Relaunch ESL competition

exc.f1shexc.f1sh Posts: 8Player
Hey guys

I came back to this amazing game with the official release and have hardly been able to stop playing since then.
I used to play AA2 competitively for a long time and I wanna go back to doing that.

As AA:PG is supported at ESL as a "new game", we should think about pushing it again, now that there is more activity, more players etc.

When I see how many teams compete at aapgversus.com I'm optimistic that this should work.

Thoughts on that?

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    I'm sure Mulgarus will be setting something up for us Soon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • exc.f1shexc.f1sh Posts: 8Player
    Well I take it that's the US-Admin for ESL? That would of course be great for you guys!
    I was also hoping for some EU action ;)
  • SSKbartSSKbart Posts: 125Player
    It can be done. We just need the teams to be ready for it.
    Join the ladder, so we can get some activity
    Btw, long time no see! (Bart_{KNIGHTS} here)
    SNLSTB.Bart^
  • [1stCav]QuePasa^[1stCav]QuePasa^ Posts: 38Player
    So we should start contacting ppl to do it... I guess we will join in a few days.

I know that atm there's no activity whatsoever but we are present in the ESL since the early days of beta and still in new games :P
    I'll have my team join esl asap! Hope many teams follow ;) Thanks 1stCAV! Also hope to see ssk there :)
  • SSKwaNtedSSKwaNted Posts: 266Player
    We will make the ladders active pretty soon, as for a new league/cup I think we have to wait a bit, but that's not only my call, we need to talk with other admins as well
    AAPGOD/ Ex R6 Pro
    Achievements
    Youtube
    Steam
    Also consider chaniging the rules, as was discussed on forums quite a long time ago. The matches just take way too long.
    edited October 2015
    Round time will be reduced to 2:30, anything else? 16 rounds or less?
    AAPGOD/ Ex R6 Pro
    Achievements
    Youtube
    Steam
  • -VI-#Sunvon.--VI-#Sunvon.- Posts: 47Player
    I think 16 rounds are perfect
    Ok, so yeah, round time set to 2:30 is cool, but there's another thing that makes this ladder time-consuming - bPlayAllRounds=true.
    -
    I suggest that we should play one map (and we play all the rounds), or.. two maps and we play until someone gets 9 rounds. That'd be awesone :)
    -
    btw:
    https://cevo.com/forums/topic/3984/suggest-new-games/americas-army-proving-grounds/6/

I'm not a fan of both actually, map pick would be random or decided by both teams and some teams can barely get along with the server choice, not playing all rounds wouldn't be fair cuz they will likely play more rounds on one of the two maps
    Theoretically with 30 seconds less we should save 16 minutes, max of 80 min for 2 maps, but unlikely all rounds will end without any time left, is that 2 much?
    AAPGOD/ Ex R6 Pro
    Achievements
    Youtube
    Steam
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    I always enjoyed the 16 rounds played on 2 maps format. Some games indeed were lasting a little long but it was usually due to something like this:

If crucial bugs get fixed and/or we get the compmode so we don't need to restart the map all the time I don't really see a downside of that format.
  • PhilippovichPhilippovich Posts: 218Player
    I am more the 1 map per match kindda of guy. As this seems to be what people with a life outside AAPG can handle on an evening.
    edited October 2015
    I feel like 1 hour gaming in the evening is doable while having a life at the same time. Having a life is even mandatory to play in the first place.

There were/are just too many delays, especially with teams being late, failing to start wire, failing to connect to the server, not getting demorec working. Basically things you could and should do before the matchtime.
    It's one hour in an ideal situation. While I can understand that the 2-round system is fair and reasonable, I am more of a one map guy like Phil :P But ok then, let's look at the possible ways we can improve the ruleset making it more appealing for everyone.
    -
    So we save some time by reducing the round time but still there's 25 sec of waiting between the rounds - we could cut it to 9 (like in AAPG-Versus). 80 minutes that you mentioned is not that much but add waiting time and you get some more.
    -
    Also, we could just reduce the rounds we have to play, but not dramatically.. like 14'd be ok? Those 4 rounds are -10 minutes, which, together with reducing the waiting time between the rounds, will make those matches closer to 60 minutes :).
    -
    edited October 2015
    It's one hour in an ideal situation. While I can understand that the 2-round system is fair and reasonable, I am more of a one map guy like Phil :P But ok then, let's look at the possible ways we can improve the ruleset making it more appealing for everyone.
    -
    So we save some time by reducing the round time but still there's 25 sec of waiting between the rounds - we could cut it to 9 (like in AAPG-Versus). 80 minutes that you mentioned is not that much but add waiting time and you get some more.
    -
    Also, we could just reduce the rounds we have to play, but not dramatically.. like 14'd be ok? Those 4 rounds are -10 minutes, which, together with reducing the waiting time between the rounds, will make those matches closer to 60 minutes :).
    -

Already did that :smiley:
    As for the 14 rounds we can talk about it with everyone else
    AAPGOD/ Ex R6 Pro
    Achievements
    Youtube
    Steam
    I love the responses and how everyone is trying to get the competition ahead. Thanks guys!

Also, try to talk to people who might not visit these forums. Let's get that scene growing!
  • PhilippovichPhilippovich Posts: 218Player
    I know that a lot of teams are not willing to invest time in to the ladders because of bad experiences.
    For instance the fact that teams were late and did not have all the prerequisite in order delayed match tremendously.
    I would therefore also see a system that you have till 5 minutes past match time to get on the server and start the game. Otherwise FFW. If both teams are not ready at 10 minutes past, then the match gets cancelled and people can move on to do what ever they do, when they do not play a comp match.
    edited October 2015
    FFW is the most stupid suggestion I've heard and I don't get why people keep bringing it up. The competition is meant for fun and for actually playing. Get them pp'ed or whatever but FFW is just destroying the pupose of the ladder which is PLAYING.
    I would say the match gets deleted if one team doesn't turn up. BUT: that would be an easy way to avoid teams you don't want to play against. Which especially with few teams could be catastrophic -.-