Think positive thoughts,
say positive words,
do positive actions
and the positive grows.

Comments

• Tots deletes all of my best posts. :(
    kickpipe.jpg
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    So here's the thing with how this all connects to gaming.

You've got some players that think getting into the opponents' head is part of the game, so they try to troll and, if someone responds, they take it as a cue to dig deeper and really focus in on that guy. They'd tell you "I don't mean it, it's just part of the game."

You've got other players that do the same thing, but just because they think it's funny to watch other people react. "Hey, that made her upset, LOL, let's keep it up." Ask them why they'd do it and they'd say "They're too serious, so it's funny to watch them rage."

Then there are the players that rage and call names and shout because... they don't have any other place where they can get away with it. They'd get fired if they acted that way in their job and society calls them on it if they try it in public. The internet's their last bastion for easy expression of hate speech.

So what happens when a truly vile person comes on and spews nasty language? You get players from the other categories defending them -- "Nah, he doesn't reallllly mean the stuff he says, we're all just joking." But to any reasonable outside observer, what's the difference?

Then, every time there's some nasty "event", the decent people are that much more likely to throw their hands up and say "I've got better ways to spend my time than listening to cretins spew insults" and it gets that much easier for people to act nasty and get away with it. Meanwhile, if decent people speak out against it, they become the new targets.

It's all rather sad. I wish I had a good answer for how to address it. I suspect it really depends on the obnoxious people getting shouted down from their parapets by the masses and kicked out of the online spaces they inhabit too (just as happens in the real world). The problem, then, is ... how mature is the community harboring the behavior? For something like the official forums, there are moderators that police it. But, in-game, the same behaviors get expressed by the same kinds of people and it's much easier to get away with.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    It's best to leave the sewage in the sewer. Let's leave that other forums where they are. No need to drag the mud into here.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.