Linux Server Binaries and Server Freedom

[eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
edited April 2015 in General Discussion

Dear Forum,

I am happy to see that the developers are going to give us a full featured in-game menu in AA:PG, I really hope that the reliability of custom map downloads will be improved with that change. I am also pleased about the new sound engine we can test in a few days. Last but not least I am happy that the developers are thinking about a hardcore mode (classic mode) rework, I am hoping that the gameplay will get more into a AA2 direction as the name "classic mode" is able to create hopes for. Or just solve it with more server variables to give admins the ability to make the game more slowpaced, I may outline that in a other thread.

But there is one more concern admins for what I want to get more allies here in this thread:

Linux Binaries, at least for servers.

Greetings from Germany. General.Jung.
eSport-Community, http://esportcommunity.com/

HARDEN HC mode, SMOKE Grenades, UMM Support and RELEASE LINUX Binaries !

Comments

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    This is still on our to do list, along with Mac versions.
    We need to get the Windows version finished before we start working on all of that though!
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• [UGM]Fire@enemy[UGM]Fire@enemy Posts: 10Player
    Linux would be great for server side! I have noticed in every game server I have played that Linux based game servers run smoother than windows.
  • ElementisElementis Posts: 134Player
    I would love to be able to play this game on Ubuntu operating system instead of Windows.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,018Moderator
    As i see it, the biggest reason to run linux server is the cost, at least when it comes to home users.
    I could potentially set up a server at home, but the license for a win server is far over what im willing to spend on a gameserver.
    (you could get decent homeserver hw capable of running small servers for "pennies")
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • [UGM]Fire@enemy[UGM]Fire@enemy Posts: 10Player
    That is true Frankof, but I am more focused on the performance of the server than the cost. We run 2 arma servers, 2 csgo servers, ts, and a insurgency server, without ever getting any lag. It is all ran on Centos 7. I believe setting up linux based server hosting is the best option. 

I like Windows as my home OS, but for server hosting it's by far the worst and linux triumphs it.
  • [eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
    edited April 2015

Hello Guys,

first of all I would like to thank you for your clear statement on that TheTots, that makes me hopeful.

As Frankof said the costs are a big factor for small hosters, not only because of the windows license but also because common linux server setups need less hardware ressources, in much cases, as a windows server doing the same. Futhermore unix-like system are more reliable.

Greetings from Germany. General.Jung.
    eSport-Community, http://esportcommunity.com/

HARDEN HC mode, SMOKE Grenades, UMM Support and RELEASE LINUX Binaries !
  • vivaputinvivaputin Posts: 2Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    This is still on our to do list, along with Mac versions.
    We need to get the Windows version finished before we start working on all of that though!

Before you start working on the Linux game client? :P
  • n1]Ray.eun1]Ray.eu Posts: 6Player
    After the final release of aapg I hope you start doing work for servers and not clients (if there are not huge bugs)
    We are waiting for linux binaries (server side) since AA 2.5 :worried: