Opt-In Beta Audio and You!

Comments

• iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    Even the the sounds from OPEN BETA "feels" correct, we just need to adjust ambient and roll off. The sound distance on OPT IN is actually really far and it's good. At times it feel like it's too close or too far, but that can be fixed.

I think bottom line is.

OPEN BETA sounds with Opt in distance and roll over. As far as that HDR thing... meh.. not a fan
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
  • ENFORCER1983ENFORCER1983 Posts: 10Player
    Initial impression of the new sounds were great. After a few rounds, I noticed gunshots weren't resonating as a normal weapon discharging should. They didn't seem to have the typical resonating sound. For those who've played Arma3 you know the sound ...rifle echoing through the woods and sounds of gunfire bouncing off nearby structures, back to their origin. This gives the game audible depth and creates more realism in a simulated environment. If the dev's are going with the muffled "wearing ear protection" sound, I suppose it's justifiable.

I also heard many enemies which were awaiting a revive. Upon speaking, it was amplified and echoed for a very long time. It gave the feeling of being in an enclosed area when in all actuality, I was in a large room. The sound gave the false sense of lacking depth, in an audible sense. ...maybe tone down the echoing from vocals?
    pIhJdub.png
  • [NoL]Blaise[NoL]Blaise Posts: 18Player
    This has all been mentioned before, but figured the more people speak out on this the better.

1. Gun sounds are OK, other than the bazooka pistols
    2. Too much bass and reverb in some areas
    3. Footsteps are too quiet
    4. Cannot tell where gunfire is coming from
    5. Dat jet on the new map...

Some good things in this Opt-in beta, sound is really I only issue I have with it. Hopefully as you get to grips with the new sound engine this will all get fixed ;)
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player

My feedback on sound. In a video
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Remember to test the sound with Flat equalizer settings, and SBX Pro Studio off (if you're a Soundblaster card owner). The sound was a lot different at first when I neglected to turn these off. However, the majority of posts in the thread still stand, just that the sound was different.

Ewww flat eq...and you def want SBX Pro Studio on...You want Surround between 35%-40%.

crystalizer off dialog plus off bass off

SVM (you want to find the correct value for your sound setup/headphones if you want the best out of your headphones/soundcard.) It still however is user preference. The the thing that matters 100% is the Surround between 35-40%. Rest of values can be user pref but I would find the SVM that suites your headset.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Z-axis sound isn't in this build. That was mentioned in the announcement podcast, so it was a smaller piece of trivia to pick up on with all the other excitement happening. They did mention it in advance though.
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 454Player
    edited April 2015
    Ewww flat eq...and you def want SBX Pro Studio on...You want Surround between 35%-40%.

crystalizer off dialog plus off bass off

SVM (you want to find the correct value for your sound setup/headphones if you want the best out of your headphones/soundcard.) It still however is user preference. The the thing that matters 100% is the Surround between 35-40%. Rest of values can be user pref but I would find the SVM that suites your headset.

I have personalized EQ settings and SBX on during comp/pubbing sessions while playing the regular version of the game. I'm suggesting flat EQ and SBX off so that we can experience the true sound as it is being relayed by the game 1:1. It's the best way to beta test sounds for the opt-in, otherwise we are all hearing differently because of our personalized settings.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
    edited April 2015
    Yah well I hear fine and pretty good with my settings. Im not having trouble hearing footsteps at all. If I go to flat eq and turn svm off I would prolly not hear footsteps very well, and loud noise would really muffle out the footsteps.

• {NNS}MrDooglass{NNS}MrDooglass Posts: 2Player
    I love the new gun sounds! I just wish that they sounded a little louder.
    I love the new gun sounds! I just wish that they sounded a little louder.
    They are already loud enough.

• {NNS}MrDooglass{NNS}MrDooglass Posts: 2Player
    I can't opt in!!

I right click the game in steam, go to properties, then Betas... Now in the scroll down button it is highlighted blue and wont open to let me choose the option to opt in.. Is something wrong on my end? Or is only limited to certain amount of people??
    I was having that problem and then i realized I had the AA:PG launcher open. Try closing the launcher and it should work.

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Yah well I hear fine and pretty good with my settings. Im not having trouble hearing footsteps at all. If I go to flat eq and turn svm off I would prolly not hear footsteps very well, and loud noise would really muffle out the footsteps.

I hear foosteps just fine with a shoddy pair of earphones, but not through my surround speakers. I have tried adjusting volume levels of all the speaker channels independently and still cant get footsteps to come good.

It's a crying shame as my speakers do a banging job of making the rest of the game sound fantastic but without footsteps I'm fearful of chokes. So these headphones are gonna have to do me until either I find out why they don't come through with any sort of meaningful volume myself.. or someone posts up a miracle cure to do with individual settings :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    okay so this is bugging me immensely. walking on a certain type of wood floor has a constant metallic clicking sound (like you would expect to hear in aa2 when someone changes run speed, pulls nade, swaps weapon, etc) this floor type is all the indoor floors on siege. please take a look at it and remove the clicking sound. would love to get quoted here by soundy to let me know he gets what i mean and i'm not just crazy person hearing this.

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited April 2015
    Audio from AA2 was and still is one of the best, imo

Gunfire and footsteps are perfect

i love this audio. nothing is competing with each other. nothing is dampening or muffling out the other. you can clearly tell what is happening via sound (not just footsteps). it also happens to be very fun and immersive. you are more aware of the threats on the field. when you get shot at you do not experience that aapg blinding and screen shaking suppression junk. the audio does all the work. those effects aren't even needed with this sorta sound. that is an awesome video game built for competition. and just happens to use the same settings in pubs as comp. who woulda thunk it.
    -
    i can't praise this game's sound enough. it is the first reason i hated aa3 (not the revives). it's the only reason one would need to install or uninstall.

• [1stCav].Liban[1stCav].Liban Posts: 7Player
    edited April 2015
    I use Asus Xonar D1 with headphones SuperLux HMC - 631 with drivers from Asus and my feedback is that:

PLZ GIVE ME BACK OLD SOUNDS

For me:

1. Directional sound is broken I can not distinguish where is enemy
    2. Flash and grenade explosion sounds like a crackle
    3. Guns sound like a toy on capsfire
    4. Generally sounds are more unreadable and mixed

.shhfiftyfive was right AA 2.5 got the best audio engine

But i want to say good job and thankyou
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    The original AAO from 2002 has a very interesting backstory. As I understand it, some graduate students at the Dept of Naval Intelligence and the MOVES Institute theorized that 3D game applications could be used for training etc. One of the BIG pushes during that development was how immersive audio could really make the simulated environment work. In fact, there's a White Paper kicking around somewhere on that very subject.
    -
    I have no idea what the mandate for AAPG is (or how accurate my above info is....its been awhile!!) Anyone remember [DEV]Abraxas?! :p
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • omerta`jeeomerta`jee Posts: 54Player
    Ek's video is so accurate. The sounds seem to be at random distances and change the direction of where they're coming based on the way you're looking. Those are my biggest gripes
  • ={101st}=THROBACK1={101st}=THROBACK1 Posts: 27Player
    the voice chat keeps on only working sometimes its odd over all great release
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    One of the BIG pushes during that development was how immersive audio could really make the simulated environment work.
    -
    I have no idea what the mandate for AAPG is (or how accurate my above info is....its been awhile!!) Anyone remember [DEV]Abraxas?!

It was immersive partly because those sounds were frightening. That was the best part of it. Shooting full auto with the current guns, even the saw and rpk, doesn't affect your state of mind like the old guns could do sometimes.

Abraxas was lead developer or something? :) i just liked the name that's why i remember him.
  • Talking about inmersion, anyone who has played ArmA 2 or 3 and tested Jarhead's Sounds, remember the mechanical sound you can hear when shooting in first person? I don't know about you, but I think that would be a nice feature if it could be done.
    About the weapons, some weapons have a lot of echo that you can feel spreading miles around (M249) and some others that have that sonic crack, but no echo at all (M4)
    Maybe that's one of the reasons some people love M249 and M16 sounds but don't feel others like M4 have anything special.
This discussion has been closed.