Forum Design Suggestions

Comments

• ENFORCER1983ENFORCER1983 Posts: 10Player
    I used vanilla for a personal blog/forum during my wife's first pregnancy. It was primarily for dispersing and sharing information with out of state friends and family. It worked for small scale ...

It's not bad, just hard to follow with such a large volume of posts. I would strongly suggest IPB or VB. Vanilla also lacks a lot of core features required to share content, poll the audience, display images etc.

This is a step up from php but is a huge step back considering the size of your audience and the amount of foot traffic. I wouldn't even use Vanilla on a small 15-20 member gaming team. Best of luck.
    pIhJdub.png
  • omerta`jeeomerta`jee Posts: 54Player
    Some of this stuff might be repeats, but I didn't have time to read through 7 pages.

* The posts look really bland.
    * The Name of the player posting blends in too much with the post.
    * Its hard to see the dividing line of the signature and the post.
    * The words in the forum quotes are too big, and the quotes are also hard to distinguish from the rest of the post.
    Is there a 'mark all as read/mark topic as read' button I can use?
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    o`jee wrote: »
    Is there a 'mark all as read/mark topic as read' button I can use?

yeah at the top "mark all viewed" does the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    Oh its above the banner. I was searching all over underneath the banner. Thanks!
    I'd also like to add, have a tag on the board whether there are NEW posts in any of the topics in that board. Not just on the topics after you go to the board. Makes it easier to catch up on the new stuff.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    o`jee wrote:
    I'd also like to add, have a tag on the board whether there are NEW posts in any of the topics in that board. Not just on the topics after you go to the board. Makes it easier to catch up on the new stuff.

I click on 'Recent Discussions' (upper right sidebar) then look at all the threads with a little 'New' word on it :)
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    I still would like to see a more contrasting background for "quoted" text to easily differentiate between the quote and the reply. Quotes should have a defined outline so you can see multiple quotes better too.
    googley avatar aapg

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 454Player
    It is difficult to tell which page one is on. The "current page yellow" does not contrast enough with the "other pages yellow".
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • HilabusterHilabuster Posts: 41Player
    edited April 2015
    I used vanilla for a personal blog/forum during my wife's first pregnancy. It was primarily for dispersing and sharing information with out of state friends and family. It worked for small scale ...

It's not bad, just hard to follow with such a large volume of posts. I would strongly suggest IPB or VB. Vanilla also lacks a lot of core features required to share content, poll the audience, display images etc.

This is a step up from php but is a huge step back considering the size of your audience and the amount of foot traffic. I wouldn't even use Vanilla on a small 15-20 member gaming team. Best of luck.

Our forum platform is not up for debate. Vanilla does what we need from a development perspective. Also as I have pointed out, Vanilla is used by several very large and professional gaming companies to manage their communities. This is not the reason we choose to go with Vanilla but it does invalidate your arguments somewhat. I can appreciate your opinion but its not helpful to suggest alternatives to Vanilla. Its here to stay. That being said -- We have a few things we are working on to enhance this forum both in look and function.

Supporting Evidence:
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/
    forums.marvelheroes.com/
    forums.penny-arcade.com/

I'm happy just because we have the basics like avatars and like buttons! At first I was like "what the heck is this?" but now I know what I'm actually doing and learned how to navigate, it's growing on me more and more. There are things I miss like seeing who's online, memberlists and other standard forum features.

If you think about it.. It's already light years ahead of anything we have had before, I'm thinking we should be happy and lets see where they take it :smirk:

edited April 2015
    I'm happy just because we have the basics like avatars and like buttons! At first I was like "what the heck is this?" but now I know what I'm actually doing and learned how to navigate, it's growing on me more and more. There are things I miss like seeing who's online, memberlists and other standard forum features.

If you think about it.. It's already light years ahead of anything we have had before, I'm thinking we should be happy and lets see where they take it :smirk:

Thanks, I am glad to here it, I will be adding some plugins the bring some of these features but they are a little quirky at the moment and I am having to do some work on the before I can push them out. The who is online is on my list.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,612Beta Tester
    edited April 2015
    So, I tried looking through this thread, but....I'm noticing that BBCode is in fact STILL not working. Is that correct?

I'm in IE by the way...
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    It's working in chrome.. I don't use IE.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,612Beta Tester
    edited April 2015
    This is typed in Chrome.

Now it shows up. Hmmm. Don't know why the very same tags don't work in my "Immersion" post...?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    I think your other tags were inside a quote block. Those aren't really in full working order yet.
    BCPull wrote: »
    I think your other tags were inside a quote block. Those aren't really in full working order yet.

I think I may have tracked down the quote problem. it wont fix all bad previous quotes but it should work form here on out. fingers crossed!
    edited April 2015
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    So, I tried looking through this thread, but....I'm noticing that BBCode is in fact STILL not working. Is that correct?

I'm in IE by the way...

Some of the BBCode will work. Well it all works but some styles are not in place to support it. Its on our list of things to fix.

This will server as my test post to not whats not fixed.

Bold
    Itallic
    strikethrough
    1. List Item 1
    2. List Item 2
    • Bullet 1
    • Bullet 2
    <?php echo "stuff"; ?>

Don't See Me
    just quote

:)

awesomesouce.com
    Left Text
    Center Text
    Right Text

Not all BBCode is getting converted. I will track that down.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    Quote color styling is still too dark. Although I can see it, I have to look hard.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    I see that you have installed the tapatalk plug-in. When I try to log into the forums it says "failed to process xml data due to unknown error". Just wanted to let you know that the plug-in is not working correctly. Great progress though. I'm liking the look of the mobile site.
This discussion has been closed.