Win 7 or Win 8 for AAPG?

vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 266Player
What are you guys running?
I am thinking of installing 8 but I hear some good and some bad with 8. My wife's laptop came with an upgrade to 8 which basically broke it and I had to revert back to 7 so I've had a bad taste about it ever since.
Or I may just stick to 7 until they push out win 10?

Off topic.....Will Win10 be supported by aapg upon eventual release?
AA2 veteran player / fanboy
Streaming my horrible gameplay daily! Twitch.tv/fodvapor

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Win10 is out in beta..I had it for a while and AA did work on it, but I went back to win because it wasn't stable. Maybe in the future ..but right now I'll stick to win7 ultimate..old faithful ..if it ain't broke do T fix it right.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,181Player
    I had a similar query just before the old forum got shutdown..

I would assume by now Windows 8 is pretty desktop friendly and not just a gimmick for touchscreens but I'm happy with Windows 7 and it's never give me any issues so I'm reluctant to move tbh. I remember (might even still happen) when people downright refused to upgrade from Windows XP :lol:

At some point I'm sure we will have to migrate as support for an aging O/S drops but until then I'm happy with Win 7 and don't feel a need to shell out for 8/10.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Sick_DuckerSick_Ducker Posts: 43Player
    I've been on windows 8(8.1) since I started playing this, haven't had an issue I'm aware of.
    Windows 8 has a smaller memory footprint (no Aeroglass), as well as WDDM1.2
    8 Runs on WDDM1.3, whereas 7 runs on WDDM1.1
    WDDM 1.0/1.1 only allows rudimentary task scheduling using "batch queue" granularity; improvements to multitasking, as well as fast context switching and support for virtual memory,
    7 has both XDDM and WDDM, in 8 XDDM is removed
    XDDM is the Windows 2000 display driver model
    WDDM is the windows display driver model
    One difference between the XDDM and WDDM has to do with the processing of DirectX. When the base graphics applications and hardware change, the drivers must accommodate the changes. The handling of DirectX.
    Direct3D12 requires WDDM 2.0 which is a the WDDM for windows10
    WDDM 2.0 dramatically reduces workload on the kernel-mode driver for GPUs that support virtual memory addressing

**Cons if you like old games that are only XDDM capable you will not be able to play them on windows8
    games like the original GTAs, Red Alert, and many many more.

So in short - windows8 is more efficient than 7, and 10 will be than 8.
    A clan mate of mine switched from 7 to 8 in the last couple of weeks.

I know theres some bias toward 8 and some remain on 7, but you're only fooling yourself not better utilizing hardware capability

DoGo+ wrote: »
    You see the particular pixels at the edge and they dance very fast like John Travolta
  • -[U|S|A]-Paramedic-[U|S|A]-Paramedic Posts: 53Player
    I've been using windows 8 for about 6 months and had no problems at all.
    Steve / 31Bravo
    Army Veteran
    NREMT-Paramedic
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I use 7 at work and 8 at home. I really enjoy 8, I would just suggest getting something like 'classic shell' if you use 8. Once that's installed i like it more than 7.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• =<JGF>=Thijs4555=<JGF>=Thijs4555 Posts: 27Player
    i use win 8 for more than a year now. i never had any problems.
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    I hated 8 when it first came out but have to admit that it's definitely come along way from tiles and confusion

• IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    I am sticking with Win 7 64 until they release the first Service Pack for Windows 10 (whenever that is). I've heard from others that Windows 8 is just a boosted version of the Windows Phone OS.

I'm kind of hoping that Android steps up into the PC world. I love their OS on my phone and tablet, and hoping for some competition for Microsoft because ingenuity is not in Microsoft's vocabulary any more. Long gone are the leaps from DOS to Win3.1 to Win98. IMO
    googley avatar aapg

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited April 2015
    if you have a choice between win 7 and win 8.1 go with win 7 64bit. Wait for windows 10. Never had an issues on win 7 and I'm currently on win 8.1 and I've had some minor issues.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    Windows 8.1 is a great operating system. The "8" name was unfortunately tarnished by the bugs of 8. Either wait for 10 or go 8.1. It's really the superior os.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    IO_i_OI wrote: »
    I've heard from others that Windows 8 is just a boosted version of the Windows Phone OS.

What a terrible way to describe 8. Please don't listen to these others in the future.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    edited April 2015
    switched 2-3 months ago from 7 to 8.1,never looked back only the installation was tricky,kept freezing till i disabled all onboard devices in bios
    .sauce wrote: »
    I've heard from others that Windows 8 is just a boosted version of the Windows Phone OS.

What a terrible way to describe 8. Please don't listen to these others in the future.

Sorry but I know them and don't know you. I will listen to them and not listen to you. :p
    googley avatar aapg

• omerta`jeeomerta`jee Posts: 54Player
    I'm on 8. Don't use it. 7 is way better in terms of usability. Windows 8 is so confusing.. everything keeps trying to be a full screen app.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    LOL the worst thing is the full screen caculator!!! like what??? So glad that is fixed in Windows 10 though.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    If you're taking OS advice from a video game's forums then you're doing it wrong.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player

Sorry but I know them and don't know you. I will listen to them and not listen to you. :p

I'm not trying to sell anything, I just don't think that's a very good way to describe an operating system that got nothing but hate because of tiles- regardless of it's ease of use or functionality. I didn't expect you to take my word for it, I hoped you would learn for yourself.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS

I'm not trying to sell anything, I just don't think that's a very good way to describe an operating system that got nothing but hate because of tiles- regardless of it's ease of use or functionality. I didn't expect you to take my word for it, I hoped you would learn for yourself.

Considering the agony of upgrading or installing any OS, I'll just skip 8 and probably install 10. Since Windows 10 is close to being released in September.... maybe? Of course, that depends on if a get a free copy from a friend o:)
    googley avatar aapg

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,570Player
    edited April 2015

Considering the agony of upgrading or installing any OS, I'll just skip 8 and probably install 10. Since Windows 10 is close to being released in September.... maybe? Of course, that depends on if a get a free copy from a friend o:)
    If you have Windows 7 or 8 now, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.