CVAR's we dont need to check for in Competition. We need to run CVAR CHECKS!

Comments

• Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    edited July 2015
    I'd like to point out I couldn’t get the game to play on a 9800GTX on all low graphical settings ingame, it constantly crashed to desktop after 5 mins of playing (I picked it up at a dodgy market for £4 :) ) a graphics card which is stated as a minimum requirement to run the game.

Before it gets said.. The card is fine, I tested it with other games too :lol:

So in that respect.. It's little wonder people may have such a need to tweak things.

i know a guy who plays on a 8600 gs

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited July 2015
    frankof wrote: »
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Right.. I said except the engine.ini in the previous post.. not gonna repeat that part everytime because it's obvious you're not gonna be god from gaining FPS.

Also no cheat lines in engine..

Also yes it could be bugged reported and fixed.. does that mean a skilled programmer can't figure it out?

Soo..why can't they just be locked...
    Ok, so no setting up a personalized server then, that runs from AAGame.ini
    No changing of crosshair, thats in AAUI.ini
    Special settings for editor?, nope, its in AAEditor files(not that i think many will tweak the editor files tho)
    Keybinds? well, its in AAinput.ini
    Video card unidentified by the game? its in AACompat.ini (not that it makes a difference, its just "nice")
    Some things are not as straight forward as it looks ;)

Oh, and i almost forgot, a lot of the graphics tweaks you can do in the ini files you can do in the video card drivers as well, and then some.

You don't have to go into AAUI.ini to change crosshair you can do that ingame menu settings. So yes there is no point to be able to open up the AAUI.ini and edit stuff. Same goes for the rest. As long as the menu settings are there no need for all this.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    I could be wrong but i think frankof means the ingame crosshair setting changes values in the AAUI.ini.
    AAPG is good!
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited July 2015
    I could be wrong but i think frankof means the ingame crosshair setting changes values in the AAUI.ini.

Ya there is still no reason for us to have access to the file to change stuff the menu setting changes it automatically. If possible we should not be able to go into it and do stuff manually...if possible.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    So Tots pretty much said CVAR checks are easy to get around for players that are going to exploit.

Yet Dragon mentioned two kicks in 1 game.

...anyway have we ever got an answer why the ini. Simply can't be accessible? ..just the engine for ppl who need graphical tweaks to raise fps.

Well the cvar script was running unaware to the other team. If there was word of servers running cvar checks, i'm sure they might have bothered to write their tweaks in a way that bypasses the checks.

It's one of those things where it'll catch some who have not bothered to google how to bypass the checks, but those who wish to remain hidden will easily do so.

So for what have you checked and what got them get kicked in those CVARs checks?
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,036Moderator

Ya there is still no reason for us to have access to the file to change stuff the menu setting changes it automatically. If possible we should not be able to go into it and do stuff manually...if possible.
    But, you cant have it both ways, either the file is editable or its not, if the game can change the file on the fly, so can i.
    It could probably be encrypted, but then it would have to be decrypted every time the game needed to read a value.
    Some stuff is/was encrypted, but never entire settings files.
    So, if you want the files "locked down", its going to cost, either you cant change the values or slow performance,
    ss_4_frankof.png
    frankof wrote: »

But, you cant have it both ways, either the file is editable or its not, if the game can change the file on the fly, so can i.
    It could probably be encrypted, but then it would have to be decrypted every time the game needed to read a value.
    Some stuff is/was encrypted, but never entire settings files.
    So, if you want the files "locked down", its going to cost, either you cant change the values or slow performance,

are we really talking about big performance lost? Cos if I see the files sizes for ini which get tweaked for visual settings.. its not really that big..

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    ^^ exactly
    edited July 2015
    BTW how is it for the other shooters like bf or cs etc.. Can ppl access ini files? I am asking because someone argued that you can't put all the possible wanted changes into game settings menu.

Edit: also I have hard time understanding that with the lowest possible in game graphics settings, some still have issues with game performance. Don't get me wrong I also miss the setting for frame lock above 90 fps. But nowadays with lots of cheap gpus out there which can handle 1080p with UE engine with no problem, I do not see the need of ini tweaking for performance gain. Or the number of players suffering from it as a great number. If this could stop players changing tos parts of ini. I think it would be a great trade off.
  • SSKbartSSKbart Posts: 125Player
    BTW how is it for the other shooters like bf or cs etc.. Can ppl access ini files? I am asking because someone argued that you can't put all the possible wanted changes into game settings menu.

Edit: also I have hard time understanding that with the lowest possible in game graphics settings, some still have issues with game performance. Don't get me wrong I also miss the setting for frame lock above 90 fps. But nowadays with lots of cheap gpus out there which can handle 1080p with UE engine with no problem, I do not see the need of ini tweaking for performance gain. Or the number of players suffering from it as a great number. If this could stop players changing tos parts of ini. I think it would be a great trade off.

Yes, in CSGO its possible (google is your friend)
    Some people use laptops for gaming for example, they are much worse as pc gpus. They usually need those tweaks.
    edited July 2015
    yeah sure some use laptops and some tweak for extra sauce.. you have to outweigh the positives and negatives.

I know about tidididis laptop :)

But what is more worth? Lock it with enough settings (also some possible lowest setting so laptop users can also play) to cover low and high level hardware? Or keep it unlocked and have endless discussions, who is tweaking, if that tweak is legit or not, cvar checks for comp.. the whole nine yard

I think it would much better option to improve visual settings options in game menu and lock/encrypt files.
  • SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    It is really enough to cvar check bs settings without locking any files.

edited July 2015
    It is really enough to cvar check bs settings without locking any files.

yes but than we ran into urban legends regarding evil ini tweaks, its not realistic to expect all admins out there to understand which cvar check is ok and which one is not.

Sometime people just like to play the game, and run a clean server but don't have coding BG or enough interest/experience to figure out what each line actually does in game.

At the end they ask in forums for help about CVAR checks and sometime end up getting the info from wrong person.

Edit: not to mention, it has been already established that cvar checks can be by passed
    edited July 2015
    This is about teaching unexperienced server admins (by, maybe, community project) how to implement CVARS on their server.

But first CVARS must be created by people with knowledge, for example Devs. Official CVARS, blocking all inside file (for example AAEngine.ini) lines except graphical options with possibility to change them to get more performance.

Everyone is happy. Servers are clean from wannabe better twakezorz, people can get more performance by switching off useless graphical settings. THIS IS NOT UTOPIA! Some cooperation and this is done quickly and easily.

Community is not big. People are not retarded like it used to be in AA2, to be honest. It really can be successful.

There is not enough attention payed from up (Devs and experienced players/adiministrators) to the rest. I do not think about forcing anyone to do something. I mean teaching and leading. In current times, in real life, community projects are more and more important. Do you know why it is important in our community? Because the number of Devs is XX, and the number of players is XX*Y(Y[Y]).
    edited July 2015
    Isn't this already done by PBbans and ACI automatically if your server is enrolled?

I would also welcome an official CVAR Check file. But I stopped looking for more info about manual checks the second I found out that those checks can be bypassed easily.

By the way people having issues about GPU performance and know how to boost performance by turning off useless settings inside ini should also offer that knowledge to DEVs, so they can create a video settings option for this. (simplified : Lowest settings with 1 click in game) That would also help all ini modifiers not to do it all over again after a version update

edited July 2015
    But I stopped looking for more info about manual checks the second I found out that those checks can be bypassed easily.

Maybe yes, someone admited it above. But look, easy mathematic and logic.

How many players plays this game? Much (do not even check it, jsut much).
    How many players know how to bypass checks? Maybe 4/5/6.
    How many players have problems with performance, would like to tweak but do not want (because of possibly kick from the server) or did a tweak (and can not play on multiple servers)? Dozens.

Worth? In my opition it is.

Personally I am not able to play on around 10 servers, because some stupid (sorry) admin thought that swtiching Dynamic decals, shadows, lights must be punished. [mod edit] Not serious people without basic knowledge.

Of course I understand- their money, their rules. But this is North Korea in their minds and in their moves. If we do not start changing this mentality, when this game reach more players the number of Middle Age minded people will grow up as well.

edited July 2015
    But I stopped looking for more info about manual checks the second I found out that those checks can be bypassed easily.

Maybe yes, someone admited it above. But look, easy mathematic and logic.

How many players plays this game? Much (do not even check it, jsut much).
    How many players know how to bypass checks? Maybe 4/5/6.
    How many players have problems with performance, would like to tweak but do not want (because of possibly kick from the server) or did a tweak (and can not play on multiple servers)? Dozens.

Worth? In my opition it is.

Personally I am not able to play on around 10 servers, because some stupid (sorry) admin thought that swtiching Dynamic decals, shadows, lights must be punished. [mod edit] Not serious people without basic knowledge.

Of course I understand- their money, their rules. But this is North Korea in their minds and in their moves.

lets not name names.. but I also met couple of players (not 1-2) who actually heard somewhere that tuning the settings so much down would actually help them see enemies better/earlier etc.. So even with potent Hardware they go and play the game which looks like crap (for my taste) with those low settings :)

So there will always be ppl who have opinion without knowledge out there
    edited July 2015
    So there will always be ppl who have opinion without knowledge out there

Of course but opinion in compare to knowledge is irrational.

You saw blue grass (painted). You say: I SAW BLUE GRASS. GRASS IS BLUE. But no. Grass is green.

Daughter will never be younger than mother.

About players who make better/earlier (lol!) visible enemies. Decals, lighting, shadows has nothing with it.
    wuuutt?? there is no blue grass?? Now you ruined my day man.. :p