ACI Bans - "Shared IP Accounts" - question

when you see Shared IP Accounts, does that mean the person 100% has hacked and been caught by ACI? or is it possible it is a different person?

tx!

Comments

• FroggyFraggerFroggyFragger Posts: 4Player
    Nope. Unless it's repeated overlapping ip's it doesn't prove much. In the days of dynamic ip addys a single instance of shared ip's isn't proof of hacking in any way shape or form.
  • t[F]s.ARTAQt[F]s.ARTAQ Posts: 46Player
    darn. tx for the info...too bad a.c.i. doesnt remove that then...if it could be incorrect it shouldn't be there.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    The worst thing is that they now include links from other games too. My account is liked to about 150 others and 2 of them are even banned..
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    It's very rare but its possible...But every single shared IP ban I've saw back in the AA2 days. Was when the IP was used with the 2 different names at the same time or within days of each other. Which could easily be someone's brother who hacked and they suffer from it too.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Even when it really is the same IP, there's no guarantee it's the same player. Father and son or siblings playing the same game on the same router is going to look like a very convincing link between two accounts. Same goes for a visiting friend playing at your house. These are situations that take even more effort to identify and I don't trust all admins to interpret correctly.

ACI chooses to display everything and leave it to the admins to interpret.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    oh ya it was my brother's PC in the washroom, my grandma accidentally pwned you all with hax.. now Im banned?

^^ yup.. thats what it is !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    I had a case in another game where the son cheated and the dad was banned from my clan's server as a result. How to handle it was a tough decision because it was clearly the same static IP and it's hard to build a strong case to show that it was two separate people. Clan policy won out in the end and the ban stood, but it wasn't a result I felt particularly happy about.

These aren't just hypothetical cases and excuses for dirty players. Housemates share IPs. Dynamic IPs cause all sorts of issues resulting from admins that don't know any better. It's not an enormously complicated system, but it's not exactly easy either, and I see people get it wrong over and over again.
    Im sure there are special cases, howerver % wise I wouls say the excuse takes it.. I guess one has to control the household a little better.. let it be clear that its not only the kids reputation if thats the case.. dont know.. obviously you can only control to a point.. its a tough situation

How about the group of college friends that play AAPG together? 4 people under the same roof? That's a lot of linked accounts, especially when some people have more than one. What happens to the other 3 if one decides to join the Dark Side?

There are ways to try to sort all of this out. I'm just saying it's not immediately obvious if Account A and Account B are the same person or not even when the IPs are static and overlapping, normally one of the best-case scenarios for linking accounts via IPs and login info.

As for %wise... I really don't know. Are individual players with multiple accounts more prevalent than unique gamers playing from behind the same IPs? Maybe. I wouldn't want to guess. When there are three dirty accounts linked to a single clean one that was never even seen until the most recent ban happened... well, we can all guess what's going on there.
  • Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    In the top secret anti cheat facebook group someone asked about xy player if anyone knows anything about him,first i discovered 5 AAPG acounts in total with a static unchanging ip.After checking them out one by one discovered that one of them is linked by IP to 18 other AAPG accounts from witch 7 are PB banned and they also have only 1 IP displayed (guess hes provider gives him a static ip?).
    if 4 college students are playing under the same IP, i'm guessing they know exactly what the other is doing.. by allowing it I guess they all take that risk.. I mean unless they don't talk to each other and don't enter one another's rooms .. I don't know..

• -vortex-vortex Posts: 188Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    if 4 college students are playing under the same IP, i'm guessing they know exactly what the other is doing.. by allowing it I guess they all take that risk.. I mean unless they don't talk to each other and don't enter one another's rooms .. I don't know..

Or they don't hack when they play together but one of them does on their own time and get banned for it. RIP other innocent players.
    TheTots wrote:
    I think this thread has run it's course......

Or they don't hack when they play together but one of them does on their own time and get banned for it. RIP other innocent players.

I mean we can make up instances all day long, in the end I dont give 2 [TOS Violation] what they say, but thats just me!

I mean we can make up instances all day long, in the end I dont give 2 [TOS Violation] what they say, but thats just me!

I mean, I don't care much about who does what...

P.S. what's AA?
    TheTots wrote:
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    BCPull wrote: »
    I had a case in another game where the son cheated and the dad was banned from my clan's server as a result. How to handle it was a tough decision because it was clearly the same static IP and it's hard to build a strong case to show that it was two separate people. Clan policy won out in the end and the ban stood, but it wasn't a result I felt particularly happy about.

These aren't just hypothetical cases and excuses for dirty players. Housemates share IPs. Dynamic IPs cause all sorts of issues resulting from admins that don't know any better. It's not an enormously complicated system, but it's not exactly easy either, and I see people get it wrong over and over again.

So I wonder how an admin can interpret this with the information given by ACI history tool? It is nice to have benefit of the doubt, but other than trusting the word of the player who says it was his son, I don't see the way to prove the innocence of that player in your example.

And in this case, you can ban the player for overlapping(not only shared) IP, and if he can prove otherwise lift the ban later.

Otherwise why to use ACI tool in the first place?

One thing I do not know at the moment: Does ACI use MAC ID match for overlapping IPs like it used to be for AA2 or just the IP?
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,076Moderator
    So I wonder how an admin can interpret this with the information given by ACI history tool? It is nice to have benefit of the doubt, but other than trusting the word of the player who says it was his son, I don't see the way to prove the innocence of that player in your example.

And in this case, you can ban the player for overlapping(not only shared) IP, and if he can prove otherwise lift the ban later.

One thing I do not know at the moment: Does ACI use MAC ID match for overlapping IPs like it used to be for AA2 or just the IP?
    Spend some time looking at the time stamp of the ip log, the longer the time span between shared ip the less likely it is to be shared.
    As for MAC, its useless, its supposed to be unique but it isn't, back in the days of AA2, one of the fellow betas shared MAC with +4000 other players as a big manufacturer didn't flash their NIC with a individual number.

IMHO, a shared ip is not a reason to put a account up on a shared ban list, what you do on your private server is up to you.
    ss_4_frankof.png
    frankof wrote: »
    IMHO, a shared ip is not a reason to put a account up on a shared ban list, what you do on your private server is up to you.

I agree, I play CS:GO with people who live in my house at the university, and if they sit in their room and hack I wouldn't want to be responsible for that just because of a shared IP. Same should apply for AA.
    TheTots wrote:
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player

Spend some time looking at the time stamp of the ip log, the longer the time span between shared ip the less likely it is to be shared.
    As for MAC, its useless, its supposed to be unique but it isn't, back in the days of AA2, one of the fellow betas shared MAC with +4000 other players as a big manufacturer didn't flash their NIC with a individual number.

Ok the MAC argument is strong.. but I wasnt talking about only shared IP, I was talking about overlapping IP as shown as direct link (which is different than shared IP)

I agree, I play CS:GO with people who live in my house at the university, and if they sit in their room and hack I wouldn't want to be responsible for that just because of a shared IP. Same should apply for AA.

this is of course bad for ppl playing behind the same router, but this argument would negate any usage of history tool. Any tos violator could/would argue that his smurf accounts are all different players.

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,516Player
    There are some great excuses for getting caught hacking like.
    It was my mum she did it because I would not do the washing up.
    Some even make excuses in advance like "I play in a internet café,hope no one in there is hacking I will have same ip".
    It was my brother not me.
    It was my son not me.
    My friend stayed over it was him.
    gKQ6BB2.png
    (Assuming the same IP for all of the following)

Strong evidence of same player:
    Acct1 June 8
    Acct1 June 8
    ACCT1 BANNED
    Acct2 June 9 (first sighting)
    Acct2 June 9

Strong evidence for different players at the same house with overlapping IP links:
    Acct1 June 8, 9pm: server 1
    Acct2 June 8, 9:02pm: server 2 (hard to play two accounts on two different servers simultaneously)
    Acct1 June 8, 9:32pm: server 3
    Acct2 June 8, 9:45pm: server 4

Only slightly ambiguous case -- could be buds playing together, could be the infamous ghost/spec second account, but most likely two different players (especially if there are spans of time when only one account is active)
    Acct1 June 8, 9pm: server 1
    Acct2 June 8, 9pm: server 1