CVAR's we dont need to check for in Competition. We need to run CVAR CHECKS!

1235»

Comments

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,032Moderator
    A couple of things, theres no need for official cvar checks from the devs, they can hard code the offending value rendering a client change useless.
    Community checks for useless cvars are at best funny, but mostly sad, why would you waste resources checking files not used by the game?
    -
    People coming up with checks must know what they do, check the setting in question, ask them selves, "is this acceptable or is it unfair?" not just "oh, this looks like something bad, lets check it and kick for it" when the value dont do anything.
    -
    Cvar checks running on a server are "public", so unless everyone is using them, just checking for a value could potentially give people ideas on what to change and run it on servers not using the same checks.
    -
    Of coarse, you could see cvar checks as a rule set instead of a AC tool witch in my opinion is a smarter point of view as most players are not out to cheat but rather out to get the most pleasing gaming experience for them selves.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    edited July 2015
    frankof wrote: »
    A couple of things, theres no need for official cvar checks from the devs, they can hard code the offending value rendering a client change useless.
    Community checks for useless cvars are at best funny, but mostly sad, why would you waste resources checking files not used by the game?
    -
    People coming up with checks must know what they do, check the setting in question, ask them selves, "is this acceptable or is it unfair?" not just "oh, this looks like something bad, lets check it and kick for it" when the value dont do anything.
    -
    Cvar checks running on a server are "public", so unless everyone is using them, just checking for a value could potentially give people ideas on what to change and run it on servers not using the same checks.
    -
    Of coarse, you could see cvar checks as a rule set instead of a AC tool witch in my opinion is a smarter point of view as most players are not out to cheat but rather out to get the most pleasing gaming experience for them selves.

you are right:
    But why the DEVs did not already hard coded all offending values? Or should we consider everything as a beta bug? I mean i think its lazy job, if you code smoke in game, and players can render it useless with a simple ini trick ( I know it has already been patched). Why it wasn't hard coded from get go?

Also there is the problem about what people find fair and unfair. Some claim radically, that any change to ini is a crime. I even had some admin tell me that if you have 144 locked fps, and come close to another person with in game locked 90 fps, that persons fps would drop drastically. Apparently he had tested this himself.

I told him, this cant be true, since the render power of each client cant really effect the render power of others.
    But tested it anyway for the benefit of doubt (could have been a bug to report). It was of course not the case.

You see even if you explain some this kinda facts, they still keep believing that a person with 144fps has more advantage against a person with 90fps.. how can you argue, if some chose belief over facts.

By the way the fps argument goes for anything above 60 frames regarding advantage. I can imagine if someone is playing with 30 fps, he is surely in disadvantage.