RPG has completely changed some BDX maps...for the worse

doogle!doogle! Posts: 587Player
Let me caveat by saying I have not played much since the RPG update. When I did, the RPG felt very gimmicky. Something added with little thought on the meta, but good for the lols in public servers.

After several maps in a BDX server I've come to double down on that opinion and add to it. The RPG has completely changed the playability of the BDX maps it was added to...and that's not a good thing.

What was the thought process on choosing which maps got the RPG? Seems it would be better served exclusively on a maps like Insurg, Bridge.

Surely I can't be the only one who holds this opinion. But if I am, ignore me and carry on.

Comments

• Completely agree, I have also posted on the forums about the Aussie side of things and how the game is today. The rpg doesn't make sense in a game like this. Battlefield sure. But this is a strategy based game like CS:GO for instance.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,364Player
    Server owners can switch it off bAllowRPGPickup=false we have it off on our servers it makes no sense
    to have it on BDX or have 3 on defence side on InsurgentCamp_AC.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 581Player
    edited November 26
    doogle! wrote: »
    Let me caveat by saying I have not played much since the RPG update. When I did, the RPG felt very gimmicky. Something added with little thought on the meta, but good for the lols in public servers.

After several maps in a BDX server I've come to double down on that opinion and add to it. The RPG has completely changed the playability of the BDX maps it was added to...and that's not a good thing.

What was the thought process on choosing which maps got the RPG? Seems it would be better served exclusively on a maps like Insurg, Bridge.

Surely I can't be the only one who holds this opinion. But if I am, ignore me and carry on.

I haven't played them enough to say conclusively, but I agree that it has more of a place in those maps, especially since both used to have an M203 in the loadout.

Server owners can switch it off bAllowRPGPickup=false we have it off on our servers it makes no sense
    to have it on BDX or have 3 on defence side on InsurgentCamp_AC.

Agreed. Three on the assault side would make sense. One of the biggest issues with Insurgent Camp in AAPG compared to AA2 is that there's no M203. There's really nothing to stop defense from playing that top office. Sure, assault can toss nades in, but you have to get so close that the defender should hear it.

When I heard the RPG was included on IC, I thought it would help with map balance. Then I found out they were all on the defense side and have no idea what the thinking was behind that.
  • PredictionPrediction Posts: 117Player
    Agreed. Not a fan of the RPG's but while they are there I will continue to use them to my advantage :)
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 283Player
    The RPG hasn't changed gameplay much, imo. Its just a grenade with wings, perfect for clearing out camp spots from afar.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,787Player
    The RPG hasn't changed gameplay much....

perfect for clearing out camp spots from afar.

Insert facepalm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,952Player
    The RPG hasn't changed gameplay much, imo. Its just a grenade with wings, perfect for clearing out camp spots from afar.

Come on now. Are you really going to argue on this one with guys who have been playing the same maps over and over for 5 years?
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Come on now. Are you really going to argue on this one with guys who have been playing the same maps over and over for 5 years?

The RPG is just fine in my opinion. Sure, its deadly, but you only get one use with it, and it has a few other limitations as well.

Many games have power/special weapons which are meant to give temporary advantages for those who pick them up. In this case its the RPG.

P0asKE2.jpg
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,364Player
    The RPG is fine its just should not be on some maps and better placed on others.
    The RPG is fine its just should not be on some maps and better placed on others.

That's probably the problem, on PC I've heard its been placed on many maps. On PS4 its placed on a few maps, and it doesn't alter game play much.

P0asKE2.jpg
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    edited December 15

RPG on BDX maps for real? like breach, spring street, etc? That makes no sense maps are way too small for that. Also the gameplay of this game doesn't fit with RPG and if I understand correctly you pick the RPG up? If that's the case that unbalances gameplay a ton a player should have to sacrifice something to use RPG like back in AA2 you had the crappiest gun in the server if you used RPG as secondary while everyone else had SF M4's and Snipers.

If you want an Army Simulation thats fine make the core of the gameplay like that. But as it stands the core gameplay is all fast paced arcade style. If theres one thing I wish for next AA to be I hope the devs have a direction of what they want the game to be an stick to it slow pace authentic features like damage drop off, sway, increase recoil when running opposed to being still doesn't fit with fast paced gameplay you need to have solid direction of what you want the core of the game to be and then you have to cater features to match that core gameplay or your going to end up with a dead game no one plays. Just imagine AA2 with slide, and supported fire the way it is in AAPG(AA2 had supported fire right you gotta deploy bipod can't duck away from fire quickly as you were prone and had to undeploy bipod (this balanced the laser beam aim supported fire gave you because you couldn't get to cover quickly). There would be no AA3, AAPG, or a next one. AA2 is a great example of aiming for slow paced arcadey gameplay and catering features to fit that style. Look at CSGO, COD, Battlefield they all have a style of gameplay and they stick to it. You gotta question what something will do to the balance of the game if you add it and if you thought about what RPG would do to gameplay you should've came to the conclusion it doesn't fit 6v6 BDX maps.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

edited December 15
    I think AA would do good to fit somewhere between CS & R6 honestly. CS is not an ADS game and R6 is kind of a stiff game in that's not as free flowing as a game like CS (too structured). AA2 kind of had that slowness of R6 with the free flowing style of CS. It did it well. AAPG tried too hard to mix CS & CoD.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,348Beta Tester
    The RPG is a fun addition to the game for some people. I'm sure that it doesn't have to stay in the specific maps. It is a great way to have more people test it so that it can be improved. If it had come out just as a UMM add on, no one would have got to see it or test it.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    edited December 15
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    The RPG is a fun addition to the game for some people. I'm sure that it doesn't have to stay in the specific maps. It is a great way to have more people test it so that it can be improved. If it had come out just as a UMM add on, no one would have got to see it or test it.

It would make sense as an offensive weapon for a map like Insurgent Camp. Other than that, it should have probably never been implemented in any of the existing official maps. Also, agree with Colts in that it should have just been a class and you'd be given an AK-74 with iron sights.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,348Beta Tester
    Yes. That's easy feedback though. We ALL know that. In what way can the RPG itself be improved? Any bugs? What do you LIKE about it? (Since we've already heard the map-related dislikes...)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -hyperlite--hyperlite- Posts: 97Player
    I like that it requires absolutely no skill and is an easy kill for anybody. It can be improved by being able to reload another round so that i have a 2nd chance in case the first one missed.
    edited December 15
    I honestly haven't played official maps to know how it plays in those, but I will say that in UMMs the main issue is that people just drop like 10 of them so they're just flying everywhere. They're simply a point and click weapon. Certainly fun when you have one, not so fun to be on the receiving end.

In AA2 one guy had the RPG and he got a bunch of a shots with it (and the thing took a long time to reload). There was also the chance that the thing would go completely off course. In the end, most people hated the RPG because even in spite of those things it was a cheap no-skill weapon. What's funny is that we got an RPG and not an M320 which required much more skill to learn how to place the shots in tight areas and also required a certain amount of revolutions on the grenade before it armed. A map like Insurgent Camp was made for the grenade launcher. You put that thing in the hands of a master and those windows were on lock down for the first half of the match. You give it to someone who's not so good and defense has a much easier time defending. It made for a much more interesting weapon. I won't deny that the M203 had plenty of no skill shots, but it still was way better for gameplay vs the RPG.

I pretty much see the RPG as a throw away bs, have fun type weapon, not a serious competitive weapon.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 587Player

RPG on BDX maps for real? like breach, spring street, etc? That makes no sense maps are way too small for that. Also the gameplay of this game doesn't fit with RPG and if I understand correctly you pick the RPG up? If that's the case that unbalances gameplay a ton a player should have to sacrifice something to use RPG like back in AA2 you had the crappiest gun in the server if you used RPG as secondary while everyone else had SF M4's and Snipers.

If you want an Army Simulation thats fine make the core of the gameplay like that. But as it stands the core gameplay is all fast paced arcade style. If theres one thing I wish for next AA to be I hope the devs have a direction of what they want the game to be an stick to it slow pace authentic features like damage drop off, sway, increase recoil when running opposed to being still doesn't fit with fast paced gameplay you need to have solid direction of what you want the core of the game to be and then you have to cater features to match that core gameplay or your going to end up with a dead game no one plays. Just imagine AA2 with slide, and supported fire the way it is in AAPG(AA2 had supported fire right you gotta deploy bipod can't duck away from fire quickly as you were prone and had to undeploy bipod (this balanced the laser beam aim supported fire gave you because you couldn't get to cover quickly). There would be no AA3, AAPG, or a next one. AA2 is a great example of aiming for slow paced arcadey gameplay and catering features to fit that style. Look at CSGO, COD, Battlefield they all have a style of gameplay and they stick to it. You gotta question what something will do to the balance of the game if you add it and if you thought about what RPG would do to gameplay you should've came to the conclusion it doesn't fit 6v6 BDX maps.

Yep, it's on springstreet, watchdog, and others.

Peek your ugly face out of crouch and eat an RPG, kablooom!

• TAF_HunterTAF_Hunter Posts: 2Player

If on ps4, DDG(DirtyDogGaming) is looking for signup in skirmishes against our clan TAF(TacticalAssaultForce)
    Join us!!!!
  • m(o)(o)km(o)(o)k Posts: 19Player
    Agreed...On the larger maps it's fine. Even FLO Watchdog is ok (still too many though)...but on BDX... you went a bit too far imo.