Rural open space maps

Comments

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited October 2015
    wolverine, don't stop making maps man. personally, when i say i like an aa2 map, i mostly mean the objective type in said aa2 map. look at pipeline or insurgent camp. both had doors, pipeline had multiple win conditions.

both maps forced defense to defend more than one location... this is what i miss. aapg just lets the defense run around and hunt out the assault team. that is boring. map design doesn't matter when the gameplay boils down to just that.

this is also why i miss terrain maps and the m203. assault could delay defense from rushing assault spawn. assault could use terrain to advance.

and in many cases, defense was indoors. assault was outdoors. assault had to breach multiple entrances simultaneously. this created good competitive maps. none of these small bdx maps with super tiny maps with no place to set up a proper defense...

then there was maps with fog, limited visibility. this was a good alternative to doors. this allowed the gameplay to work well, instead of completely clear sightlines which just make every map boring and most of the play space completely poor choice to try to use due to sniper scopes having too much visibility, ruining maps.

we do not need these exact maps to be ported over, but we desperately need more maps with these sorts of design elements... objectives and designs like this, because the current game's objectives are junk. it's more just about eliminating the other team. the objective is the same for multiple maps. the maps have no unique identity. we need that back.

• Stile7Stile7 Posts: 5Developer
    Open map contest? :)

I think so!
  • -Hades-Hades Posts: 28Player
    Squad/Project Reality are some good games with open terrain, vehicles. You could also try Arma 3. All very good games.
  • TatsfieldTatsfield Posts: 44Player
    The dawn of a new age is upon us! UMM are appearing and some of them are very interesting. I've heard some players complain about bugginess but I see these maps as works in progress and salute the map builders who create them. Thank you all. No more Bridge and Inner bloody Hospital for me! :)
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    IKR.. A little earlier I played on a cargo ship map complete with a choppa and a foghorn, was a blast!

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited October 2015
    Was playing woodland outpost, mission first, and arctic in the Beer Me server. So, if you want outdoor maps, they'll be around. Although, I wonder if all of the Altan remakes will be updated.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • I love the big maps. The only drawback is dead player patience when it gets down to 1 v 1 and people leave or votekick someone because they are lost or are camping on defense.

I think it would be cool to have a big 24 v 24 map with a 15 min round where the teams have to strategically grind it out
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Yeah someone hunt down Altan and revise the ported maps

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Shouldn't be too hard.. I believe he is the admin of AA2.5.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester
    I'm VERY interested in finalizing my outdoor map and trying to make a few others, once things settle down a little around here with the editor and sound issues.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,169Player
    What type of an outdoor map would you guys like to see? How about little detail on what you guys would like to see? Desert? Forest? Mountains? Let's here it!!! ;)
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 455Player
    A new Sandstorm. Same layout, and objective type, different atmosphere.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    edited October 2015
    What type of an outdoor map would you guys like to see? How about little detail on what you guys would like to see? Desert? Forest? Mountains? Let's here it!!! ;)

Urban 2 objective take and hold with each team having immediate access to 1 closed and defensible site. Make it on a mountain if you need scenery.

Hilled assault entry to building. Defense spawns in building and defends 2 sites, assault moves through cover of hills to get to base.

Forrest based 3 objective take and hold with spawns on opposite sides of the forrest. Each site is a mini forrest compound with routes to other compounds. Pines or similar, some tree cover but not bushes all over. Large rocks for cover maybe.

Snow map with opposite cliffsides overlooking a compound. Visibility somewhat challenging. Documents in center with extraction sites near both spawn points. Both teams can extract.
    Must extract to your spawn point.

I know these aren't entirely outdoor but the concepts are more about focusing on objectives.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • TatsfieldTatsfield Posts: 44Player
    I have no preferences on the nature of the terrain, merely that I am not asked to fight in tunnels, rabbit warren buildings or dreary urban side streets unless I want to. A map where manoeuvre and a tactical approach enable a well organised team to beat mad bunny hopping trigger happy one man killing machines and where snipers can use their skills but not dominate the battlefield.

Desserts need dead ground for advance while forests need sufficient lines of sight to allow engagements over great distances than just to the next tree. Mountainous terrain needs careful design so that it doesn't look like it's constructed from Lego and so that there are multiple routes to follow and not the standard 3 that the urban maps tend to offer.

Larger maps need longer play times to encourage reviving fallen team mates rather than leaving them to bleed to death while the fifteen year old sniper tries to carve more notches on the rifle butt. If you know that being left to die on the field condemns you to up to 10 minutes of inactivity, you might raise the importance of battle field medical care.

Shoot-em-up kids are never going to want to play these sort of maps but there seem to be enough tactically aware players to fill those that a more conservative admin might decide to make available. It's a case of matching the map to the market!
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player

An Insurgent Camp type of map would be nice.

Basically, a single building, assault and entry scenario. I guess WC falls under the same category to help you get a sense of what i mean.

- Desert, mountainous area
    - 2 objectives, 1 needed
    - Assault outside, Defense inside.
    - Multiple entrances
    - Maybe tunnels

Not easy to make it work in AAPG though i think :smile:
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited October 2015
    i'd prefer almost anything at this point over the current official maps.

anything with an indoor/outdoor, where the assault has eyes on most exits so to keep the defense honest. anything with actual doors to facilitate this.... this makes modes where defense needs to defend more than one location very appealing. and this allows you to make a map that has more routes than there are defenders... instead of plugging every entrance with a defender and no door, doors mean defense doesn't need to defend every entrance 1:1. open doors indicate a breach.

or anything with limited sight from fog system which forces players to be near the action. this makes take and hold work. the concept of sniper scopes on a take and hold map is ridiculous. example of bad is X obj in take and hold slums. X is suicide to defend. the attackers can snipe you in there, they can drop in from above. you can't see anything without being sniped. alternatively, a fog system that replaces the need for walls as concealment...such as sandstorm where you can defend an area without being sniped. the attackers do not know exactly where you are defending from because they do not have complete visibility of everything from multiple angles without you having an angle on them... this keeps things interesting, unlike slums.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    A new Sandstorm. Same layout, and objective type, different atmosphere.

It's a shame that I lost the one I did a long time ago. I could have probably fixed that one up a bit.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,169Player
    null
    If you didn't cook it I might still have a copy of it. I'll look for it. If I find it, I'll send it to you.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester
    edited October 2015
    I have copies of Whippy's Sandstorm map....dated Mar 17, 2014!

Looks like I've lost a lot of other ones though....
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
    Tatsfield we have all the kind of maps your looking for on the Beer_Me server , a nice collection of maps made by the community and I think you would enjoy playing there , try it out .
This discussion has been closed.