sound

2»

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    I had some guy sneak up on my yesterday, I was like "come on" you gotta make a peep at least when you're close to me.. its definitely quiet, as intended I guess.. There are ups and downs for using it

it might not help you simple because the enemy was just looking in your direction not because you werent quiet.. or they could have heard you BEFORE you went quiet.. I see that a lot in game, someone would be heard running right before going tactical.. die, then complain.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,148Player
    edited October 2015
    SOPMOD wrote: »
    I think this is very much related to how good your opponents soundcard/headset is.

I use tactical mode all the time and in the end, it doesn't really help me at all for 99% of the time.

Rarely can i sneak up behind someone who is moderately skilled.

I still use tactical mode, because yes it helps somewhat, but "no one can hear you at all" is not an accurate description for it in my experience.

I've heard some of the best players with the best sound cards talking about the same thing as I said. Crouch + tactical is practically 100% quiet. The difference is (as Doba said), if he heard you before you started to go into tactical, then of course he'll be waiting for you.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited October 2015

Saccho wrote: »
    Sr.Gatilho wrote: »
    I think it's EMBARRASSING the sound we have I mean...10 years ago in AA2 I could easily understand if someone was running above or below me now with all the technology advances I can't?or the enemy is 5 steps and nothing? i can hear a pin being pulled off from distance but footsteps can't?c'mon devs you can do better than this..the game is a mess right now

This is a good time to link to this post from Soundy on the difficulties with developing audio. Technology changes, expectations change, there's constant pressure from the players to work on "optimization"... . It's not a simple topic.

Personally, I think the audio is the current release is very good.

The sound is very poor compared to the potential, and if your gonna tell players/community how it is tell them exactly how it is the Z-Axis's they have tried take up too much CPU usage, The game has 10% of cpu dedicated to sound with a 15% peak, The game/unreal engine 3 only uses 1 CPU, so basically in order to have a z-axis they would have to remove all their new some-what realistic sound features they are so in love with like sound occlusion and gun fire and other noise drowning out footsteps etc, and even then it still might not be enough because how much cpu usage does gun sounds and footsteps sounds and all other sounds take up? Basically they are using too new of a sound api engine for too old of a unreal 3 engine, If the game was on unreal engine 4 which is free to use btw, All these problems would be gone because the game would then use 4 cores and we would have much better performance and the sound engine could potentially have unlimited possibilities. The whole reason for switching sound engines was so directional sound and z-axis(ability to tell easily if a sound is above you or below you) would be put in game/ improved upon. IMO the old sound engine XAudio2 was much more consistent in what you could hear than this current sound engine and it is just down right awful to know this.
    Also in terms of optimization and comparing this game to current AAA titles acting as if this game holds up is laughable, If we were on a engine that used all 4 cores of the cpu sure, I am sure optimization would be miles better. You simply cannot compare this game to an AAA Title because it is a small studio of devs who work on it and I am very greatful for what they have done/tried to do with their limit resources and stuffing all this stuff into 1 cpu core, but lets not lie to ourselves and the community claiming the audio in the current release is very good.
    Saccho wrote: »
    Personally, I think the audio is the current release is very good.

It's far from very good, it lacks major consistency, it has no z-axis, the directional is worse than the previous sound engine, will all the new features like sound occlusion and gun sounds drowning out footsteps, hearing someone switch guns better/further than you can hear them make footsteps, hearing them reload better than you can hear their footsteps, hearing them pull grenade pins and you can't even hear them making any footstep noise, The list of issues with the way sound is in the current release just goes on and on.
    one can not legitimately think that this sound is "very good". The sound is my biggest issue with the game.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Everyone told Soundy, "Stop it with the Occlusion and stuff!!!"

So now we have people running around west choke on Inner and when you're up and over you think you're going to trip over the guy.

:shrug:

The game still has sound occlusion it has just been improved upon, there was a bug in one of the opt-ins where you could not hear anything from west wing unless you were in west wing that was full occlusion at it's finest. They for some reason thought aiming the sound for huge realism would be really good with a very arcadish/very far from realism gameplay, and I think they failed miserably in that the sound engine is suppose to preach realism its far from it. Whether that is because of engine restrictions/limitations I have no idea.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    SOPMOD wrote: »
    I think this is very much related to how good your opponents soundcard/headset is.

I use tactical mode all the time and in the end, it doesn't really help me at all for 99% of the time.

Rarely can i sneak up behind someone who is moderately skilled.

I still use tactical mode, because yes it helps somewhat, but "no one can hear you at all" is not an accurate description for it in my experience.

I've heard some of the best players with the best sound cards talking about the same thing as I said. Crouch + tactical is practically 100% quiet. The difference is (as Doba said), if he heard you before you started to go into tactical, then of course he'll be waiting for you.

IMO I ever since the very last patch where sound changes were made footstep distance seems to have been nerfed quite a bit and the amount of noises and how powerful they are in drowning out enemy footstep's volume seems to have raised significantly than previous opt-ins again I am talking about probably the patch 3 patches ago to the current release, the one that last had sound changes. It became totally unplayable for me after that. Became a guessing game of what you could hear and what you can't hear, very inconsistent, I also needed a break from witnessing so many changes forcing me to change my gameplay over and over again. I will try the game again soon and post my thoughts. That way there I won't go into it expecting to hear this and that because of previous opt-ins etc...I am sure I still won't be pleased though.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 454Player
    To summarize the above posts. Consider yourself lucky if you did not have to play through the first iteration of the opt-in sounds. In comparison to those, yeah.. sound is GRRRRRREAT.

I'm sure we'll see further tweaking from the devs.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • Sound is terrible surround doesnt work at all, like open beta worked extremely fine.
  • ~YAOTZIN~~YAOTZIN~ Posts: 1Player
    edited October 2015
    I hope that soon will be released a patch to sounds, since it currently appears that the manufacturer has decided to promote the sale of cheats and where the enemy is currently da know only if one has wallh.ack. Sounds steps are blurred and conversely own sound step in the open air many times sounds like I'm running around the bathroom.He can hear a man behind a wall, but you can not hear the enemy a.s.s. So far this game to postpone the release of patches AA'm very fond of, but now it's unplayable, boring and not interesting.

sorry for my English through a translator
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    .sauce wrote: »
    Well that is quite the out of context overgeneralization keebs.

Of course you're right, but....just about everything about the sound discussion is taken out of the context of past discussions and overgeneralized. Instead of encouraging the sound team and giving them useful feedback, it's all "it sucks, it's disgusting" yada yada. That's pretty overgeneralized.

However, I see issues with the sound too. Sound balance and priority, and drop off over distance to name a few. Also, unlike others, I really like the idea of muffling sounds that go through objects...maybe then we wouldn't have the issue at Main Choke/Up and Over on Inner....

Honestly, I don't know how the Devs get ANYTHING done with the non-feedback negative commentary around here.

When talking about the exact same issue, "Do this/Don't do this" is a recipe for going nowhere fast! That's what this community has been doing.

:(

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    I must be lucky then because I am hearing people pretty well. I hear when people are above me, below me, what surface they are on, etc. The only issue for me is that it's not 100% consistent and sometimes there is a dead zone at about a 15 degree arc behind you. Once you get some more hours in, you'll be able to locate where people are more easily.
    It seems that UE3 is a big problem when it comes to sound. Makes you wonder if "great" sound is even possible on the engine. I would hope that the Devs will continue to work on sound and try to improve it. However, it seems like they can only do so much based on what they have to work with. It would be great if there was a large enough Dev team to have a group work on AAPG as it is and another group work on porting the game to UE4. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like such a thing would be possible. Devs have said that it would take at least an entire year to port the game. Whether that number is just a random estimate or a real number, I'm not sure.
  • LashPTLashPT Posts: 12Player
    Sound is terrible surround doesnt work at all, like open beta worked extremely fine.

+1
  • RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    Directional sound works quite well on my onboard soundcard realtek alc892
  • I just played my first match. Went 22-18 (*RAWR* - those of you who play with me know EXACTLY why =).

The sound is much better than it was. It's closer to what AA2 was. With the game tweaking sounds, you should have the option of picking your input and output device. I have no issues with selecting devices in game and if need (using EAX enhancer (DFX) which also helps increase environment. I must say, I am very pleased with the new stuff.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 358Player
    I'm happy with the current sound. Directional works just fine here.
    Oh well.
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    AA3 used UE3 and OpenAL, couldn't they use it again instead of going for wwise? Unless I'm missing something, seems like an unnecessary risk.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    It's not a risk, Wwise is a very viable sound engine to use in video games and lots of developers use it in their titles, check out some of the modern games that also make use of the tech..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiokinetic_Wwise#Adoption_by_video_games

pretty cool huh?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

AA3 used UE3 and OpenAL, couldn't they use it again instead of going for wwise? Unless I'm missing something, seems like an unnecessary risk.

I believe OpenAL is no longer supported and quite out of date. Wwise is supposed to be quite good. One of the issues is that apparently z-axis sound requires a lot of CPU power. It wouldn't be much of an issue for modern machines, but UE3 only supports single core processing. As a result, having z-axis sound would bog down the game too much it seems. If the game was on UE4, which supports quad core processing, there wouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I'd like to see how the game would sound without all of the added "effects" and just using the pure sound system. Also, doing that I wonder if the CPU usage of z-axis would be as harmful.
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    One would think that the extra effects would be the first thing to go if the performance starts to be a problem. Priorities I guess...
  • -[RAND]-skineal-[RAND]-skineal Posts: 27Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    So now we have people running around west choke on Inner and when you're up and over you think you're going to trip over the guy.
    :shrug:
    Lol - I have experienced exactly this - up and over now sounds like crazy busy with footsteps when ppl are below you - to the point that I cant trust my sound in that area at all...well except for when I can hear the sound of footsteps on north stairs from a quarter way along up and over...
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    People can run up on top of me and I can't hear them anymore, whereas I could hear them just fine in beta. Being that quiet without gear would be hard, but with all the gear it'd be super difficult.

After getting out of my noob state, it was very hard to choke me in beta; now, it feels way easier due to the sound issue. I've only gotten choked a few times, but when I have, it was in situations it wouldn't have been able to happen in before.