Hardware problems after the last Win10 update

phil.svphil.sv Posts: 19Player
Despite having a old PC:
  1. CPU Core duo E6600
  2. Video Card GeForce GT 730 -2GB ram
  3. 4 GB DDR3 ram
I played AAPG without any HW problem (sometimes no servers in the list... but surely this is NOT a HW problem).

From today, after the last update of Windows 10 v. 1809 I get continuous video drivers error "ran out video memory".

So I have:
  1. Uninstalled AAPG
  2. Clean installation of the last GeForce drivers
  3. Installed again AAPG
Nothing changes.... I am alone with this new problem???

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,499Beta Tester
    I honestly can not understand why everyone is constantly uninstalling AAPG as a way to solve something. It's a Steam-managed program which means that, other than the settings files, the files are checked and replaced with a new version of the file if needed.

If you have an issue, it will be with how Windows deals with the underlying layers of the environment the game runs in. And....you said it happened after a Windows update. Windows changed something, not AAPG.

So....what you do is learn how to tweak Windows 10 to create the environment the game needs, and I suspect this is an issue for MANY games to run well under that OS, so there ought to be lots of discussion going on out there about it.

Search for "Setting Up Windows 10 to run AAPG" here, or "....to run 3d games" elsewhere on the net. I'm still running Win7 because I know how to set everything up and leave it alone!!! :o

Good luck!!

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 700Player
    edited December 2018
    Ran out video memory, re-installs AAPG? The error itself already tells you what's going on.

Do you by any chance have integrated graphics on that system, if so check if the settings didn't get resetted and stopped using your GT 730. If that's not the case then there is a small chance your GPU will die soon, so I would already be putting money in jar for when it happens.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 966Moderator
    Ran out video memory, re-installs AAPG? The error itself already tells you what's going on.
    Except that its most likely not true, a lot of "us" have it going with high end(ish) cards, i dont really think the game uses more than 8GB of v-ram(i got a gtx 1080).
    Its some thing the game dont do right with the addressing of v-ram, could be driver related.

As for a solid solution, i dont have one, some times it helps to minimize the game just after the server start loading and bring it back up again when the server has loaded the map, some times not.
    In my case its just a few maps.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 945Player
    run out of vid mem or virtual mem .
    seen loads with this and you can set up your virtual memory higher to try and combat this issue .
    i have set mine up to have 40gb across 2 drives with minimun of 20gb and so far not had this error come back , maybe luck . i dunno lol
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 700Player
    edited December 2018
    frankof wrote: »
    Except that its most likely not true, a lot of "us" have it going with high end(ish) cards, i dont really think the game uses more than 8GB of v-ram(i got a gtx 1080).
    Its some thing the game dont do right with the addressing of v-ram, could be driver related.

Well the reason the GPU first game into my head is because I've had multiple GPU failures giving me this error first before they completely broke down. Since he was able to play before the update, made me believe it was because of a GPU failure. However, since he only has 4GB RAM its also possible he is not getting enough on that part, if he is using a 32bit OS then he only has access to 2GB for AAPG because the OS uses the other 2GB to run, which is still weird because again, he was able to play before the update.