What is wrong in AAPG?

phil.svphil.sv Posts: 21Player
edited December 2018 in General Discussion
I have Counter-Strike:Source, Arma 3 and AAPG and I definitively find AAPG the best game: good graphics, no bugs, few cheaters.
But if I take a look at current players on GameTrackers I see:
1) CS 1.6................. 228.580 players
2) CS:Source...... 10.966 players
3) Arma 3............ 8.995 players
4) AAPG............... 354 players !!!! 354 in all the world at 23:00 CET!!

Maps are good, may be a bit little but enough for a 12vs12 FPS. EVIDENTLY there is something to revise in the AAPG gameplay!
And PLEASE don't say: AAPG is a simulator and so less amusant than other FPS, because Arma 3 is 6 times more simulator than AAPG and has 20 time players.
Behind Arma3 there is a little Czech software house... behind AAPG there is the biggest army of the world with a budget of 665 billion dollars... it's impossible that the game that represents the Army catches only few hundred of players in all the world.
IMHO. ;)

Comments

• |FOX|kozini.pl|FOX|kozini.pl Posts: 81Player
    edited December 2018
    They could port the old maps but it seems that they are happy the way it is...
  • phil.svphil.sv Posts: 21Player
    edited December 2018
    They could port the old maps but it seems that they are happy the way it is...

I regret the good old Pipeline... but I don't think is a MAPS problem, e.g. Hospital is really excellent. But few undreds of players in all the world (that's means few dozens in the USA) certainly indicate a problem.

It's incredible that the biggest and most expensive army in the world can not find a developer that can make the game more "engaging": graphics and maps are good, probably there's something wrong in the gameplay and in the reward system for those who play following a team game.

If the game is developed as a form of advertising ... it is clear that it is a flop: atm is money thrown away. The base is solid, but there is something to revise. Times change.

The dog bites its tail... few players ===> 2/3 servers always full + some others usually empty ===> Gamers reach another FPS with dozens of servers almost full but with some free place.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,546Beta Tester
    So, how much money have they spent on AAPG?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 713Player
    354 players in a 5 year old game, not bad, not bad at all.
    Though it would be more if we had mod support.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,089Player
    edited December 2018
    L0rdDamian wrote: »

I think there are plenty of 5 year old games that get better numbers. Even Half-Life Deathmatch from 1998 has about the same numbers. The game bombed at launch and was never able to recover. Even when v1.0 came out the numbers shot up to 2K average players for a month and then dropped off the next month. We've talked extensively about what could help this game. Of course it's impossible to say if any of that would work anyway, but it's worth a shot at this point.

You're never going to get mod support on an Army project. However, it would have been nice if custom maps had better support at least. There's a plethora of good maps out there, but the UMM system is awful. Servers that don't automatically update when map updates are published (leading to server crashes/version mismatches), players being forced to download every single map on a server before joining (which I've seen 8GB+), maps taking way longer to load than standard maps. All huge strikes against UMMs which could have really helped keep a larger portion the population around for longer rather than 75% inner hospital.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • phil.svphil.sv Posts: 21Player
    edited December 2018

Mate! CS 1.6 is 16 years old! 230.000 average players!!!

You say that CS is for fun boys while AAPG is for fewer serious gamers?

Arma 3 is 6 time more serious and simulator of AAPG (and difficult to learn): 5 years old like AAPG, NOT FREE.......... and 9.000 average players!!

So I repeat: evidently there is sometingh to change. No bugs, good graphics, decent maps... is some other.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,178Player
    edited December 2018
    I reckon if they'd have kept support for AA2 until now it'd probably have more concurrent players too. Even if it was just players who stuck around since it's early (fame) days.

I don't think there is much wrong with AAPG as a game. It's not perfect but it works, it's not a buggy mess and it can be fun to play. Quite why it never really took off is anybody's guess, my guess would be it's not born from a AAA Publisher/Title so never really had a chance to grace a massive audience and had nothing outside of it's niche fanbase to help spread the name/love.

As sad as I am about it since I'm not a console gamer, AAPG's release on PS4 showed that it CAN be a success. People are dubious of things given for free, no strings attached.. so for free what have they to lose in trying?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,089Player
    I think the stigma of free to play is starting to evaporate. Maybe back in 2013 it was a bit different, but Fortnite is the most popular game in the world. We also had PUBG which blew up and came from an unknown publisher. These things certainly exist. Even back in 1999 two guys created what ended up being the most popular FPS game to date. I know CS was a Half-Life mod, but it goes to show that many games can crop up from nowhere. There are also tons of AAA games that fail. It's hard to say what will make a game take off, but in FPS games the current trend outside of BR is for competitive shooters.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    phil.sv wrote: »

You say that CS is for fun boys while AAPG is for fewer serious gamers?

Did I say that? Don't think so, specially not since I dislike CS as much as I dislike my ex.
    phil.sv wrote: »
    evidently there is sometingh to change. No bugs, good graphics, decent maps... is some other.

Not going to happen, everything in this game is outdated. Game Engine, DirectX, GPU support. The only thing that is going to save their game series is coming with AAV on the latest UE version or different engine. They probably will not do a lot more on this game this year.

PS: Happy New Year lads.
  • Ix-M0NTANA-xIIx-M0NTANA-xI Posts: 98Player
    edited January 1
    On ps4.
    I'll tell you what I think is killing the game and why it wont get any better.

1. Lack of quality lobbies. There might be 3/16 that have any common sense and there might be 1 or 2 with a mic in the lobby. Forest gump syndrome everywhere. Zero teamwork. Zero communication. Too many low rank rookies get put in rooms with high rank people.

2. The developers dont play the game on ps4 so they dont really care what happens or what kind of experience players have.

3. Anyone with a rank of E-5 or lower should not be allowed in rooms with people of higher rank.

I could keep listing stuff but what's the point. Nothing will change.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 641Player
    Teach them, Montana.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 632Player
    On ps4.
    I'll tell you what I think is killing the game and why it wont get any better.

1. Lack of quality lobbies. There might be 3/16 that have any common sense and there might be 1 or 2 with a mic in the lobby. Forest gump syndrome everywhere. Zero teamwork. Zero communication. Too many low rank rookies get put in rooms with high rank people.

2. The developers dont play the game on ps4 so they dont really care what happens or what kind of experience players have.

3. Anyone with a rank of E-5 or lower should not be allowed in rooms with people of higher rank.

I could keep listing stuff but what's the point. Nothing will change.

Numbers one and three are basically the same.

Whether they actively play PS4 or not,
    number two is a baseless opinion.
    I could keep listing stuff but what's the point. Nothing will change

Nor will you by the looks of it, you keep bringing up ranks all the time. In fact, personally If I were you I would not talk like a "god" and improve your skills a bit more instead. 1.9 on console is very bad.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,546Beta Tester
    Even though there are things you don't like about AAPG, name three things that you like:
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 320Beta Tester
    1/ I like that I'm always a "good guy"! No having to choose between things like: "Allies or Axis".
    2/ I like the variety of maps both official and User Made.
    3/ I like having multiple ways to communicate to team mates and opposition forces.
    BUT!!! Best of all...
    I love that it's FREE and being "data limited" (internet via mobile phone max of 10GB) I am still able to play about 19.5 hours per month.
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
  • H.E.A.T.H.E.A.T. Posts: 146Player
    hi phil.sv :) dont say it becouse that dont know it yet becouse this game i love and i see thems wrong when i join the server and allso i see hacker sorry AA but this are true happy 2019 i love this game and try to game this everyday.)
  • SsavvSsavv Posts: 4Player
    AA:PG Linux version (Steam stats - Linux 0.82%).
    New antcheat.
    Update engine Unreal 4.2.
    Beter rank system - server for newbie players (Honor 1-10)
    Mapping Contest, Mapping Contest, Mapping Contest
    Steam guns skins :)
    I could keep listing stuff but what's the point. Nothing will change

Nor will you by the looks of it, you keep bringing up ranks all the time. In fact, personally If I were you I would not talk like a "god" and improve your skills a bit more instead. 1.9 on console is very bad.

Ok squeaker.
  • |FOX|kozini.pl|FOX|kozini.pl Posts: 81Player
    edited January 2
    i like 3x that tots is out:)
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Even though there are things you don't like about AAPG, name three things that you like:

Love the game. Only game I want to play.

1. Maps are awesome and tactically created.
    2. Gameplay is on point, have zero complaints, best game out in years.
    3. Weapons are great.

There are very minor things that need tweaking. Eg. Penalize people for ignorant gameplay.

If people could only understand the importance of communication and teamwork. 15 years ago these types of games had smarter more tactically minded people.
    Nowadays it's like playing with blindfolded forest gumps and stevie wonder.