The soldier name entered is unavailable

Every time I attempt to change soldier name at the AA website, I recieve the error "The soldier name entered is unavailable." Regardless of what the name is. Absolutely positive no one has the name I attempt to change to. I attempted using different browsers to see if that was an issue.

Comments

• We have new clan members as well that can not enter a clan tag becasue of this error. .
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 346Beta Tester
    Has anyone reported this yet? https://www.americasarmy.com/support/bug
    015c0ab623b454cffe80c9c007fbb62f21aeac80.jpg
  • I got a response from a support ticket. It appears it's the "{}" in our clan tags.
  • -]H[-Feertti-]H[-Feertti Posts: 10Player
    I got a response from a support ticket. It appears it's the "{}" in our clan tags.

can't believe this, does it mean that no more special characters in game name?
  • m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 652Moderator
    It's likely to exclude any special characters not considered database safe. Many of those characters represent special commands for the database. We've had instances before where characters were "allowed", but they rendered the soldier unusable because the login couldn't handle the request without errors. We've had others where the special names wouldn't allow data to be saved.

In some cases it may only be the starting or ending character that has special significance.

for example, ' is end of statement in SQL, yielding unpredictable results

There are ways to include them, but those methods can create security flaws.