Question(s) to M16 users

SithHunterSithHunter Posts: 109Player
Firstly, let me ask you, do you use M16 in rifleman role (without ACOG)? I do, not sure why, I guess I always preferred M16 to M4 in games and especially AA2.

So, now if answered yes to above... How do you use burst fire? Do you find it more effective to hold your mouse for full 3 round burst and try to repeat those as quickly as possible or do you just tap your LMB very quickly letting 2 and 1 round bursts with very small intervals (that imitates full-auto kinda)?

I was trying to train and test both methods but I can't really decide.

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited May 2015
    other than to accurately place a single shot on single fire.. I just find myself spamming mouse one, regardless of firemode in any other circumstance..

I still aint got used to the whole.. hold mouse 1 to burst method, it just don't feel right to me, never has. It's one thing I'd hoped people would be begging the devs to change.

1 click, should fire off three rounds unless your on single fire.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited May 2015
    holding down for all 3 with the recoil means your first shot needs to be in the knee area if you want any chance of the other 2 shots to land a hit. i typically tap the key in burst and get 1-2 shots off. i wish it was 1 tap = 3 rounds like aa2, so that reacquiring your target between shots would be consistent. it is very inconsistent when i tap. sometimes 2 bullets fire. sometimes just one. that's not good if you're trying to compensate recoil and reacquire your target between mouse taps.

• SithHunterSithHunter Posts: 109Player
    holding down for all 3 with the recoil means your first shot needs to be in the knee area if you want any chance of the other 2 shots to land a hit (...).

Umm, I disagree, it all comes to practice in recoil control and that's why I think I'm starting to lean towards full 3 rounds burst- to have more consistent recoil.
    edited May 2015
    Holding LMB and moving the mouse at the same time is not really a natural thing when you think about it in terms of games FPS game especially.. its for moving a file to another folder or highlighting text :lol:

Holding LMB and moving the mouse at the same time is not really a natural thing when you think about it in terms of games FPS game especially.. its for moving a file to another folder or highlighting text :lol:

I sense strong sarcasm ;p
    not really.

not really.
    Then I dunno, FPS games are all about moving your mouse while holding LMB (controlling recoil while shooting full-auto anyone?) ;p

Also, started practicing rapid 3-round burst firing on M16 and it seems like after few hours of practice it's gonna be easily doable (in comparison to those random quick-taps).

Range to target is 100m so in game it's gonna be way more accurate.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    I wish the Devs would put an option as to whether you want single click burst or hold to burst. I avoid the m16 because i want it to be aa2 style and i don't like it the way it is.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    i don't even.... that is not aiming. that's just volume over accuracy, which is the same issue i have with the game's m249, m14, m4 being in every single map... the volume over accuracy is heavily rewarded with the silly suppression system in place right now. if that were nerfed, (and if you weren't able to sprint and reload to avoid a cqb fight), you would actually not waste so much ammo. you wouldn't want to get caught having to reload all the time. right now though there isn't much penalty for reloading. it's done with extreme safety and mobility compared to other games.
    -
    in that video you're just spraying and hoping one of the bullets hits? there is no point to bursting 3 rounds at that range. if you are aiming, the 2nd and 3rd bullet will totally miss, because of recoil. if you just took your time and fired a single bullet you would have been able to drop those targets much faster. (but omg suppression op)
    -
    at that range you should select single fire, control your breathing, and aim center mass (or in this game the head)
    -
    but as i said. i wish the weapon's burst mode in game would use the traditional mechanic, just shoot 3 rounds with the tap of the mouse.

edited May 2015
    SithHunter wrote: »
    not really.
    Then I dunno, FPS games are all about moving your mouse while holding LMB (controlling recoil while shooting full-auto anyone?) ;p
    you don't hold left mouse in aapg for m16. you repeatedly hold and release hold and release, all while trying to drag your mouse to compensate for recoil? that is 19 mouse actions instead of one when comparing unloading a mag from the m4.
    -
    an analogy for that would be like asking 2 people to walk a line to prove they are sober. person one just has to walk a line. the 2nd person has to perform juggling and hopscotch to prove he is sober...

you don't hold left mouse in aapg for m16. you repeatedly hold and release hold and release, all while trying to drag your mouse to compensate for recoil?

That's what annoys me about it, the click hold, compensate, burst done.. release, click hold, compensate.. etc.. my last explanation was a little light on the actual details.. but this is why its preferable to me to just spam the button and suffer an inconstant firerate, that not only feels out of whack, it feels to me like a better way than having to hold, release, hold..

It's a preference thing, there are probably people who like it like that and have mastered it.

To answer you without sounding like I'm being sarcastic, I didn't mean it to be before.. I also slap an ACOG on it, I can also add that I never choose to use it if I'm stuck with having to choose a rifleman spot, I just take M4 or on the rare occasion a Shotgun.

edited May 2015
    The way the M16 is now is pretty much just pressing the left click button as fast as you can to simulate a somewhat full auto. At range it's no different than firing off three shots at a time with the M4 to get a burst. I get it's modeled after how the real M16 works, but I'd rather the old style where you click the mouse and all three shots fire. There's less to think about when you're firing and instead you have to rely on yourself to aim good when clicking the mouse that one time otherwise you'll miss all three shots. In the same respect, landing a shot is rewarded with higher odds of getting three hits. This compensates for the fact that you to adjust your aim with each click rather than holding down the mouse button and adjusting for recoil.
    edited May 2015
    SithHunter wrote: »
    not really.
    you don't hold left mouse in aapg for m16. you repeatedly hold and release hold and release, all while trying to drag your mouse to compensate for recoil? that is 19 mouse actions instead of one when comparing unloading a mag from the m4.
    -
    an analogy for that would be like asking 2 people to walk a line to prove they are sober. person one just has to walk a line. the 2nd person has to perform juggling and hopscotch to prove he is sober...

I understand that but I felt like that analogy didn't really do justice to the current situation of M16 ;p But yeah I think it would be better to just have 1 click = 3 round burst mechanic.

Well you could always have a look at your mouse software and play with LMB settings but I wouldn't do that, would feel like cheating if I got this M16 to fire 3 rounds with one click.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    other than to accurately place a single shot on single fire.. I just find myself spamming mouse one, regardless of firemode in any other circumstance..

I still aint got used to the whole.. hold mouse 1 to burst method, it just don't feel right to me, never has. It's one thing I'd hoped people would be begging the devs to change.

1 click, should fire off three rounds unless your on single fire.

+1
    googley avatar aapg

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 624Beta Tester
    The current burst mechanic was odd for me but on the long run I found it better, than the usual way. It always bothered me that I can't stop firing (e.g. friendly fire, ammo conservation), this way I can. I basically spam the mouse but in a controlled fashion - I can't really describe how. If I do this, it is easier to handle the recoil. I definitely prefer this way, than the usual one.

Overall I drop my targets in ~5 shots, usually with a headshot. I never aim below upper torso, I usually/ideally go for a 2 bullet tap at the start, aiming for the neck-chin area with the first bullet, then the second goes right between the eyes.

With the M4 I always needed a second weapon in 12v12, but usually I have enough ammo in my M16 for the whole round.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    1 click should equal a burst. It did in AA2 and it should now

1 click should equal a burst. It did in AA2 and it should now

+1. At the very minimum give the players a choice.
  • -vortex-vortex Posts: 188Player
    edited May 2015
    Scrolled quickly past most of the other comments.
    I enjoy clicking it and shooting 1-2 shots. After muscle memory takes over and you don't even think about how long you "hold" it down for and it'll seem almost auto [but slower than the m4].

Also I only use the m16 for longer range maps [it does more damage at further ranges] and in close quaters the m4 because it shoots faster [in my opinion] like I said.

Edit: I hope they do not remove the option to shoot small quick burst, I prefer that.
    TheTots wrote:
    I think this thread has run it's course......
  • super6-1super6-1 Posts: 100Player
    The M16 is totally useless... the only reason it's even in the game is to have a 'DMR' that isn't full auto since it handles the same as the M4, or close enough thereto. It's less practical than just about any other weapon in the game. . .
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 624Beta Tester
    Super6*1 wrote: »
    The M16 is totally useless... the only reason it's even in the game is to have a 'DMR' that isn't full auto since it handles the same as the M4, or close enough thereto. It's less practical than just about any other weapon in the game. . .

If you put some time in it, the M16 will be clearly the successor of the M4. (At least in my experience.) It deals more damage over range, it has less recoil, it's more accurate, better ammo management etc. The only place, where the M4 beats it is close range. I believe this odd burst fire has to do with that, especially with the recoil. I'd be very-very sad if they'd change the burst on it. Just put 3-5 days in the M16 and you will feel the difference as well.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.