Merging PS4 and PC platform

[canaglia]kaledo[canaglia]kaledo Posts: 11Player
edited October 6 in General Discussion
Why hasn't anyone thought of merging the PC and PS4 platforms?

It would become a much more competitive game played by a greater number of players. Seeing half-empty servers clearly doesn't attract new players, and those who would like to play them get bored after a very short time.

I understand that the game is free and made available to anyone who wants, but you probably have no idea how many fans of the old AA2 there are in the world. Because the game deserves, only it must be relaunched in the best way.
Merging PS4 and PC platform
  1. Do you agree?7 votes
    1. Yes
      57.14%
    2. No
      42.86%
    3. I don't understand
        0.00%

Comments

• Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 317Player
    Alot of me wants to say yes, if it raises the player count, gets more people in the game and more people having fun in for it.

But, every game I have tried to play that is cross platform always has the autoaim problem to solve. Balancing the auto aim in console vs manual aim in PC is an art. And with consoles being able to emulate a controller, yet actually be kb/m input gives them essentially an undetectable aimbot.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,065Moderator
    Consols simply lack the power to run the bigger maps, let alone 12vs12 even on a smaller map.
    (fun at times to test the small consol maps on full size servers)
    And thers the aim assist the consol "need"(i know its debatable) to be even close to the mouse/keyboard combo.
    Like Carbon8 says, balancing that isn't easy, aim assist at "11" is like a aimbot, at "1" its like shooting fish in a barrel.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 363Player
    edited October 7
    frankof wrote: »
    Consols simply lack the power to run the bigger maps, let alone 12vs12 even on a smaller map.
    (fun at times to test the small consol maps on full size servers)
    And thers the aim assist the consol "need"(i know its debatable) to be even close to the mouse/keyboard combo.
    Like Carbon8 says, balancing that isn't easy, aim assist at "11" is like a aimbot, at "1" its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Umm... I'm pretty sure if consoles can handle games like GTA or Modern Warfare, they have the power to run those big maps on PC. No way are the maps on PC that big.

I also don't really see how the higher player count could affect how they run either.
    4-yr ROTC Scholarship Recipient

P0asKE2.jpg
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 363Player
    Why hasn't anyone thought of merging the PC and PS4 platforms?

It would become a much more competitive game played by a greater number of players. Seeing half-empty servers clearly doesn't attract new players, and those who would like to play them get bored after a very short time.

I understand that the game is free and made available to anyone who wants, but you probably have no idea how many fans of the old AA2 there are in the world. Because the game deserves, only it must be relaunched in the best way.

I agree that a merge with PC would be nice, and might spice things up.

Of course, there'd have to be some balancing here and there if that were to happen. I think there are moves and certain combos that really can only be done on PC -- PS4 may have some advantages too, but, none that I know of. For both cases, these would have to be nerfed, so that the platform your on offers only an infinitesimal advantage, if any.

Personally, I just want new maps for the game. New stuff in general, I wouldn't mind playing some of those PC maps on PS4.
    4-yr ROTC Scholarship Recipient

P0asKE2.jpg
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 602Beta Tester
    edited October 7
    There are more differences between PC and PS4 than you'd think...

I remember PS4 players complaining about the SCAR being able to kill with a single headshot. Well, on PC even the M9 pistol can do that at any range. So based on this, the PC and PS4 damage models do not match.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,065Moderator
    Umm... I'm pretty sure if consoles can handle games like GTA or Modern Warfare, they have the power to run those big maps on PC. No way are the maps on PC that big.

I also don't really see how the higher player count could affect how they run either.
    They are, some of the 12vs12 maps are relatively big and outdoor, try it on PC sometime.
    More players mean more info, more visuals etc.
    As for consoles capable of running games, its not due of good hardware but rather the cleverness of the devs to apply "dirty" trix, like using dynamic resolution to maintain 60FPS where thats important

ss_4_frankof.png
  • ~Gorilla~~Gorilla~ Posts: 768Administrator
    Not including the huge disadvantages and advantages between the 2 layouts. aim assist, mission editor, workshop are just a few. This has been mentioned before. It will not be done for aapg.
  • [!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian[!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian Posts: 812Player
    This would never work regardless if it was possible, just look at how bad of a time console players have when they face pc players on MW. The only thing that did was increase the rage meter.