Black texture

Hello there again,

I have been working on a map. I am happy with the ground relief I have made, but when I try to add a material it turns black.
Must be something I am doing wrong with the material, because I have added a pre-existing one without any problems.
Additionally it doesn't seem to save the material I have made, when I restart it to continue.
Any ideas?

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Are you using the terrain tool? if so, don't use that option as its buggy with the game (use the landscape editor instead). Some UMM's I have played in the past that used terrain in their map, would act all funky ingame, sometimes looking like your swimming in sea, teraain popping and all manner of abnormalities, its hard to explain :lol:

Unfortunately since I was having the same issues as you were with the landscape window itself, I aint really dabbled to much with the landscape editor and have myself being using stock materials for the most part, however if your making a new material and applying it to a landscape.. make sure to save that custom material in your map file.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Also, is this a custom material? and ...what are your lighting settings and did you rebuild lighting after?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    edited July 2015
    watch this ,
    you have to set up layers,terrain cords and weights

• GoodvibeGoodvibe Posts: 94Player
    Hello there,

I am talking about the landscape editor here, not the terrain editor (I know this is (going to become) obsolete).
    The material is build up out of three textures (I actually used the youtube video, that's mentioned).
    The scene was rebuild and with both a big light (dominant directional light) and a few extra point lights.
    So far still to no avail. I can actually paint the individual textures on by hand via the landscape mode, but besides it being a tedious job, it doesn't quite look as good as I can't seem to set a repeat value for the texture as with coords. In the youtube the guy has the same issue, but I have seen multiple other movies, where they don't have this issue. Any more thoughts? if not I'll try the udk forum itself.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,155Beta Tester
    Actually bud, that video is the landscape editor and not the terrain editor.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    if i understand right you just want to make a material and appy it to your ,"terrain" (landscape) like you would on a static mesh ?
  • DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 126Moderator
    Scroll down to landscapes..
    I think your probs is not using MICs...
    Also check your compression settings when importing..

http://deltathund3r.weebly.com/tutorials.html
  • GoodvibeGoodvibe Posts: 94Player
    I am going to give that a go, I'll get back to you all, once I know more.
    Thanks for the response!