made sense to me) but as I said its choppy.

Was wondering if you could share your settings as I've watched your videos before and there clear with no choppiness. As I said the recording is choppy, while im playing its perfectly fine.

First, my settings:
    Encoding: CBR NVENC @ 3500 kb/s w/CBR padding
    AAC audio, 48 kHz, 160 bitrate
    Video: 1280x720 @ 30 fps

Most of my settings will be close to default. Some things you may want to consider:
    * NVENC for encoding is essentially the same as Shadowplay -- both are using your NVIDIA GPU to handle encoding instead of the CPU. If you're encoding via x264, that could put extra burden on your CPU. Since your game plays smoothly, this is probably not the issue for you.
    * I record to an HDD; the game runs off of an SSD. Saving to a different disk could help. I could envision some minor issues with playing and saving to the drive at the same time.
    * Lower resolution (and this is probably the big one!) means less encoding work. It also means that, for the same bitrate, more of the screen's information is getting updated per second. At 1920x1080, the compression algorithm may be sacrificing smoothness to meet whatever bitrate setting you've imposed.
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Yeah unfortunately I only have one drive but I will try these settings and let you know

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited May 2015
    Adding a little more substance --

So the rule of thumb I've heard on encoding (for x264 codec at least; probably similar for others?) is that you want 0.1 bits per pixel per second for FPSs or other games with a high degree of motion.

To calculate your needed kbps for encoding, use this:
    (pixel width * pixel height * frames-per-second * desired fidelity) / 1,000

So for 60 fps with desired fidelity of 0.1 bpp:
    1920*1080*60*0.1 / 1000 = 12,440 kb/s

If you were running at only 3,500 kb/s, that's a lower level of fidelity. Lowering the resolution or frames per second gets you closer to the target amount of information.

For my settings:
    1280*720*30*0.1 / 1000 = 2,765 kb/s
    so the 3500 kb/s works well.

Incidentally, Twitch wants streams to stay below 3500 kb/s for bandwidth reasons, so that should also impact what settings players use to stream.
  • Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    556VYFal.jpg
    http://imgur.com/556VYFa

RGWbXZol.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/RGWbXZol.jpg

yet i find my movie quality not as sharp and crisp as other frag movies posted on the old board,maybe someone could give me hints to what i could do different.
  • 12ampage12ampage Posts: 64Player
    edited May 2015
    I've had a similar problem. I've setup shadowplay to stream to twitch, and the quality just isn't there. I'm running on a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB with a gigabit upload connection and the stream quality says 720p but looks like 360p. Twitch stream in shadowplay is configured at 3.5 bitrate, 720p, and 30fps.

Sample Stream Uploaded To Youtube

Raw Stream Footage On Twitch
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    For raw quality it's hard to beat FRAPS. Also, if you record to a second hdd instead of the one you are playing the game on... it makes the performance hit significantly less.

For day to day recording though, if you can shadowplay, you'd be nuts not to. Nothing else compares in terms of performance.

That's an important tip! Record to other, non-used harddrive. B)
    googley avatar aapg

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited May 2015
    12ampage wrote: »
    I've had a similar problem. I've setup shadowplay to stream to twitch, and the quality just isn't there. I'm running on a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB with a gigabit upload connection and the stream quality says 720p but looks like 360p. Twitch stream in shadowplay is configured at 3.5 bitrate, 720p, and 30fps.

Sample Stream Uploaded To Youtube

Raw Stream Footage On Twitch

Both your youtube and your twitch example are 720p, not sure what you are talking about.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    shadowplay for recording. press a button to save the previous 5 minutes of gameplay footage, saves to 2nd hard drive, at 1080p 60fps highest quality. then i chop it up with a free program called "video to video" and its ready for youtube.
    -
    still, i wish the devs would speak up to the topic as to whether we will see SLI support for this game ever..
    -
    maybe then i could look into streaming. my internet can support streaming 1080p 60 fps no problem. my cpu and ram can support it, but my gpu can barely get 120fps in this game w/o streaming. my 2nd gpu in SLI could maybe make that possible, but this game doesn't use SLI...
    -
    without SLI support, i don't bother with streaming this game. i've tested it. the "steam broadcast" feature takes a huge hit to in-game performance. when someone watches me play aapg with broadcast it takes a good 30-40 frames away and i'm unable to keep a solid 120fps. so no deal there. i expect xsplit and OBS would both cause similar performance issue with this game. trying to get 120fps with a single gtx770 while streaming just isn't likely.

• omerta`easyomerta`easy Posts: 46Player
    If your primary concern is performance Shadowplay is your easiest option.

If your CPU/Motherboard support it both OBS and XSplit can use Intel QuickSync which can record at almost no performance impact.

If quality is your primary concern you are stuck with using your CPU for rendering unless you want to spend some serious money on professional encoding hardware.

Make sure your storage solution can keep up. This shouldn't be a problem unless your trying to record to an old, slow hard drive.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    shadowplay for recording. press a button to save the previous 5 minutes of gameplay footage, saves to 2nd hard drive, at 1080p 60fps highest quality. then i chop it up with a free program called "video to video" and its ready for youtube.
    -
    still, i wish the devs would speak up to the topic as to whether we will see SLI support for this game ever..
    -
    maybe then i could look into streaming. my internet can support streaming 1080p 60 fps no problem. my cpu and ram can support it, but my gpu can barely get 120fps in this game w/o streaming. my 2nd gpu in SLI could maybe make that possible, but this game doesn't use SLI...
    -
    without SLI support, i don't bother with streaming this game. i've tested it. the "steam broadcast" feature takes a huge hit to in-game performance. when someone watches me play aapg with broadcast it takes a good 30-40 frames away and i'm unable to keep a solid 120fps. so no deal there. i expect xsplit and OBS would both cause similar performance issue with this game. trying to get 120fps with a single gtx770 while streaming just isn't likely.

Do you know about Quick Sync already? If you don't and you are using an Intel processor, look into it. Check if you CPU is supporting it on the Intel wesite right here. I'm not gonna go too much into detail for this because there are alot of great tutorials for that on youtube and in the internet already. What it does however is basically using your on-board GPU, that is otherwise wasted because you are using your graphics card for the game, and let it do the encoding. This way neither your CPU nor your graphics card has to do the encoding. I'm using this to stream and it has been working great for me.
    Well, I just used Shadowplay (and saved temp and video to a second harddrive) and never saw any drop in FPS performance, taking into account I am capped at 120fps. I don't like there is no screen overlay to remind me it's on. Good thing I got an open 1TB drive.

I have Quality at Custom, FPS = 60 and Bitrate=30. Should I raise bitrate to match fps to 60?
    googley avatar aapg

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,571Player
    I have a green dot in the lower right corner while recording.
    Like this:
    geforce-experience-2-0-desktop-capture-640px.png
    edited May 2015
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    I have a green dot in the lower right corner while recording.
    Like this:
    geforce-experience-2-0-desktop-capture-640px.png

Dooh! So that's how you do it. Thanks!! :)

But what bitrate do I use??
    googley avatar aapg