Is Gamma Working Properly?

I usually play with gamma all the way up because some areas of the maps are dark and it is hard to see. I noticed in the release version, that dark areas still remain dark and it doesn't seem like the gamma adjustment did much at all. Is this a problem with the gamma or the maps are just much darker in general? While it may be more realistic or visually appealing to have dark and light contrast in a map, I don't think most players appreciate getting killed because they were not able to see the enemy. Would it be possible to have maps optimized for high gamma? Or just have maps that are brighter... :smiley:

Comments

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Turn it all the way down and you'll see if it's working or not.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    in game gamma is capped at 2.6, default is 2.2.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    I heard others mentioning the "darker areas" on maps. WOW, y'all have good eyes... I never noticed.
    googley avatar aapg

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,517Player
    Yes I noticed the same it is dark but my eyes are bad so I just thought it was me:)
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Be glad we are protecting you from the gamma ray exposure. You don't want to be the next Bruce Banner.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

TheTots wrote: »
    Be glad we are protecting you from the gamma ray exposure. You don't want to be the next Bruce Banner.

As long as it doesn't turn us into the other Bru...
    googley avatar aapg

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,517Player
    TheTots wrote: »

Was it not David Banner :)
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited October 2015
    As far as I know, that was just for the TV show.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• JungleSheepJungleSheep Posts: 87Player
    What was the max gamma setting before?

• [SAAC]Xtc[SAAC]Xtc Posts: 31Player
    Was it not David Banner :)
    [/quote]

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/91702/why-was-bruce-banner-named-david-banner-in-the-old-tv-show

Perhaps not on topic with this thread but here it is ;)
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    Many of the maps look dark and hard on the eyes now to me, and my vision is fine. One of the guys I play with who's colorblind has mentioned things look a lot worse for him now, to give one example.
  • JungleSheepJungleSheep Posts: 87Player
    Yeah, I don't think I want to keep adjusting my monitor setting to play the game. Pushing 'brightness' on the monitor would cause highlights to clip to full white. It would just be better if the gamma curve adjustment was wider as it wouldn't cause clipping in the shadows or highlights. It would just make the dark areas less dark.

Yeah, I don't think I want to keep adjusting my monitor setting to play the game. Pushing 'brightness' on the monitor would cause highlights to clip to full white. It would just be better if the gamma curve adjustment was wider as it wouldn't cause clipping in the shadows or highlights. It would just make the dark areas less dark.

I gotta agree. I wouldn't want to keep changing my monitor brightness between games, videos, photoshoping, etc. But since I never noticed it before until this thread then I might as well go back to not noticing. ;)
    googley avatar aapg

• I keep my nvidia control panel open. On the maps that need tweaking, I'll max out the gamma (but don't hit apply!). When I need to revert back to my default settings, I simply click "Cancel." Pain, but it's a temp work-around