Grenade Proximity Alert Through Floor

NOUMENOXNOUMENOX Posts: 5Player
edited November 30 in General Discussion
I have not played the game for as long as most people, but I encounter a slight annoyance that I want to bring to the table.

Grenades will cause your character to shout the typical 'Grenade, move!' even if they are on the floor above or below. This causes the enemy to suddenly be aware of your presence if you are attempting to covertly operate in an area without making noise, whether it is camping or masking your movements through the sound of battle.

I find this to be a huge compromise to a players' position that should not exist. I was talking to Soundy about it and he said it would be difficult to address this issue, however I think it must be done. If I am revealed by my vocal grenade alert, I almost always am forced to abandon my initiative to push an area. This is especially a problem in the area between blue stairs and north stairs in Inner Hospital, or that middle building in Watchdog, etc.

I am no programmer, but is there any way to somehow manufacture a simple fix for this? I just don't know, but I hope others would like to see it as well.

Comments

• LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 279Player
    edited November 30
    lol, the enemy lets you know when he throws a grenade anway cause he shouts something out in russian.

However, I've never heard an enemy say something when a grenade is thrown toward them. I'm sure they say it ("grenade"), but the enemy team doesn't hear them say it.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 335Moderator
    lol, the enemy lets you know when he throws a grenade anway cause he shouts something out in russian Czervenian.

However, I've never heard an enemy say something when a grenade is thrown toward them. I'm sure they say it ("grenade"), but the enemy team doesn't hear them say it.

The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 579Player
    lol, the enemy lets you know when he throws a grenade anway cause he shouts something out in russian.

You may be right, the "GREENAADDEE!!" may be client side.

But with tactical movement on, you can throw a nade silently.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 575Player
    Maybe I imagined it, but I think the most I've heard from an enemy on the receiving end of a grenade is a grunt sound when it injures them.

Even if you do make a shout that the enemy can hear, it's not like they'll know which floor it came from. The game doesn't have a Z-axis.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,334Beta Tester
    WHAT???! I constantly hear alive AND downed enemies responding vocally to MY grenade throws and use it to tell whether they are there or ran away and what I should be prepared for when I break the corner.

(And yes, we can cover our grenade throw callouts via "TACTICAL MODE." )
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 279Player
    edited November 30
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    WHAT???! I constantly hear alive AND downed enemies responding vocally to MY grenade throws and use it to tell whether they are there or ran away and what I should be prepared for when I break the corner.

For real? Seems like just about everytime the enemy throws a grenade I hear em shout "no-revive" (or something like that). Maybe no one's thrown a grenade in tact mode at me before... or maybe its just quite rare so I don't notice
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • STG.RECKERSTG.RECKER Posts: 8Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »

For real? Seems like just about everytime the enemy throws a grenade I hear em shout "no-revive" (or something like that). Maybe no one's thrown a grenade in tact mode at me before... or maybe its just quite rare so I don't notice

I also hear them respond vocally to grenade throws, however, I can't seem to decipher what it pronounces. Whenever they throw a grenade, I hear them say "Im-Eevan!!" which clicks a switch in my head, Im either screwed or lucky. Although, I have never seem to hear my own TEAMMATES responding towards MY (not enemies, they still shout GRENAAADE when an enemy nade is nearby) grenade throws, only enemies.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 919Player
    I would think that the response from enemy that has a nade thrown near them works off a diameter kind of volume that is connected to either the nade or player .
    Would also assume that it would be either extremely difficult or impossible in the coding to get this to function only in a horizontal plain .and why would you want that when we can throw nades over walls , up or down stairs and such .
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,334Beta Tester
    No, the coding would be do-able. You compare the world coordinates of the player and the grenade and look at the z-axis and figure out what to do with it. If a typical building has walls 192 UU high and a player is 93 then you could alert only when the grenade is +/- 100 UU of camera height (player's head) or something, or you could do the LOS checks for the alerts instead of radius, etc, etc. In fact, I'd like to see LOS checks for the grenade screen shake and suppression too! It's not like it's a real nade there above you, it's just a "math grenade." :)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    So could it be do-able in an update at some point for pc and ps4 . Or is it too much at this late time to add into the coding ?
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 349Developer
    So could it be do-able in an update at some point for pc and ps4 . Or is it too much at this late time to add into the coding ?

I'll have to check and see the level of effort required. We do fix bugs all the time (contrary to popular belief lol).
  • -=HELL=-Pr0b3-=HELL=-Pr0b3 Posts: 72Player

I'll have to check and see the level of effort required. We do fix bugs all the time (contrary to popular belief lol).

<3
    There are only a handfull of ppl fixing and improving. Everyone wants something done, and some fixes are more importaint than other, also when the same time trying to develop :)
    The game has come very far since aa 1.8.
    Im most interested in the new engine now, how it will look, and how the gameplay will be.
    Also alittle curious what the requirements for it wil be.
    Not to change topic, just crossed my mind.

Nades now can be silent both ways like mentioned, as long as youre in tactical mode. And yes if you hear the enemy screaming about it, then hes shouting to his team "grenade!" as his tactical is off.

On the otherhand, you can not be rambo and tactical enough to not get a "ouff" when hit by a nade.

Shouting about a nade outside a room, above or below is annoying tho.
    Also wish you could pull a nade splint tactically, even roll nades on the ground, (inside buildings as the floors allow it)

:)

Nice 1 . Any improvement to aapg is a bonus =)