This is not that America's Army that i used to know 10 years ago.

This is not that America's Army that i used to know 10 years ago. Where's the old fun gone? Where are Grenade Launchers?Where are fully customizable weapons, like that was in AA SF? Where are those controllable AFVs and HMMWV's that has been planned 10 years ago? Game is bugged and instable as [TOS Violation]. Same goes to the client-server net code. Players are moving fast and twitchy as [TOS Violation], maps are more suitable for the regular arcade corridor shooter but NOT for the tactical one. I'm dissapointed much.

RIP, good old AA - i really liked you.

P.S. Sorry for my English, i know - it's very bugged too.

Comments

• iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    edited October 2015
    go play SQUAD then. no really...that game is fun and extremely tactical
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
  • =BoC=VMP=BoC=VMP Posts: 6Player
    Remember it took years to add all those features into the game. It did not happen over night. We are at AAPG 1.0 and AA did not have all those features you talked about in the release.
    AAPGSIG.png
    Check us out at bocgaming.org
  • {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 207Player
    It's 2015 my friend, it can't be exactly the same game as 10 years ago. I really like it, and all my friends too!! And I'm sure we will get much more, Hooah!
  • Scar79Scar79 Posts: 3Player
    go play SQUAD then. no really...that game is fun and extremely tactical
    Thank you very much for your advice, sir! Now i'm really surprised how is that happened that i didn't notice such A GREAT PROJECT! I've already watched all videos on their Youtube channel and registered on their web-site! What an exitement! I didn't feel such since i played ARMA2 ACE for the first time. Nerdgasm.

THANK YOU, again.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    Scar79 wrote: »
    This is not that America's Army that i used to know 10 years ago. Where's the old fun gone? Where are Grenade Launchers?Where are fully customizable weapons, like that was in AA SF? Where are those controllable AFVs and HMMWV's that has been planned 10 years ago? Game is bugged and instable as [TOS Violation]. Same goes to the client-server net code. Players are moving fast and twitchy as [TOS Violation], maps are more suitable for the regular arcade corridor shooter but NOT for the tactical one. I'm dissapointed much.

RIP, good old AA - i really liked you.

P.S. Sorry for my English, i know - it's very bugged too.

Did you ever play America's Army: Recon (version 1.0)? I assure you that none of that stuff was in that game either.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,609Beta Tester
    Today I played AA2, AA3 and AAPG. There's a lot of differences AND some similarities. The point has been made, and it's a good one, that AA1.0 didn't start out all polished and ready to go. It took time to develop it to where it got to in AA2.8.5.

I don't think a lot of people are being very realistic here in their expectations for time frame. In what they'd like to see eventually? Sure.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • GoA]z!o[N]cya[GoA]z!o[N]cya[ Posts: 109Player
    1.0 .. there wasn't even a scoreboard! lol
  • StraferXStraferX Posts: 1Player
    I miss the early versions they were great, we had some good maps and good times. Things have changed and this is pretty darn good grunt.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited October 2015
    funny.. my shoes from 10 yrs ago also dont suit me

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • -=DA=-Tw!$t3d-=DA=-Tw!$t3d Posts: 65Player
    Its a comparison of apples to oranges. The dev team has changed (Some are still around) Different Game Engines. Different "Target Market"

AA2 was great in its time. That game today would not please today's youth gamers as it did when we played it 10 years ago.

All Sarcasm aside my initial response to a topic titled "This is not that America's Army that i used to know 10 years ago." was "Duh!"
  • [eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
    edited October 2015
    Hello Forum,
    It's 2015 my friend, it can't be exactly the same game as 10 years ago. I really like it, and all my friends too!! And I'm sure we will get much more, Hooah!
    This doesn't mean that AA2 and its gameplay can't be reinterpreted in a more modern way. AA:PG is really a different kind of game, especially in the way like it is usually played.
    -
    Furthermore it is correct that the current maps are making it even worse, in particular when those maps are played on overpopulated servers; worst examples of that are Downtown or Intercept with 24 players. AA:PG really plays differently on old AA2 maps or even on maps like Overload, especially when the servers are not that overcrowded with players as they are mostly.
    -
    I am very disappointed because the developers still have not given us back a longer lasting generatable concealment in form of a grenade, regardless of the technical particle mechanism that could be used for it. In addition, we still don't have UMM support in this build after months of development. So the devs have decided to release this build without a smoke grenade equivalent and without custom map support, thereby popular custom maps servers like the BeerMe server are now reduced to the offical maps.
    -
    Finally I also rather want to see a serious AA2 remake, but AA:PG can be fun and tactical on the right maps with the right number and sort of players. Nevertheless AA:PG needs more maps like Overload and custom map support to offer players the possibilty to expierence the AA:PG gameplay on alternative maps including the old AA2 maps. Last but not least, we need smoke grenades which would give us more time to think and monitor occuring reactions; and the sound is still leaking of high-frequency tones.
    Greetings from Germany. General.Jung.
    eSport-Community, http://esportcommunity.com/

HARDEN HC mode, SMOKE Grenades, UMM Support and RELEASE LINUX Binaries !
    edited October 2015
    AA2 remake will never happen unless AA5 comes out and they decide to do so. Anyway, in the meantime we have AAPG. Personally, I don't think it's really so radically different as people want to make it out. The maps, the weapons, attachments, player counts, etc. make a big difference.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for maps with specific attachments and weapons forced on the player. I'm also waiting for FLO & BDX to stop referring to player amounts. BDX could mean smaller and FLO bigger, but otherwise get rid of the player requirements. I want to see 8v8 and 10v10. I think a lot of maps would play better at those player counts.
  • -=SoCal65=--=SoCal65=- Posts: 28Player
    I was here at the beginning of AA, and the new AAPG does take some getting used to playing. It is definitely faster paced (remember the size of some of the older maps and mission length, could be 15 minutes). And features were added over time and not present at v1 - SF mods, Driveable Vehicles, enemy AI, civilians, enemy tanks, rocket launcher not to forget the required training for sniper, medic and SF and more.

For the PG official release they even reduced the mission time from 5 to 4 minutes (and eliminated smoke) to make it even quicker. All that said, I like the new game, its graphics and sound are great, even if it is different - and that's the key, it is a different game. Play it and you'll find over time that you have a new AA game to enjoy.
    Joined Original Game: July 4, 2002  |  Joined Original Forum: Aug 05, 2002
    Funny thing is that I remember Wolverine's CSAR having rounds that took a long time with regularity. It's all about the map. Put a map like Mountain Pass or River Basin out there and 4 minutes won't be enough for a lot of rounds. It all depends on the map. The CQB type maps that we have now don't need more than 4 minutes. Any longer and you just get unnecessary camping by guys who think they're being all super tactical by waiting around for guys to run past them so they can shoot them in the back.
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    How about both long and short ones?
    Either must need long ones. Short sometimes gets repetitive.
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that I remember Wolverine's CSAR having rounds that took a long time with regularity. It's all about the map.
    Very true.

Map size plays a role of course but I think a major factor is how easy and quick it is to flank. Another major factor i think is long lines of sight.

Also doors. The 2 test maps from the opt-in had doors (sort of) but you couldn't interract with them so they had no real impact on gameplay or round times.

I'm starting to miss the remakes tbh. Before the OPT-INS started I played CSAR, Border and Dusk more than official maps i think.

I think the game could use some original "mixed outdoor and CQB objective building" type maps. (IC, WC, Pipeline, Radio Tower type maps)

• IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    edited October 2015
    10 years ago I was playing "Out of this World" I played it again and it is still as awesome now as it was back then.

Megadrive_another_world.png

googley avatar aapg

• Howie_MunsonHowie_Munson Posts: 60Player
    I admit version 1.6...and then bridge and hospital with its VIP...insurgent camp...it was awesome. Mega awesome !!! :D AAPG is fun and even the latest updates with its new sounds...I still like it !!!

Im a hospital guy, or downtown now and then...but yes, you cant compare AAPG to AA 1.6...admitted AA 1.6 was more awesome ^^
  • GoA]z!o[N]cya[GoA]z!o[N]cya[ Posts: 109Player
    edited October 2015
    Feature request: We need the option to set individual round times per map. Not only bdx <> flo.
    *edit* even the loud-out could be set individual trough ini's. this would result in a much wider set of gameplay variations.
    Hospital didn't come until AASF which was version 2.0. I believe 1.6 was airborne, radio tower, and farm raid if I remember correctly