Buying a HEADSET. Opinions plz

LIL-GHOSTLIL-GHOST Posts: 35Player
edited January 9 in PS4
I am sure this question has been tossed around for years. However I'm getting ready to make a purchase. And it's 2019 so I want some updated opinions lol. I was originally looking to get the PS4 Platinums. Now I am leaning towards the Kingston hyperx revolver S.

THINGS TO CONSIDER
-My price range is < or = $200
-Positional accuracy > "big boom sounds cool". I want to hear a pin pulled two blocks away on my left lol.
-I don't want something that is going to break in two weeks.
-Wired via controller, or USB, or wireless NONE matter to me. I'm looking for quality sound & positioning
-MIC shouldn't sound like garbage when I speak.
-I don't care about music.
-I only play AA on PS4
-I need to be able to control chat and game volume separately, or at least have a control for balance between the two.
Any advice please would be helpful.

Comments

• SAKEWCWSAKEWCW Posts: 14Player
    I recommend you the Sony Platinum Wireless are what i have since near 2 years and are very good,they are virtual 7.1 and 3D audio.They have a excelent sound in AA i can hear the enemies footsteps from the distance,I can know the exact position,if they are above me or below,they have good bass sound "in my opinion" besides you have a app in ps4 for program diferent audio profiles in them according at your taste.The micro,sound good they have 2 mics with noise cancelling.They have 2 buttons to the audio balance one is named "SOUND" and is for give priority to the game auidio,and other "CHAT" which is for give priority to the chat sound "party or voice chat in the game".The battery life is near 8 hours and also you can use them while they are charging.You can also use them with wireless mode in PC and PS3 for the rest they bring a jack 3,5 cable in the box.Definitely I recommend you that,I don't recommend you any headsets which is conected to DUALSHOCK 4 because the sound which transmit through the DUALSHOCK 4 is prety mediocre in my opinion and you will miss volume
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 631Player
    SAKEWCW wrote: »
    I recommend you the Sony Platinum Wireless are what i have since near 2 years and are very good,they are virtual 7.1 and 3D audio.They have a excelent sound in AA i can hear the enemies footsteps from the distance,I can know the exact position,if they are above me or below,they have good bass sound "in my opinion" besides you have a app in ps4 for program diferent audio profiles in them according at your taste.The micro,sound good they have 2 mics with noise cancelling.They have 2 buttons to the audio balance one is named "SOUND" and is for give priority to the game auidio,and other "CHAT" which is for give priority to the chat sound "party or voice chat in the game".The battery life is near 8 hours and also you can use them while they are charging.You can also use them with wireless mode in PC and PS3 for the rest they bring a jack 3,5 cable in the box.Definitely I recommend you that,I don't recommend you any headsets which is conected to DUALSHOCK 4 because the sound which transmit through the DUALSHOCK 4 is prety mediocre in my opinion and you will miss volume

I crossed out the false claim. You're welcome.

False claim? Why? This is not false, I talk about my experience with the Platinum headsets and yes i can know if an enemy is up or down, example in AA on Hospital when the enemies are in first floor in the corridor and me i am below i can distinguish the sound.

False claim? Why? This is not false, I talk about my experience with the Platinum headsets and yes i can know if an enemy is up or down, example in AA on Hospital when the enemies are in first floor in the corridor and me i am below i can distinguish the sound.

Your post implies you can hear a directional up and down; a z-axis.
  • LIL-GHOSTLIL-GHOST Posts: 35Player
    I was originally looking @the kingston hyperx cloud 2 or the hyperx cloud revolver. But I have since learned that there is no audio mixer on them, or even separate controls for chat & game volumes. Some people have recommended turtle Beach, but I think I'm leaning towards the Sony Platinums.

I know this sounds dumb comparing PS3 equipment to PS4 but I wonder how the tech specs differ from the old PS3 wireless stereo headset to the new PS4 Platinums because when reading the features they come with its like exactly the same. And that PS3 headset is like 10 years old lol but it works on ps4. They both come with 7.1 surround, they're both noise cancelling, and both have circumaural earcups.

Ultimately I think the Platinums are my next purchase
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 304Player
    edited January 14

That's amazing if you can, cause when people are right underneath me it sounds the same as if they were right besides me. I can't imagine how many times I've died cause I was tempted to look in the wrong direction.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
    Yeah, personally it's impossible for me to distinguish elevation. If they're right on top of me or right below me it sounds like they're right next to me in the same room lol
    The only way to do it would be if the sounds of footsteps are different. Is one walking on carpet and the other on wood? If the floor you're on and the floor above are the same material, people walking about you will sound the same as people walking next to you. The game has no Z-axis.
    LIL-GHOST wrote: »
    I was originally looking @the kingston hyperx cloud 2 or the hyperx cloud revolver. But I have since learned that there is no audio mixer on them, or even separate controls for chat & game volumes. Some people have recommended turtle Beach, but I think I'm leaning towards the Sony Platinums.

I know this sounds dumb comparing PS3 equipment to PS4 but I wonder how the tech specs differ from the old PS3 wireless stereo headset to the new PS4 Platinums because when reading the features they come with its like exactly the same. And that PS3 headset is like 10 years old lol but it works on ps4. They both come with 7.1 surround, they're both noise cancelling, and both have circumaural earcups.

Well,yes the specs are similar but not equal,the Platinum have 50 millimeters drivers vs 40 millimeters which use the Gold or the old Pulse Elite,and they have besides 7.1 surround the Platinum also they have 3D Audio,but very few games use that technology,Battlefield V have it and Uncharted 4 but I don't know more.Also the Platinum have double mic with noise cancelling,is not the best mic sound in the world but is good,I have also Cougar Phontum which I use for the pc,and the mic sound is terrible in comparison with the Platinum.The hyperx cloud 2 or revolver are good to PC but in Ps4 connected into the Dualshock 4 controller is a waste of money in my opinion,the sound quality which transmit through the Dualshock is pretty poor, you will not exploit the quality of those headsets + you will need a DAC "a sound amplifier" because by default the Dualshock do not have enough power "Ohm" to feed those headset = the volume will be a little low.The Turtle beach stealth 600 "Which use the popular streamer Dr,Disrecpect" they i have learned that they have good sound equivalent to the Sony Gold "no so good like the Platinum" the price also is similar to the Gold between 80-100 dollars ,and also i think they have buttons for balance the audio from the chat and the game.The good thing about them i have learned is they have like 15 hours battery life agains 7-8 hours from the Gold and 10 hours from the Platinum "anyway you can charge them while you are playing" ,but i do not have a objective opinion about the Turtle beach because i have not test them,only i have check a review and comparation in YT. After all this speech,Go for the Platinum they are 150 dollars but they are worth it.

That's amazing if you can, cause when people are right underneath me it sounds the same as if they were right besides me. I can't imagine how many times I've died cause I was tempted to look in the wrong direction.

Strange,me i can ditinguish it,example in the map Intercept when we have to deffend in the left place where have 3 floors i can know when the enemies come from the basement,or they are above me
  • L.LovettL.Lovett Posts: 64Player
    think it is strange that you can know where they are when it slams and slides right and left in the game but when they are close and they do not shoot or throw a hand grenade then you can locate the sound from footsteps you do not have to buy the best headphones just for to hear them

8 Year in service
    400 XP
    Unlocked Apr 17, 2015 @ 19:39
    Member since April 17, 2007.

Well,yes the specs are similar but not equal,the Platinum have 50 millimeters drivers vs 40 millimeters which use the Gold or the old Pulse Elite,and they have besides 7.1 surround the Platinum also they have 3D Audio,but very few games use that technology,Battlefield V have it and Uncharted 4 but I don't know more.Also the Platinum have double mic with noise cancelling,is not the best mic sound in the world but is good,I have also Cougar Phontum which I use for the pc,and the mic sound is terrible in comparison with the Platinum.The hyperx cloud 2 or revolver are good to PC but in Ps4 connected into the Dualshock 4 controller is a waste of money in my opinion,the sound quality which transmit through the Dualshock is pretty poor, you will not exploit the quality of those headsets + you will need a DAC "a sound amplifier" because by default the Dualshock do not have enough power "Ohm" to feed those headset = the volume will be a little low.The Turtle beach stealth 600 "Which use the popular streamer Dr,Disrecpect" they i have learned that they have good sound equivalent to the Sony Gold "no so good like the Platinum" the price also is similar to the Gold between 80-100 dollars ,and also i think they have buttons for balance the audio from the chat and the game.The good thing about them i have learned is they have like 15 hours battery life agains 7-8 hours from the Gold and 10 hours from the Platinum "anyway you can charge them while you are playing" ,but i do not have a objective opinion about the Turtle beach because i have not test them,only i have check a review and comparation in YT. After all this speech,Go for the Platinum they are 150 dollars but they are worth it.

You are the best man. I could not find detailed information about those two headsets other than the "features." You've helped me out a ton.

Strange,me i can ditinguish it,example in the map Intercept when we have to deffend in the left place where have 3 floors i can know when the enemies come from the basement,or they are above me

I can distinguish elevation if I put information together. For instance the material they're walking on or even a slight volume increase on the left or right; both of those in combination with map memorization make it so that it's not a big issue. But there are very specific scenarios where someone above you sounds exactly the same as someone below or even right next to you. All of this is because of what @hey.i.have.a.gun already pointed out, there is no third axis for sound positioning.

You are the best man. I could not find detailed information about those two headsets other than the "features." You've helped me out a ton.

Thank you,I like help to the people in what i can,this make me feel satisfaction.

I can distinguish elevation if I put information together. For instance the material they're walking on or even a slight volume increase on the left or right; both of those in combination with map memorization make it so that it's not a big issue. But there are very specific scenarios where someone above you sounds exactly the same as someone below or even right next to you. All of this is because of what @hey.i.have.a.gun already pointed out, there is no third axis for sound positioning.

Should be that,because the material where the enemies walk and the fact in what i have memorized the maps.And for that i can intuit when i have enemies avobe or beneath me.