RPG has completely changed some BDX maps...for the worse

2»

Comments

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 674Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Yes. That's easy feedback though. We ALL know that. In what way can the RPG itself be improved? Any bugs? What do you LIKE about it? (Since we've already heard the map-related dislikes...)

It apparently isn't so easy. Whatever team decided to implement the RPG on maps indiscriminately must think they hit a home run...but really they struck out.
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 751Player
    Some maps have been ruined by the rpgs, and others are actually a bit better with it. If they could add an option to play a map with or without the rpg this would be fixed easily. Imo the worse map right now is watchdog, 4 rpgs in such small map? What was the plan here?
    Springstreet the same thing...
    But if we look at bridge a rocket or 2 it actually fits nicely, I just dont get how they decided how many rpgs per map...

Over 1.3k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    doogle! wrote: »
    Yes. That's easy feedback though. We ALL know that. In what way can the RPG itself be improved? Any bugs? What do you LIKE about it? (Since we've already heard the map-related dislikes...)

It apparently isn't so easy. Whatever team decided to implement the RPG on maps indiscriminately must think they hit a home run...but really they struck out.

Why do you think they consider it finalized, or a great fit? What makes you think that it was indescriminate and not designed for testing purposes? Do you realize how insulting you sound? You actually seem to think a bunch of dummies work there.

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,119Player
    edited December 2018

Why do you think they consider it finalized, or a great fit? What makes you think that it was indescriminate and not designed for testing purposes? Do you realize how insulting you sound? You actually seem to think a bunch of dummies work there.

People don't have internal knowledge of what's going on, only what they see. The average person sees RPG implemented -> Bad gameplay -> No immediate action to rectify the situation... Therefore, devs are content with the outcome of adding the RPGs.

Sadly, the openness from the dev team that we were promised hasn't really come to fruition. It's better than before, but we aren't exactly getting information about expected changes, future patches, and why things were done the way they were done. With such a small community playing a 5 year old game, there's nothing to lose in being less secretive. I mean, this is a video game, not some top secret military project.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 641Player
    The RPG is fine its just should not be on some maps and better placed on others.

That's probably the problem, on PC I've heard its been placed on many maps. On PS4 its placed on a few maps, and it doesn't alter game play much.

People don't have internal knowledge of what's going on, only what they see. The average person sees RPG implemented -> Bad gameplay -> No immediate action to rectify the situation... Therefore, devs are content with the outcome of adding the RPGs.

Sadly, the openness from the dev team that we were promised hasn't really come to fruition. It's better than before, but we aren't exactly getting information about expected changes, future patches, and why things were done the way they were done. With such a small community playing a 5 year old game, there's nothing to lose in being less secretive. I mean, this is a video game, not some top secret military project.

Exactly.

Some of the decisions with the RPG are puzzling to begin with, such as putting them on the defense side on IC which further unbalances the map. That should have been obvious before it was even implemented, but the fact that it's still that way implies that the devs are happy with that.
    Keebler750 wrote:

First, tell me when the RPG update was released to the public. Then pull out your special calculator that you think is better than the regular players calculator, subtract todays date and tell me how long it's been. Here I'll help, it's been 5 months. Based on the amount of time that has passed, one can conclude that "they" are happy with "their" implementation due to a lack of engagement requesting feedback and a lack of action.

Second, you don't "test" something on the final version of the game. It's almost like there should be another version of the game for them to play and test things. Maybe we could give them a special icon and make them sign an NDA. Idk, I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe the team could also provide feedback on a range of issues...from bugs, playability, balance issues. I realize that a Beta does what a Beta is asked to do. But I'd really hope that you guys are listened to if you were to say, "Hey dudes, why does an RPG at location X make sense?"

The RPG itself is nice. I like the sound, I like the damage. I like the back blast. It looks great. It just doesn't belong on ANY BDX map, and should also be removed from several FLO maps.

You think I sound insulting, and I think you sound passive aggressive in 99% of your posts. It's fine. But do I think a bunch of dummies work there? No, I'm sure everyone involved in the project is intelligent in their own way. Everyone's good at something.

But the KISS principle has to come into play at some point. You don't improve the game or pacify the user base by throwing RPG's around on maps. It was a shiny object for about 30 minutes, and then it was just plain stupid.

The Army excuse only goes so far. Everyone listens to feedback. Everyone. I express myself almost every single day. And you know what? I still get promoted and win awards. You take your lumps when you get thumped on the head by the boss sure, but other times you are a catalyst for positive change. What the team needs isn't a bunch of guys nodding their head in approval, they also need the sceptics/refiners that help offset the bobble heads. I'd bet my left arm that a Col didn't walk in there and say, I want an RPG on Springstreet beside the hummer. I want an RPG on Watchdog at the spawn. I want an RPG in the Springstreet apartments. No, that was left up to the "team" to decide, with gameplay and balance in mind.

TLDR: RPG works as intended, though the maps chosen are questionable. Also, my feelings are hurt.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer

LOL, I'm sorry I've disappointed you. I tell you everything I know on a regular basis, update you guys on our current priorities as best I can (eSports, PS4 matchmaking, open stats, for example) even things I'm not "supposed to" and I'm not sure what else I can do. Short of you calling into our daily status meeting I don't know what else I can offer you.

You think the community playing the 5-year old Army game is small? How big do you think the development team is for that same game? And even if we had 100 people, we are still constrained by the speed of government (networks, approvals, funding, etc.). I would love to read someone's idea on this forum and have an updated build with that change into tester hands the next day and patched into live the next week, but that simply isn't the reality.

I enjoy working on a video game which shows off our Soldiers and our capabilities and I'm glad so many people do still play it, on both PC and PS4, here and abroad, and I enjoy interfacing with you and the whole community across 17 different platforms, but I think expectations need to come down a notch.
    edited December 2018
    LOL, I'm sorry I've disappointed you. I tell you everything I know on a regular basis, update you guys on our current priorities as best I can (eSports, PS4 matchmaking, open stats, for example) even things I'm not "supposed to" and I'm not sure what else I can do. Short of you calling into our daily status meeting I don't know what else I can offer you.

You think the community playing the 5-year old Army game is small? How big do you think the development team is for that same game? And even if we had 100 people, we are still constrained by the speed of government (networks, approvals, funding, etc.). I would love to read someone's idea on this forum and have an updated build with that change into tester hands the next day and patched into live the next week, but that simply isn't the reality.

I enjoy working on a video game which shows off our Soldiers and our capabilities and I'm glad so many people do still play it, on both PC and PS4, here and abroad, and I enjoy interfacing with you and the whole community across 17 different platforms, but I think expectations need to come down a notch.

The point is that you guys were pretty open before the last patch and now it's been silent again. What's next for AAPG? No one here who doesn't have an NDA knows. The last patch came out two months ago, there has to be work or at least plans for the next patch.

Also, sometimes people would like to have an explanation as to why a change was made. What was the logic behind adding RPGs to these maps? Openness in explaining why suppression is how it is or any of these other features that we've been discussing forever. These items are obviously hot topics among the player base that's left, and I'm sure many other players who don't post on these forums have similar opinions on them as well (and I know so because I sometimes ask people). I know you're probably not at liberty to discuss them, and that whether you're allow to discuss them comes from above you. It's not a dig at you but rather at the big bosses who have always even going back to the early 2000s been way too secretive with this franchise to the disappointment of its fan base. I remember back in those days it was complete radio silence from the Dev team until one day we'd get a Sitrep and then a week later a patch.
    The point is that you guys were pretty open before the last patch and now it's been silent again. What's next for AAPG? No one here who doesn't have an NDA knows. The last patch came out two months ago, there has to be work or at least plans for the next patch.

Also, sometimes people would like to have an explanation as to why a change was made. What was the logic behind adding RPGs to these maps? Openness in explaining why suppression is how it is or any of these other features that we've been discussing forever. These items are obviously hot topics among the player base that's left, and I'm sure many other players who don't post on these forums have similar opinions on them as well (and I know so because I sometimes ask people). I know you're probably not at liberty to discuss them, and that whether you're allow to discuss them comes from above you. It's not a dig at you but rather at the big bosses who have always even going back to the early 2000s been way too secretive with this franchise to the disappointment of its fan base. I remember back in those days it was complete radio silence from the Dev team until one day we'd get a Sitrep and then a week later a patch.

That's a lot easier to answer -- we've had an internal network down (well, blocked technically, but that's a different gov conversation) that hasn't even let us push builds to Tear and the guys. For instance, we've had the shoothouse fixed here for over a month and no way to deploy it. Part of it is I get frustrated too, I apologize.

You can find me on any of these platforms and ask me anything. It's not a secretive thing, it's either I don't know why on a lot of those decisions or nobody's asked.

And no I have no idea why they chose the maps they did for RPG's or what they were supposed to accomplish. I personally think they're hilarious but I'm also just a filthy casual.

Priorities right now shouldn't be a surprise -- a new map is in testing (not Pipeline but also Pipeline in FY19), eSports support (such as a working LAN mode and better streaming support), and open stats support (which you're seeing used by ACI's site and BGG's upcoming mobile app). For PS4 there's also more private lobby support (for eSports and tourneys/leagues), public matchmaking improvements (to balance teams and stop splitting parties), and more maps converted from PC.

But those are just priorities, those aren't actual features or fixes.

Also we're trying to start AAV development at the same time lol... and we haven't even gotten anyone hired yet.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    @aaHollywood - Good post. All people want is some communication. Getting their 'favorite' answer is secondary. Don't allow people to speculate negatively any more than necessary. Could you repurpose that post as an announcement to the community so they don't have to dig for it here?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    +1 Keebler. Doesn't have to be an answer I like, but I'm a big advocate of transparency (within reason, anyway)
    @aaHollywood - Good post. All people want is some communication. Getting their 'favorite' answer is secondary. Don't allow people to speculate negatively any more than necessary. Could you repurpose that post as an announcement to the community so they don't have to dig for it here?

Someone already beat me to it lol
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 65Player

Someone already beat me to it lol

Just trying to help.

That's a lot easier to answer -- we've had an internal network down (well, blocked technically, but that's a different gov conversation) that hasn't even let us push builds to Tear and the guys. For instance, we've had the shoothouse fixed here for over a month and no way to deploy it. Part of it is I get frustrated too, I apologize.

You can find me on any of these platforms and ask me anything. It's not a secretive thing, it's either I don't know why on a lot of those decisions or nobody's asked.

And no I have no idea why they chose the maps they did for RPG's or what they were supposed to accomplish. I personally think they're hilarious but I'm also just a filthy casual.

Priorities right now shouldn't be a surprise -- a new map is in testing (not Pipeline but also Pipeline in FY19), eSports support (such as a working LAN mode and better streaming support), and open stats support (which you're seeing used by ACI's site and BGG's upcoming mobile app). For PS4 there's also more private lobby support (for eSports and tourneys/leagues), public matchmaking improvements (to balance teams and stop splitting parties), and more maps converted from PC.

But those are just priorities, those aren't actual features or fixes.

Also we're trying to start AAV development at the same time lol... and we haven't even gotten anyone hired yet.