Small Update 10-26-2015

TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
This is a small editor update. We've added a new process that stores compiled shaders in the map file. We call this process "searing". This option to "sear" is turned on by default, and the process is highly recommended, as players (and servers) won't have to compile shaders the first time they load a seared map.

We also put in a fix for built maps not publishing correctly the first time, and a fix for the editor not being able to launch the game in standalone mode for testing objective.

One final fix is to the Host A Server function. Due to a bug SSHD was being set by default when making a server using the HAS. This will no longer happen and you will default to CSHD again.

Please check your servers to make sure you are running the hit detection you want.
The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

Comments

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,116Beta Tester
    I think this should be by FAR the biggest small updated EVER as far as UMM's go. This is truly a break through on how umm's loaded in the past. It was the biggest killer when it came to UMM's.

If it hasn't already been announced , please it's time to do so.

In all honesty this should be made into huge deal. Post it everywhere and tell everyone, even the ones that are under rock somewhere.

No more hours of loading time, or tire screen.

Thank you so much Dev's. This is a major break through, and I hope this will change UMM's as we know it.

Time to play UMM's ladies and gents.

I would suggest to anyone that hasn't done so already to update your map. This way it will store the shaders in your map and you don't have to worry about it no more. Otherwise it will build the shaders everytime the server is restarted, old way.

Once again thanks dev's!
  • -=[VGO]=-mmchaos-=[VGO]=-mmchaos Posts: 81Moderator
    nice update... thanks devs.
    test-tag.jpg
  • [SAAC]Xtc[SAAC]Xtc Posts: 31Player
    Sweet! Thank you devs!
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 624Player
    are published maps running ok atm ? or do we have to republish all again ?
    I would suggest republishing. This way it saves the shaders in your map. And faster load time.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 624Player
    yeah understand that, but are published maps working ok atm , as i haven't time to publish all again atm
    I think so, I published my maps just fine.
  • Is this process included when cooking a map or is it a separate function?
    Cooking no longer exists. It's searing now. Basically it compresses your map without cooking. This way you don't have to recook your map with every patch like before.
  • =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 167Beta Tester
    yeah understand that, but are published maps working ok atm , as i haven't time to publish all again atm

It will run fine as is. Players will have to build shaders for it the first time they load into the server.....the new system will eliminate that step.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,171Player
    Thank you guys :)
    Thank for clarifying that Mason.
  • MaclobsterMaclobster Posts: 214Beta Tester
    Great job Devs , thank you :smile:
  • What do we need to do for this to take effect? Anything special before publishing?
    It's in the same checkbox as cooking was in the publish window, so as long as that box is checked it will sear your map :)

zuphqr.jpg
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,080Player
    Would be nice now if server operators could automatically update their servers when a mapper processes an update. I've had it a few times where I put out an update and the server had to avoid the map for the rest of the day until they could restart the server and upload the new version of the map.
    edited October 2015
    Btw.. I have been meaning to ask, is there any chance we can get a fix for the preview window (steam preview image)? or be learned of a way we can use that "use custom Image" check box?

I have been hold clicking the window then panning around invisibly, trying to judge about where I might be in the map (where my camera is facing) purely by going by the amount of time I'm holding the keys to move it around, having to canceling the publish to check where I am when re-publishing,, and on and on until I eventually get a good shot.. but man.. its a real pain. I think it's a big deal as it's the first thing people see when looking at your map in the workshop, so for those who don't know how to wrangle it.. They can be left with a not too pretty preview image and potential for lost would-be subscribers, just because of a fail preview image.

.. Also why do they say BDX after upload to steam when we clear that checkbox in publish options? is that a bug?

These things have been like this for a while, though I do believe it worked early on.
  • =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 167Beta Tester
    I have been hold clicking the window then panning around invisibly, trying to judge about where I might be in the map (where my camera is facing) purely by going by the amount of time I'm holding the keys to move it around, having to canceling the publish to check where I am when re-publishing,, and on and on until I eventually get a good shot.. but man.. its a real pain. I think it's a big deal as it's the first thing people see when looking at your map in the workshop, so for those who don't know how to wrangle it.. They can be left with a not too pretty preview image and potential for lost would-be subscribers, just because of a fail preview image.
    You can still manipulate the image as you describe before you actually begin the publish process by clicking anywhere on your map. Then move the capture as you describe.
    Like Mason said. What I do is click and drag slowly to where I want to go in the pop up doc and then let go and click and move in the editor window, I keep repeating it till I get where I want.