Alternative ways to catch cheaters besides relying on players to report

PredictionPrediction Posts: 132Player
edited April 23 in General Discussion
Gorilla "I think you prematurely closed my last topic." I don't want this to turn into a name shame and I didn't name shame anyone in the last topic. I am just trying to find ways that the DEVs could better monitor the servers without relying on players.

Couple of quick reasons why relying on players is bad - You have to filter through a ton of cry wolf, false reports and I am sure by now plenty of real reports have been overlooked. Action response time is too slow for modern day.

The players are here to play a game, I did not sign up to report every little bug, cheat, or even record video to extra prove myself and then still see that player on weeks later. The system is broke and we need to discuss ways to improve the current system of relying on other players to report players in order to keep the game clean.

DEVs are the creator of the game and should want more than any player to keep the games clean and fun. It should be on them to find new ways to keep the game clean without relying on players. Until they find that new way, all i was asking in the interim is that they pro actively ghost spectate some of the official servers from time to time.

I have been playing AAPG for quite some time and I don't cry cheats just because a player is good. I know what I am looking at when I say obvious I mean it is players not even trying to hide it when they are toggled on.

I am asking that you leave this topic open so we can discuss ways to improve the lets ask players to report it system which takes time out of that players fun time to just relax and play the game to police a game DEVs don't even seem that interested in policing at the moment.

Gorilla wrote:
The Dev do know about the servers without PB as for their reason for this I am unaware however it has be noted

This is unacceptable telling me your aware of this and DEVs are aware of this does not answer the original question as to why there is no PB on the servers to start with.

Comments

• Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 321Beta Tester
    Prediction wrote: »
    < snip >
    Gorilla wrote:
    The Dev do know about the servers without PB as for their reason for this I am unaware however it has be noted

This is unacceptable telling me your aware of this and DEVs are aware of this does not answer the original question as to why there is no PB on the servers to start with.

What you or I or any other player find unacceptable is of little concern in the big picture. The Dev's have their own bosses to report to. There is a reason why a couple of servers are without PB at this time. Even if I knew I could not share it with you due to my NDA. Please continue to play and enjoy the game. Make bug reports and suggestions. The Dev's do as much as they can and are grateful for helpful input from all of us. Understandably they go deaf if people continually bring up the same issues over and over.
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
  • PredictionPrediction Posts: 132Player
    edited April 23
    Duke_Audi wrote: »
    < snip >
    Gorilla wrote:

What you or I or any other player find unacceptable is of little concern in the big picture. The Dev's have their own bosses to report to. There is a reason why a couple of servers are without PB at this time. Even if I knew I could not share it with you due to my NDA. Please continue to play and enjoy the game. Make bug reports and suggestions. The Dev's do as much as they can and are grateful for helpful input from all of us. Understandably they go deaf if people continually bring up the same issues over and over.

No Disrespect to you Duke and I do enjoy the game but it is a lot easier to enjoy without the obvious couple of hackers that have been playing lately.

Also if you remember, one of the hackers I brought to your attention and just because they toggled it off for 1 match you deemed them a clean player.

I would be curious as to why DEVs or Beta Testers telling us the reason why PB is not on the official servers would break NDA? Seems like very superficial information, for example, the screenshots cause lag or it crashes the server or if we enable that our DEVs won't be able to play because they are all banned by PB.

Also I am aware the DEVs do as much as they can but sometimes even that is not good enough. The point of this topic is to shed light on the fact the reporting system in its current state is broken and not efficient. Forums are meant for feed back but anytime someone seems to point out where things can be improved in a forum they are pretty much being told to deal with it and learn to love it.

Why even have a forum?

What happen to the days where people acknowledged when things could be improved and we discussed it then implemented it. If they are making an AA5 then what better time to practice newer improved methods of catching cheaters than on a dying\dead AAPG.

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 507Beta Tester
    Duke_Audi wrote: »
    < snip >
    Gorilla wrote:

I would be curious as to why DEVs or Beta Testers telling us the reason why PB is not on the official servers would break NDA? Seems like very superficial information, for example, the screenshots cause lag or it crashes the server or if we enable that our DEVs won't be able to play because they are all banned by PB.

Well, our NDA is quite strict. Basically anything we hear behind closed doors, shall remain behind said closed doors. Even if it would be some completely negligible detail, we are not allowed to talk about it.

You could say this level of secrecy is not reasonable. Heck, I might agree with you - sometimes it is simply annoying not being able to say anything, sometimes my blood nearly boils. But this is what I (and every other Beta) signed, because I had to sign it to become a Beta. So I will keep to it even if it gets on my nerves sometimes.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 677Administrator
    edited April 24
    I am sorry if you were not happy about me closing the subject but I felt what was covered had been answered.

1) If you make a report a Dev or Official Server Admin will respond and sit in on the server to watch the player that has been reported and the server. This is why giving as many details is important. The more you know and have for us the more they know.

2) Naming and Shaming, I know you were not picking anyone out. I closed the topic seeing it as a potential issue in the future. Better safe then sorry in some cases. Especially since the topic is a border line discussion about hack/ hackers, cheats/ cheaters and so forth.

3) PB. My NDA does not allow me to give you or anyone else information on why there is no PB on a few servers. If a Dev permits it or decides that they are willing to tell you the reason for why there are a couple servers without this then it will be added to inform you.

4) The forums is great for having discussion on the topics related to the thread. Many players have issues with the game and can find help here. Its open to most things as long as it does not go against the Forum Rules or got to close to something that we don't want discussed for obvious reasons. Also something to keep in mind that if anyone askes questions to the Devs or Beta don't expect answers back to everything. There are just some things that are to be left unsaid. Its not because we don't want to talk about it or inform you or anyone else. But as simple as it is NDA.

I hope this better answers your questions. As well as there is no punt against you with closing a thread but if this does go in a direction where we think it might go then is will be closed and more consequences can come of it.

• RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 186Player
    The best anti cheat is an active admin presence.
    There I said it... I feel dirty now...
    35d2uec.png
  • Lone_GunmanLone_Gunman Posts: 47Player
    My man don't play official servers, your wasting your time and getting upset for nothing because no matter the point you make, they will not change how official servers are ran and managed.

What you have to do is find yourself some private servers that have active administrators during the time you play. That's the only way your going to get the active oversite you are requesting.
  • SiNsOfThEDeViLSiNsOfThEDeViL Posts: 106Player
    Maybe let the Beta Testers and experienced players view the report. Like in CS, watch the suspect and determine if they are cheating or not. Just my suggestion. As some decent players have been banned for just being good, while some cheaters that can hide it well still play. That's why I think we should view the cases before just banning the players.

Whatever you do, you cannot outrun the devil.

Steam
    Maybe let the Beta Testers and experienced players view the report. Like in CS, watch the suspect and determine if they are cheating or not. Just my suggestion. As some decent players have been banned for just being good, while some cheaters that can hide it well still play. That's why I think we should view the cases before just banning the players.

I would say this would be a good idea depending on the level of experience the beta testers have. I have seen some beta testers that have no game awareness or game skill so how could they possible understand what is actually possible of a good player to be that good?

At one point they had a few players that were ghost admin around policing the servers. I am not sure what happen with that but maybe they stripped that power from those players because they were abusing it but it would be nice to get some reputable players that are not ban happy to police the servers only for obvious hacks that can be easily seen with video proof.

Also by the way 3 very obvious hackers on tonight. Thankfully tonight other players seen it too and we were able to vote kick 2 of them but we are not always that lucky. Does anyone with power even care about keeping this game clean any longer?

• Veteran_Disabled_11BVeteran_Disabled_11B Posts: 2Player
    edited April 27
    You did your duty Prediction.
    You are a brave sole Veteran.
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 677Administrator
    For the last time. The Proper way to get what you are looking for is to post a abuse report. There are admins on that will look into your reports. Thank you :D
  • What gives you the right to come into a public server that my tax dollars pay for and start making accusations and start vote kicks? Are you affiliated with AA, Are you a game developer? Do you have any certification to be a cheat analyses ? What's it say across from your name "Player" Nobody said anything to me all morning long as soon as you join oh I "think" he's cheating you tell everybody on server, Most of them say who's cheating? because I'm 8 kills and 5 deaths. I rejoined server and everybody says cheater is back and get kicked again, so I changed my name and rejoined and played on your team for an hour till you left and again nobody said anything again to me till I stopped playing a few hours later. Your harassment has to stop. I play on my server called "10th Mountain" with punkbuster enabled and yes I am a brave sole I do have a bronze star for my actions in Iraq.
    For the last time. The Proper way to get what you are looking for is to post a abuse report. There are admins on that will look into your reports. Thank you :D

Agreed and you can close this post. I see what you are talking about now. Also we did file the abuse report already. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.