Question about Tactical Mode.

LIL-GHOSTLIL-GHOST Posts: 35Player
edited January 9 in General Discussion
I know there have been questions about tactical mode before. But I'm trying to figure out some specifics. I've been told that when tactical mode is activated. Your steps are quieter and your gun is steadier. But I was told by someone the other day that there is another aspect to tactical mode. Apparently while in tactical mode, there is an audible *radio crackle* sound that is made when enemies are nearing your position. On top of that the *crackle sound* goes off for each enemy... Can anyone verify this? I do not have a great headset and I've looked online I cannot find any detailed information on all of the mechanics of tactical mode and how it works.

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,562Beta Tester
    I've never heard of a 'radio crackle' ever.

Tactical mode DOES cancel your grenade throw callouts though! :+1:
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • LIL-GHOSTLIL-GHOST Posts: 35Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »

That's so cool! I like the fact that I'm still learning little things I didn't know about this game. There are so many little details that the game never explains, so unless you pickup on it or someone else tells you, you would have no idea lol.
  • LIL-GHOSTLIL-GHOST Posts: 35Player

Maybe I'm describing it wrong, is there any audible warning at all that you get while in tactical mode?
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 637Player
    edited January 9

Cook the grenade right and that doesn't matter. ;)
    LIL-GHOST wrote: »

Maybe I'm describing it wrong, is there any audible warning at all that you get while in tactical mode?

Not that I know of... :)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

Yeah, except for that grenade cook bug I keep getting where I cook it to perfection (mmmmmm....) and it still takes the full time to explode. :(

I'm dying to hammer out that repro, but have no idea how!! It seems totally random.

______

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,093Player

True, but the call out also gives away your position to other guys who may be around.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

True, but the call out also gives away your position to other guys who may be around.

True. Although in a lot of cases, they're going to have a pretty good idea based on the grenade you just threw anyway.

Yeah, except for that grenade cook bug I keep getting where I cook it to perfection (mmmmmm....) and it still takes the full time to explode. :(

I'm dying to hammer out that repro, but have no idea how!! It seems totally random.

I don't think I've ever had that happen to me.

This just happened the other day. I'm guessing he was "behind cover":

^^ I don't see what you're getting at there? Anyone up there could have gone several places by the time you got a nade up there.
    ______

• LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 313Player
    ^^ I don't see what you're getting at there? Anyone up there could have gone several places by the time you got a nade up there.

agreed
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg

agreed

Let's not be ridiculous here.

He didn't have time to go anywhere. He was standing in place firing until a tenth of a second before it went off, and he would have had to run past the grenade to get away from it. I'm assuming it's just an issue of line of sight somehow.

Br0kenArrow, when I talk about well-thrown grenades, this would be an example of a near-perfect grenade. It was cooked so he had no chance to get away.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 503Beta Tester

agreed

He didn't have time to go anywhere. He was standing in place firing until a tenth of a second before it went off, and he would have had to run past the grenade to get away from it. I'm assuming it's just an issue of line of sight somehow.

Br0kenArrow, when I talk about well-thrown grenades, this would be an example of a near-perfect grenade. It was cooked so he had no chance to get away.

I think your nade went too deep, probably behind an armchair. OFC it could have been a line-of-sight issue (some tiny geometry getting in the way). You need to cook more to make it airburst IMO.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited January 9

agreed

I'm not gonna go through the trouble of making screenshots and highlighting stuff because it's so incredibly easy to disprove Keebler750 and LWOF_BrOkenArrow, they should really just check their facts on their own. I'm gonna be nice and give some hints on how to do it though. Pause the video right after you hear the explosion, then use "," to navigate back frame by frame. Notice that the first frame that still has the enemy in the FOV is just a split second (just look at the timestamp, shows 9 seconds for both frames) from the explosion which is not enough time for the enemy to "have gone several places".

However what could have happened is the grenade simply going too high (I don't think it actually ever would've went inside but this could just be me not having played for a long time), this can not be proven by the video as the frame of the explosion is not in the FOV.

agreed

I think your nade went too deep, probably behind an armchair. OFC it could have been a line-of-sight issue (some tiny geometry getting in the way). You need to cook more to make it airburst IMO.

Yeah, that's what I think had to have happened. I released it early because I was trying not to get shot. It was roughly a second from throw to detonation.
    SSKnecabo wrote: »

agreed

I'm not gonna go through the trouble of making screenshots and highlighting stuff because it's so incredibly easy to disprove Keebler750 and LWOF_BrOkenArrow, they should really just check their facts on their own. I'm gonna be nice and give some hints on how to do it though. Pause the video right after you hear the explosion, then use "," to navigate back frame by frame. Notice that the first frame that still has the enemy in the FOV is just a split second (just look at the timestamp, shows 9 seconds for both frames) from the explosion which is not enough time for the enemy to "have gone several places".

However what could have happened is the grenade simply going too high (I don't think it actually ever would've went inside but this could just be me not having played for a long time), this can not be proven by the video as the frame of the explosion is not in the FOV.

Looking at it frame-by-frame, he actually stops firing about 0.1 seconds before it goes off. Certainly no time to move at all.

I think it went in and past him and blew up next to a chair or something. If it hadn't gone in, there wasn't enough time for it to fall away from him, in my opinion.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 321Beta Tester
    You have no idea where that grenade went as you moved to cover before it went off. You do not know if he took damage and if so how much. All you know is that it did not kill him.
    I've looked at your video and this image shows the last time I could see your nade. The very next instant your sight line moves below the window and as far as I know that grenade was still going up, outside of the window not inside.
    259f60795053921e279695565c34c19b-full.jpg

All he had to do was drop behind the chair in the corner. Whether it went off outside or inside he would have been protected from most of the blast.
    The one thing I've learned in this game is, nothing is as it appears.
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
    edited January 9
    Duke_Audi wrote: »
    You have no idea where that grenade went as you moved to cover before it went off. You do not know if he took damage and if so how much. All you know is that it did not kill him.
    I've looked at your video and this image shows the last time I could see your nade. The very next instant your sight line moves below the window and as far as I know that grenade was still going up, outside of the window not inside.
    259f60795053921e279695565c34c19b-full.jpg

All he had to do was drop behind the chair in the corner. Whether it went off outside or inside he would have been protected from most of the blast.
    The one thing I've learned in this game is, nothing is as it appears.

That screenshot doesn't demonstrate anything. If anything it's misleading.

I don't think there's any way based on my throw that it went off outside. I also don't think there was time for it to get behind anything inside. It went off a second after I threw it.

But yes, there's ultimately no way to say for sure.
    Well, I have an admission to make...I didn't see the enemy in my first view of that vid!!!! I was using the forum video sizing, and when I went to full screen I could see the player perched there. My bad!! :o

However, knowing what I do about grenade damage and how the game draws an LOS to the player, it's real easy to have stuff get in the way of a kill. I use dumb objects all the time in my hunt to avoid damage!! :naughty:
    ______

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,093Player
    In the end it's inconclusive. The grenade could have landed on a chair, went too far behind him, just blew up too far away and only hurt him, or maybe it was bugged. Honestly, I've rarely seen a bugged frag in this game. We know that all it takes is for a small item to block the grenade's path to your body and you don't get hurt.

Of all the problems that the game has, a frag being bugged every once in a while is the least of its worries. Unfortunately we have no definitive proof that there was an issue here anyway.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!