UMMS war in progress. Pls stop or ...

-=[DISF]=-Max-=[DISF]=-Max Posts: 251Player
I wanted to warn the developers of serious misconduct, aimed solely and exclusively at attacking DISF servers (servers where UMM maps are played). The guys yesterday tried to rent servers with new managers, after maximum 3 rounds continuous crashes, as happened for days to the classic Disf of gameserver. Now I wonder, the stupidity of these people, among other things known by many, .. just to have their server full? is this the way to behave in a community of a free game? I hope that serious measures are taken, is not the simple ddos attack, but a real attack on DISF servers by known exuberant players / creators.

Comments

• -=[DISF]=-Max-=[DISF]=-Max Posts: 251Player
    also now, someone put a spambot on all servers ip adresses.... stop guys pls .... DEVSSSSS !!!!
  • I'm sorry to hear this, i've contacted @Freeziepop if devs can help on this bummer. DISF was actually the server that made me think about making maps again (i've tried before, with the old pc, but it was just not running), and it was nice playing with people on there, you could see the community was good. I hope this can come to an end, people need custom maps server more than ever right now!
    I can't imagine why people would do this, it's so childish
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 161Player
    Max

I'm having a problem understanding who you are blaming. For the record, the developers have no influence on your server, which is controlled by you and your selected service provider. It is not your place to “warn” anyone, as you agreed to the terms of service when you downloaded the game and therefore are bound by the terms and conditions.

If your servers are being attacked, then again, the game itself is not to blame, but rather the way that the service provider handles flood events. Denial of Service attacks are generally performed by flooding your server's IP address with UDP and/or TCP packets. The server generally responds to the packets with an acknowledgement, at which point the attackers ignore the request, which in turn saturates the NIC of your server. This results in an inability to either enter the server or login via a terminal. Distributed denial’s (DDOS) are even more effective at flooding.

As for the specific attack on the DISF server, I hate to say it, but that’s your problem, not the developers, as network mitigation techniques are not part of the game.

OICURMT!
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • -=[DISF]=-Max-=[DISF]=-Max Posts: 251Player
    Sorry, after the attack of 5 consecutive servers, I got very angry, we thought about the revenge of someone banned. It was almost a month that the guys couldn't keep a server up for more than 5 minutes and the managers were the same as other perfectly working servers. We felt powerless and targeted... then I wrote hot, without giving oxygen to the brain, I apologize. let's close here.
  • It also Happened on [The-Fallen] server cant run server with the name in it anymore or use the clan tags. Eveyone just blames everyone instead of getting together to stop the attacks. :(
  • ^MAROFEL.ANDR!C0-TTV^^MAROFEL.ANDR!C0-TTV^ Posts: 854Player
    OICURMT! wrote: »
    As for the specific attack on the DISF server, I hate to say it, but that’s your problem, not the developers, as network mitigation techniques are not part of the game.

No it's definitely the developers problems. Hate to brake it to you but an exploit within the game is literally being used to amplify ddos attacks and crash game servers or drop players offline. It's a known issue that has been reported in 2018 but ignored by the Devs / AGS and DoD.

Now I've brought it back up with freezie a week ago, and she said she send it to the devs. So lets hope this time something is actually being done about it instead of being ignored again.
    edited January 8
    OICURMT! wrote: »

No it's definitely the developers problems. Hate to brake it to you but an exploit within the game is literally being used to amplify ddos attacks and crash game servers or drop players offline. It's a known issue that has been reported in 2018 but ignored by the Devs / AGS and DoD.

Now I've brought it back up with freezie a week ago, and she said she send it to the devs. So lets hope this time something is actually being done about it instead of being ignored again.

You are talking about something different. DOS isn't against a game, it's against an interface. All DDOS's rely on obfuscating either a stateless connection (UDP) or a stateful connection (TCP). When a computer does not reply to a packets where a return request is made, then the transport layer of the OS starts to bind up.

It is NOT a developers problem, as the game uses UE3, which in turn uses the SDK supplied for interfacing at the transport layer just above the kernel.

Again, it's UE3, not the game.

In UE4, there is now an DDOS detector in the NetCore module, however, I don't remember seeing this in UE3.

If there is one in UE3, then maybe we could have a conversation with the Dev's regarding implementing it (depending on how complex coding would be).

--

I just realized that "our" logic still has flaws... even if the game server had a method of recognizing and controlling DDOS attacks, the underlying operating system would still bog down as the NIC buffer fills with unanswered requests... most cloud services handle it via redirection and throttling, which would be ideal for a game server that relies on low latency and TWT.
    --

• ^MAROFEL.ANDR!C0-TTV^^MAROFEL.ANDR!C0-TTV^ Posts: 854Player
    edited January 8
    Yes blame shift it on the engine, and praise the developers as holy gods right. Doesn't take away the fact they are using the game servers (yes even the official ones) to drop players and servers offline. Also, UE3 does use flood protection which is why it's so easy to block access to the game server that is being targeted.

USA clan destroyed because of it, not a single member could connect.
    The Fallen clan destroyed because of it, not a single member could connect.
    Me personally being attacked again after banning a cheater, can't connect.
    One of the mods was also being attacked the same way, not sure if he still is.

But yes, not the developers problem that a lot of people cannot connect to their game.
    edited January 8
    Andrico, relax. I never praised the developers, I'm just stating facts. Everyone is aware that the game isn't perfect and never will be. It's an old game using old technology.

As for flood protection, if a machine is attacked, the machine still has to handle it regardless of what is running on it. It does not matter if a server is running or not (i.e. attacks are network specific regardless of what is running on the machine).

I have my own suspicions on what is happening to USA, but that's my opinion and mine alone.

Everyone has a right to their own views, I have mine.
    OIC!

P.S. Can you direct me to the UE3 documentation regarding DDOS detection and protection? I can't seem to find it.
    --