Falling through the terrain

I have a helicopter that can be shot down, ive tried it as a mover and a kactor, when it takes damage it eventually gets destroyed. i use the destroy in kismet , it removes the heli but If a player is in it , they die instantly, was wanting them to fall to the ground.

So then i tried in kismet setting the heli physics to falling which workd great until it reaches the ground wherupon it travels straight through and leaves the player on the surface.

I have tried changing collision , but nothing i do seems to stop the heli falling through the floor.

Any ideas

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    I used static meshes as InterpActors to Matinee around the map. Don't know if you can conditionally drop them out of the sky on TakeDamage (so, a state change), but the reason I used them is because they retain collision.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,033Player
    edited August 16
    so i get this . the take damage changes the state of the movable interpActor. ...so what if another change of state is added as it touches the landscape or terrain .. would that be possible even ?
    I'd:

1) Kill the player at the time the heli is shot as opposed to when it hits the ground

2) Make it an unrevivable death so there's no body

3) Prepare a Flying matinee and a Crashing matinee and toggle them

4) Use the coordinates of the in-flight explosion as the start of the Crashing matinee (where to place the second 'crashing' heli in space for the crash sequence...)

5) Explore how to create charred rubble at point of impact (It's easy to attach flames and smoke to the crashing heli...NOT so easy to attach those and decals to the ground at impact)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 640Player
    there's a setting cant remember zero kill or something ,its set to stop players falling for ever ,maybe try seeing how fall the heli falls and try seeing if setting the fall value to just under
    the lowest part of the map
  • 13Cav.Kendmac13Cav.Kendmac Posts: 61Player
    @Keebler750 - I have tried the static mesh option , i can get it to fall out of the sky by changing its physics , however then it goes through the terrain.

@={101st}=Muzza455 - I have tried detecting when it hits the ground, havent found a way yet. If the ground was all at one height i could get it by reading the Z coordinate and when that gets near the floor, replace the mesh. However the terrain has various heights so that doesn't work

@Keebler750 - How would you kill them, i can do it by causing damage on the mesh in a radial pattern , not sure how to make it unrevivable. I tried creating a crashing matinee, which works to a certain extent, however i have the same problem with regard to the floor , i have to make the fall long enough to crash onto the lowest terrain , but on the higher terrain , the mesh then dissappears through the floor, tried setting collision on every section i can but no joy. Hadnt even though of point 5 , given me something to think about there.

@(Beer_me)lobo - not to sure what you mean, however if i set it for lowest terrain, won't it ldissapear through the floor like i am currently experiencing.

Thanks for all the responses, has given me some ideas, at the moment i have set up a replica of the mesh off the side of the map, This mesh is set to Kactor. At the moment of explosion i move the kactor to the position of the mover mesh and then destroy the mover mesh this then falls to the ground without going through. This seemed to work last night on a test but for some reason i can't seem to get the kactor to move there tonight, maybe used the wrong kismet instruction, will keep trying
    Matinee is very powerful for cinematics. If some logic can be created to check ground intersection height, you have:

1) A flying helicopter;

2) A crashing helicopter animation that plays from the HeliTakeDamage point;

3) A big fireball near the ground in which the crashing heli disappears and,

4) Smoking helicopter wreckage appearing on the ground at the intersection of the ground and crash trajectory.

(I'm not saying that would be easy, but I bet it's possible!)
    ______

Also, Damage Type: Isn't there a choke or other damage type that makes a player unrevivable? If not, a normal death and some kismet shenanigans might work (like setting a player state in the code, or something?)
    ______

The biggest Heli Crash problem would be getting it to not crash into other meshes or geometry since that would be trickier to handle. Either way, you're asking a LOT of this little UE3 game. Again, I do think it's doable, but I doubt DeltaThunder is available for the challenge :p
    ______

• ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,033Player
    Kendmac has almost got this cracked . Hooah