Windows 11 and AAPG future

|rebel||rebel| Posts: 18Player
edited July 3 in General Discussion
Hi. I was wondering if with the arrival of Windows 11, that will lead to the obsolescence of many computers, the Dev's are not thinking of bringing American army to Linux, how was the aa2. It would be a great option for those like me who have a computer not compatible with Window 11. Currently I am still playing decently with an AMD Phenom II B55 and a GTX760 and I know that when the AA5 comes out I will have to buy a new CPU, MB, VGA etc ... Which I will do. What I do not like is the obligation to have the TPM platform implemented.

Comments

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    The lack of Linux port for AAPG was an issue especially on the server side. Eventually they got Linux support for servers, but even then it didn't support custom maps. If there ever is an AA5, Linux support would be a fantastic addition especially if we see Linux usage spike with Windows 11. Personally, I'd love to get off the Windows platform if not for game support.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 580Player
    If you are on linux, have you tried steam's linux compatibility option?
    From protondb entry for AAPG :
    Abolutely no crashes if Wine D3D is used. Startup option "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%"
    Standard Proton 5.0.9
    https://www.protondb.com/app/203290
  • |rebel||rebel| Posts: 18Player
    If you are on linux, have you tried steam's linux compatibility option?
    From protondb entry for AAPG :
    Abolutely no crashes if Wine D3D is used. Startup option "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%"
    Standard Proton 5.0.9
    https://www.protondb.com/app/203290

Thanks for the info. When I have time I will test it on my Linux, Debian and Arch, even if it is to be tested. But I'm still hopeful that developers will think of AA natively.
  • LeMaestroLeMaestro Posts: 26Player
    |rebel| wrote: »
    Hi. I was wondering if with the arrival of Windows 11, that will lead to the obsolescence of many computers, the Dev's are not thinking of bringing American army to Linux, how was the aa2. It would be a great option for those like me who have a computer not compatible with Window 11. Currently I am still playing decently with an AMD Phenom II B55 and a GTX760 and I know that when the AA5 comes out I will have to buy a new CPU, MB, VGA etc ... Which I will do. What I do not like is the obligation to have the TPM platform implemented.

Peoples are worried for nothing with Windows 11, has it will run on the same hardware as Win 10, and bring the benefice of DX12 to the games developers, Unreal 4 and 5 will take full advantage of Dx12 and make the game run better on the right hardware.
    Has far as TPM is concerned it is just a switch in the bios that help protect your system against malicious operations, better security is not to be neglected today.
    I would love to see a modern remake of AA2, implemented the same way AA started back in 2002, with mandatory training and a few well made map to start and then new content added regularly to keep the players coming back and make for a strong base.
    This would surely bring me back to the game that made me love playing on line.
    Anyway if you want to play on line today most modern title you need good hardware to keep up with the good players.
    The lack of Linux port for AAPG was an issue especially on the server side. Eventually they got Linux support for servers, but even then it didn't support custom maps. If there ever is an AA5, Linux support would be a fantastic addition especially if we see Linux usage spike with Windows 11. Personally, I'd love to get off the Windows platform if not for game support.

I don't think that the amount of Devs working on AA will permit them to support other platforms, unless they implant Vulcan in the game, that even for Windows it would help to support a lot more hardware, because developing the game for other platform (Linus, Mac) would require diverting resources needed to develop the game. Windows is the most used OS in the world and I don't think that will change soon.
  • [soldier][soldier] Posts: 171Player
    edited July 17
    LeMaestro wrote: »
    I don't think that the amount of Devs working on AA will permit them to support other platforms, unless they implant Vulcan in the game, that even for Windows it would help to support a lot more hardware, because developing the game for other platform (Linus, Mac) would require diverting resources needed to develop the game. Windows is the most used OS in the world and I don't think that will change soon.

If the game has to be limited to one platform then it makes more sense for them to develop the new game for consoles (PS4) because there are 10x more matches played per day on consoles than there are on PCs. That is where the majority of the player base is now.

[soldier] wrote: »

If the game has to be limited to one platform then it makes more sense for them to develop the new game for consoles (PS4) because there are 10x more matches played per day on consoles than there are on PCs. That is where the majority of the player base is now.

This game has always been developed on PC first since they the Army use the engine to make simulation in training soldiers.
    And if they ever build a new game I am pretty sure they will build it on next gen hardware with PC first and then porting it to console like they did for Proving Ground. Has for PS4 it will become less relevant in the months to come has the new hardware and next gen console become more available.
    The time to build a new game is very long for a big Dev team and since AA had always a small team working on it unless they already started working on it for many months we will not see a new game in the near future.
    Lets hope that the next update coming can spark a new life in the game if it is well done.
    I know that there is a lot of AA2 veterans that would love to see this game come back with a modern feel and look but play like it was originally done has the best Army sim there was.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 733Player
    [soldier] wrote: »

Gotta figure out a way to make it cross-platform. It would feel like a gigantic middle finger to the only thing that's kept this franchise alive - loyal PC players.
  • [soldier][soldier] Posts: 171Player
    edited July 20
    doogle! wrote: »
    Gotta figure out a way to make it cross-platform.
    That would be the ideal situation for the players.

doogle! wrote: »
    It would feel like a gigantic middle finger to the only thing that's kept this franchise alive - loyal PC players.
    I doubt they would actually drop the PC version.