Audio failing to play solution

NOUMENOXNOUMENOX Posts: 5Player
edited November 30 in Game Support
I'm sure some players know that I complained to anyone who would listen about this and got multiple people with the same problem of grenade pins, bounces, and occasionally footsteps or other sounds not working.

Credit to x[BoW]x|Wolf117, Boey.Count|=YAO, and -[U|S|A]-JakeAbel for figuring this out:

Go to your steam library, right click America's Army, then properties, go to Local Files, and click VERIFY THE INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES...

This apparently solves for some but not all. I think the devs should look into this asap:

STG.RECKER wrote: »
There are multiple values to look at here, I have realized that some sounds do not play and I die more often, it seems that if you are moving less sounds begin to play, and in the engine.ini in the my documents folder, there is a max variable for those values, so if there is literally a warzone (many sounds playing at the same time), there is a set limit to reduce this, which can cause problems.

For me, it *seems* that this problem did not occur until the recent patch. I am almost certain of it, in fact, because I now die repeatedly to grenades, for example, while rushing west/up&over on inner hospital that I before could hear coming and avoid completely. I also have noticed sometimes glass shattering sound fails to play and that gives me one less split second to spy an incoming grenade. I hope something can be done about this.

On an semi-related note, I now strongly believe that I observe grenades to do significantly less damage in some instances where they should damage heavily if not outright kill you. A grenade nerf was not mentioned in the patch notes. I have heard others talk about this as well. There are times where we have jumped right on top of a grenade and it only deals partial or no damage. This is a common occurrence since the patch. I promise you, I die significantly less from grenades than I used to, I'm sure it is not just me. But I could be imagining it.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,348Beta Tester
    What about those two Punkbuster files that you downloaded will fix the total number of sounds hard coded to be heard during gameplay? :p I don't like the occasional missing sounds (or how the system prioritizes them) either but it is what it is. It's system resource management. Unless you're writing code, you're not modding that param.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 581Player
    NOUMENOX wrote: »
    I'm sure some players know that I complained to anyone who would listen about this and got multiple people with the same problem of grenade pins, bounces, and occasionally footsteps or other sounds not working.

Credit to x[BoW]x|Wolf117, Boey.Count|=YAO, and -[U|S|A]-JakeAbel for figuring this out:

Go to your steam library, right click America's Army, then properties, go to Local Files, and click VERIFY THE INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES...

This apparently solves for some but not all. I think the devs should look into this asap:

STG.RECKER wrote: »
    There are multiple values to look at here, I have realized that some sounds do not play and I die more often, it seems that if you are moving less sounds begin to play, and in the engine.ini in the my documents folder, there is a max variable for those values, so if there is literally a warzone (many sounds playing at the same time), there is a set limit to reduce this, which can cause problems.

For me, it *seems* that this problem did not occur until the recent patch. I am almost certain of it, in fact, because I now die repeatedly to grenades, for example, while rushing west/up&over on inner hospital that I before could hear coming and avoid completely. I also have noticed sometimes glass shattering sound fails to play and that gives me one less split second to spy an incoming grenade. I hope something can be done about this.

On an semi-related note, I now strongly believe that I observe grenades to do significantly less damage in some instances where they should damage heavily if not outright kill you. A grenade nerf was not mentioned in the patch notes. I have heard others talk about this as well. There are times where we have jumped right on top of a grenade and it only deals partial or no damage. This is a common occurrence since the patch. I promise you, I die significantly less from grenades than I used to, I'm sure it is not just me. But I could be imagining it.

Thanks for reading

How do you know the glass wasn't already gone when the grenade went by?

There have always been issues with object collision blocking nades that you might expect to be hits. Grenades in this game are still overpowered.

Also, I'm wondering why one paragraph states "I now die repeatedly to grenades, for example, while rushing west/up&over on inner hospital that I before could hear coming and avoid completely" while the next paragraph states "I die significantly less from grenades than I used to." It seems just a tad contradictory.
  • STG.RECKERSTG.RECKER Posts: 8Player
    I think the way UE3 is made, all sounds play at the same time. However, the game devs have obviously set limits to this, for example, the game has a system of limiting sound, from what I have seen the limit seems to be 64-128 channels at one time. All sounds are heard, however, it is limited because of range and the environment you are currently in. It's just a theory.