Optimization

Many players have been seeing a hit in performance, specially after a few rounds.
I have been noticing good frames on the first round and sub 90's on the following round. Could one of the dev's please shine a light on this?

Just for the records, these figures are based on all default ini's, latest nvidia drivers, and a full msconfig done on background applications.

Windows 7 64bit.
i7 4770
970GTX
8GB DDR3
SSD

Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.

Comments

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    i think the font on your sig needs some attention :p i don't have a magnifying glass to read that.

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Many players have been seeing a hit in performance, specially after a few rounds.
    I have been noticing good frames on the first round and sub 90's on the following round. Could one of the dev's please shine a light on this?

Just for the records, these figures are based on all default ini's, latest nvidia drivers, and a full msconfig done on background applications.

Windows 7 64bit.
    i7 4770
    970GTX
    8GB DDR3
    SSD

Run msi after burner set GPU usage to display on your screen. Make sure your getting proper usage out of your GPU. Second is your i7 4770 overclocked? Remember the game only uses 1 core of your CPU so overclocking your CPU will help tremendously.

I have a i5 3570k overclock to 4.2ghz
    A msi gtx 670 2gb power edition.
    8GB ddr 3
    SSD (Samsung 850 evo 250gb)

And I do not recall having these issues at all. On the newer maps in 12v12 full server I struggle to maintain 122fps but thats normal for me on the newer maps. On pretty much all 6v6 map's except for intercept I maintain 122fps constantly.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    edited October 2015
    i7 4790 clocked to 4.4Ghz
    EVGA GTX 960 ssc (super-super-clocked) 2GB 2.0
    8GB 1600 non-clocked
    500GB SATA no SSD

1920x1080 res

I have the game capped at 90FPS, and it never drops. All video settings max and dynamic lighting ON. Vsync OFF.
    googley avatar aapg

• Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    At work so don't have my stats but many of us experience this issue. I don't have my gpu overclocked but seriously is that going to make a game like this play better? I can play BF4 max settings with 30+ people in a server and experience no lag what so ever...

edited October 2015
    At work so don't have my stats but many of us experience this issue. I don't have my gpu overclocked but seriously is that going to make a game like this play better? I can play BF4 max settings with 30+ people in a server and experience no lag what so ever...

GPU OC probably not but CPU Overclock yeah it will. For GPU OC I don't really recommend it(Unless you know what your doing, because most cards already come overclocked pretty highly vs their standard edition clocks now a days. How ever some manufactures make better cards with better coolers that will support very high overclocks, MSI, EVGA to name a few good ones) but you can try and see if it helps a CPU Overclock will definitely help.

The reason you run BF4 max settings with 30+ People in a server and get no lag or fps issues is because that game uses an up to date engine that utilizes 4 cpu cores. The Unreal Engine 3 that is used for this game, America's Army Proving Grounds doesn't take advantage of all 4 cpu cores it only uses 1 CPU core. This is why the game is so demanding. So overclocking your CPU will make that 1 core better. If you were having issues on a game that supported 4 CPU cores than overclocking might not do much.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 455Player
    Yeah same here!

Windows 7 32 bit
    Intel Penium III 3.0ghz Hyperthreading
    512mb RAM
    Voodoo 5 GFX card
    320GB HDD
    Pro Series Floppy drive

Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,576Player
    Yeah same here!

Windows 7 32 bit
    512mb RAM
    Voodoo 5 GFX card
    320GB HDD
    Pro Series Floppy drive

Don't do that, I almost did a serious answer. lol
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    Yeah same here!

Windows 7 32 bit
    512mb RAM
    Voodoo 5 GFX card
    320GB HDD
    Pro Series Floppy drive
    Oh my goodness. :D
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    Well I fixed my issues by deleting my documents folder for the game and then verifying cache. It got me back my 90FPS consistency, except in some maps I get a drop to 60 if I play for a bit. If you already tried that, have you updated your drivers since release of this game? If so, it is the drivers and you can try going back to the driver you had that performed well.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,076Moderator
    The reason you run BF4 max settings with 30+ People in a server and get no lag or fps issues is because that game uses an up to date engine that utilizes 4 cpu cores. The Unreal Engine 3 that is used for this game, America's Army Proving Grounds doesn't take advantage of all 4 cpu cores it only uses 1 CPU core. This is why the game is so demanding. So overclocking your CPU will make that 1 core better. If you were having issues on a game that supported 4 CPU cores than overclocking might not do much.
    The UE3 engine has two mainthreads, game and draw, they normally gets executed on two separate cores.
    So no, the UE3 isnt single threaded. (this was shown in benchmarks way back when the engine was fairly new, moving from one to two core cpu nearly doubled the performance, after that it was diminishing return)
    The "ideal minimum" cpu for ue3 would be a tripple core with strong single core performance.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    frankof wrote: »
    The UE3 engine has two mainthreads, game and draw, they normally gets executed on two separate cores.
    So no, the UE3 isnt single threaded. (this was shown in benchmarks way back when the engine was fairly new, moving from one to two core cpu nearly doubled the performance, after that it was diminishing return)
    The "ideal minimum" cpu for ue3 would be a tripple core with strong single core performance.

Okay then, care to explain why the game is so choppy and crappy compared to pretty much any other game I can think of? I blow the system requirements out of the water and continuously experience FPS drops and choppy gameplay.

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,076Moderator
    Okay then, care to explain why the game is so choppy and crappy compared to pretty much any other game I can think of? I blow the system requirements out of the water and continuously experience FPS drops and choppy gameplay.
    I dont see the relevancy between your choppy experience and the engines use of two threads.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    They need to tone down on map details... look at UMM... some are nicely detailed and fps still don't move

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    frankof wrote: »

Threads and cores are not the samething.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 455Player
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    Yeah same here!

Windows 7 32 bit
    512mb RAM
    Voodoo 5 GFX card
    320GB HDD
    Pro Series Floppy drive

Don't do that, I almost did a serious answer. lol
    Yeah same here!

Windows 7 32 bit
    512mb RAM
    Voodoo 5 GFX card
    320GB HDD
    Pro Series Floppy drive
    Oh my goodness. :D

Ha!
    GOT EEM!
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    3570k & 670 for me. No OC. Never had choppiness or frame drops on win 7,8, or 10. Hold 122 on most maps, maybe down to 100 on some. It might just be you.
  • Well I fixed my issues by deleting my documents folder for the game and then verifying cache....

I see the AA folder in My Documents

How do you verify the cache?
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,576Player
    From Steam:

All operating systems - Verify integrity of game cache

Load Steam
    From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
    Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
    Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
    Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

Important: One or more files may fail to verify.

This is normal for most Steam games. The files that fail to verify are local configuration files that should not be replaced as part of this process. You can safely ignore this message.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    Overclocking...Although easy to do now days, I am not doing it for the convenience of a small boost on a game that should offer proper optimization. The game is for the avarage joe as well as the super tech guys like us.
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    edited October 2015
    Overclocking...Although easy to do now days, I am not doing it for the convenience of a small boost on a game that should offer proper optimization. The game is for the avarage joe as well as the super tech guys like us.
    This is an important point, I think. An Army game meant as a propaganda piece (that's not a negative statement, mind you; propaganda isn't inherently bad) should have excellent optimization so that a good gaming experience can be had by all, both those with cheap PCs and high end ones. Sure, the higher end ones will have an edge, but if low end PCs could get 30/40+ FPS constant, it'd be really nice. And if they could get that, then higher end would certainly have no problems with FPS drops.