What Sound Setups/Headphones do you have?

.dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
edited July 2015 in R&R
I would like to know peoples sound cards or headphone amp/dac and headphones/headsets setups and how they like them.

Sound card:
Currently I have X-Fi Titanium HD - It was the top of the line card from creative when I bought it. (Best card I have owned obviously - They do not make them or sell them anymore they are hard to find) Still using the CMSS-3D I have heard CMSS-3D is better than SBX TRUE STUDIO SURROUND because with CMSS-3D it's a check mark to enable and not a % like the sound blaster series has. Also macro fx and elevation filter is on by default and there is no option in the sound blaster console to change that but for the X-Fi in the console launcher under game mode you can turn MacroFX off and elevation filter on which is huge for some games. I have never owned a sound blaster series to test. But google is your friend :smile:

Headphones I have owned: (The ones that I can remember I have owned a bunch of cheap Headsets.)
Creative Fatal1ty - decent for gaming not really good for anything else. (32ohms...20hz-20khz)
HD558's - really good for gaming not really good for music IMO. Not that wide of a sound stage. (50ohms...15-28khz) Was very happy with these when I got them because I was used to mid-low level gaming headsets and these were a huge improvement over that I was very glad I decided to go with expensive high end studio headphones they are def worth it.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250ohm - really wide sound stage, excellent for gaming so far, very low volume had to crank my volume in creative console launcher from a previous 50 to 65%, and really good for music. Took me a while to find an equalizer that worked for both gaming and music. My previous equalizer settings for hd 558's and others did not work. (250ohms...5-35khz)

Overall I have to say the DT 990 pro 250ohms are the best headphones I have ever had or got the luxury of listening too. Also I am wondering if anyone owns the Sound Blaster E1, E3, E5, X7 or X7 Limited Edition, would love to know how these amps/dacs are working for people if anyone has one? Because I plan on buying the Sound Blaster E3 or E5 to use as a headphone amp/dac for my current headphones so I can power them properly when using my phone, ipod, ipad, etc. Stuff that I can't use my sound card to power them with.
Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

Comments

• SSKwaNtedSSKwaNted Posts: 266Player
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium Pro Series
    Sennheiser Pc 360 g4me
    AAPGOD/ Ex R6 Pro
    Achievements
    Youtube
    Steam
  • =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    edited July 2015
    I have the SB ZXR and Beyerdynamic DT880s 600ohm. For me the sound is a little less boomy than the 990s and the amp in the ZXR drives them decently. One day I would love to get a dedicated DAC and a tube amp for them. The Beyers really shine on tubes.
  • 12ampage12ampage Posts: 64Player
    Colts do you have to use a dedicated amp for your 250ohm headphones? Or does the sound card support that?
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited July 2015
    12ampage wrote: »
    Colts do you have to use a dedicated amp for your 250ohm headphones? Or does the sound card support that?
    My sound card supports up to 300 or 330ohms so it's powering them good enough. If you ain't got a dedi amp or sound card that supports that then you would need one for sure.

most of the newer sound cards say they support up to 600ohms like sound blaster z/zx/zxr.
    I have the SB XTR and Beyerdynamic DT880s 600ohm. For me the sound is a little less boomy than the 990s and the amp in the XTR drives them decently. One day I would love to get a dedicated DAC and a tube amp for them. The Beyers really shine on tubes.

yah I went with the DT990's because they are open I prefer open headphones because they say open have better directional sound than closed the DT880's are semi-open. Never tried the 880's though. But the 990's are pretty boomy on flat eq with the eq I am usng now though they seem great. Also what is the XTR? Can you link me?

• =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    You can use 600 ohm headphones without an amp but they may not get as loud as you like or have the power for some large transient swings and your bass will be weak.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited July 2015
    Realtek ALC 1150 115dB SNR HD Audio - Gigabyte on board :persevere: Looking at SB XTR

Audio Technica AD700X headphones...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    SB ZXR you guys mean :wink:

• SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    edited July 2015
    Sound Blaster Recon3D USB
    Sennheiser HD 215

Nothing more is needed if we speak about this game only. It is not AA2, you will not hear magical sounds from half of the map or from the enemy spawn. I still pwn pubstars. With same headphones and X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (Entrertainment Mode) I was able to hear everything in AA2. It is not worse in AA:PG.

If we don't speak about this game only I still don't need anything better :P
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    got my ipod headphones, don't need cards to pwn scrubs

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited July 2015
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited July 2015
    ^^^ Well your sound doesn't shoot the gun

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Ears can see but sound can't shoot guns? Sennheiser PC363D and no money for a soundcard here.
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    walkman headphones and a walkman.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 346Beta Tester
    MoBo onboard ROG Supreme FX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Sennheiser 3D G4ME 1 PC 363D
    015c0ab623b454cffe80c9c007fbb62f21aeac80.jpg
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    In all seriousness though, Razer blackshark or whatever its called and no soundcard.

Bought a Plantronics headset back in aa2 and a computer from walmart and had better sound than most l33t stars and there sound cards.

• Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    In all seriousness though, Razer blackshark or whatever its called and no soundcard.

Bought a Plantronics headset back in aa2 and a computer from walmart and had better sound than most l33t stars and there sound cards.

Thats because those 1337 weekend pro gamers use the predefined FPS,RPG,RACING and what not settings that come with the software pre set up by some sponsored multi tournament winning ,winking smiling on the sound card box pro gamer instead of spending 20-30 minutes on setting it up so that it works best with the game they are playing.

Running whatever sound you have on your pc pushing it through a home stereo amp with analog EQ was really popular back in the day of AA2 to get the maximum out .

• intoXicatedintoXicated Posts: 12Player
    7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC1150)
    &
    Sound Blaster Tactic3D Wrath Wireless
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,055Moderator
    An old x-fi fatal1ty and sennheiser HD515.
    It was a pain finding drivers for win 7, so i probably will have to get a new sound card if i go with win10.
    ss_4_frankof.png
    edited July 2015
    frankof wrote: »
    An old x-fi fatal1ty and sennheiser HD515.
    It was a pain finding drivers for win 7, so i probably will have to get a new sound card if i go with win10.

Dude they are so behind with windows 10 drivers. The new sound blaster z series cards won't have a driver till August. They don't even have beta drivers, its sad. For me X-FI Titanium HD is estimated driver of October 2015...For your old xfi fatal1ty it is October 2015 as well.

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=126331

They don't even have drivers for Windows 10 on their latest series the E-Series (headphone dacs) and their top of the line thing atm the Sound Blaster X7/X7 Limited Edition (A high end amp).

• omerta`easyomerta`easy Posts: 46Player
    edited July 2015
    Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC/Amp -- Love this thing
    O2+ODAC Combo

My headphones that are well suited for gaming:
    Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 595
    Audio Technica ATH AD700x and A700.
    Byerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm
    Samson sr850

The AT headphones are definitely the best for competitive gaming. The 880s and hd600s are a little more enjoyable to listen to for most applications. The sr850 are really cheap and almost as good as the AD700 for directional sound. Unfortunately they are uncomfortable and their sound signature fatigues my ears very quickly.