CVAR's we dont need to check for in Competition. We need to run CVAR CHECKS!

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    edited June 2015
    I wish I knew what the heck all this was all about or I'd go sniffing around myself, chances are the people who do know what can be exploited wouldn't say anything.. Just so they can continue to do it.

I thought that’s what Beta testing might be for? I think asking players who may or may not have the whole communities best interests at heart is rather unreliable I would say.

After all this time, I'm sure most if not all exploitable changes to the engines text files have been hardcoded by now, surely?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    edited June 2015
    Remember there is a difference between looking for exploits and looking for performance.

There are no exploits in text posted by me. But there is huge difference in performance. That makes colts CVARS example stupid.
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    edited June 2015
    frankof wrote: »
    To make a efficient cvar check, you must know what to check for, so if you run a check to stop an exploit you would have to know the exploit first.
    If you know its an exploit, why isnt it reported to the devs so they can hard code the value and be rid of the exploit?

You know the one thing I don't get.. shouldn't the devs know what kinda settings could give an advantage and hardcode it from the start?? If I see what ppl usually change it makes me think that there arent like 1000 lines you have to figure out from the dev perpective.

Either way, the visual settings should be editable from the in game settings and otherwise locked IMO.
    I am not a coder and do not understand every line, but I have seen screenshots of a player where he could see any enemy in hidden places like bushes (where there wasnt any), or other players outer lines true thin objs.. etc.. this should be stopped.

If you play with 200fps.. who the [TOS Violation] cares.. crying about this is silly.

But stuff like movement speed, reaction times etc.. shouldn't be able to be tweaked (I do not know what is locked exactly)
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    edited June 2015
    Remember there is a difference between looking for exploits and looking for performance.

There are no exploits in text posted by me. But there is huge difference in performance. That makes colts CVARS example stupid.

No doubt, yeah, but that’s one deep rabbit hole I aint never seen the bottom of.. and last time I chipped in got my head bitten off by a cunning fox whom battled me with words of wisdom that I had no answer to, because quite simply I have no experience in what this whole CVAR, ini tweaking, performance enhancing, whatever it is some players like to do.. Words and expressions which were also backed up by people who are in some way associated with the game.. no matter what I said it couldn’t be agreed with and was shunned..

.. Infact, the hole was that deep.. I got myself out, so it would be silly of me to go climbing back down there I think :lol:

it's just best that all people need to know is that I have always disagreed with any changes made outside the confines of the games settings themselves. However ignorant or selfish that is, that's simply my view on it and last I checked people can have their own opinions.

You watch, next people will be telling me to keep my nose out of esports because I don't partake in comp matches, which is fair enough I guess and second guessing don't help not feeding trollery, so my bad for that too.. did I say I was going to stop make cage rattling posts? [TOS Violation] that lasted long, guess I can't help myself :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

edited June 2015
    Every opinion must be respected- opinion from competitive players and non-competitive players. No one is Einstein here.

From my side I am a person who used to fight with not good enough performance since long long time, because I think that lowering graphic settings is better than paying more to get better performance and visual effects in one. But this is made by my point of view- I do not care about graphical effects. For me the most important is performance and stability.

That's why I'm getting confused and annoyed when someone jumps in front of the others with forcing all to play with Decals, Shadows, Lighting enabled.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,036Moderator
    You know the one thing I don't get.. shouldn't the devs know what kinda settings could give an advantage and hardcode it from the start?? If I see what ppl usually change it makes me think that there arent like 1000 lines you have to figure out from the dev perpective.

Either way, the visual settings should be editable from the in game settings and otherwise locked IMO.
    I am not a coder and do not understand every line, but I have seen screenshots of a player where he could see any enemy in hidden places like bushes (where there wasnt any), or other players outer lines true thin objs.. etc.. this should be stopped.

If you play with 200fps.. who the [TOS Violation] cares.. crying about this is silly.

But stuff like movement speed, reaction times etc.. shouldn't be able to be tweaked (I do not know what is locked exactly)
    Firs, its impractical to make so detailed ingame menu that it covers all type of hardware and personal preferences, and on a engine as flexible as the UE3 its hard/impossible to think of everything.
    And if you made such a settings menu, most players wouldnt be able to use it anyway as half of the settings goes beyond their understanding.
    So what you have in game is a simplified system, one button changes i.e 5 different values to give a result that players can live with, editing the individual values lets you tweak the result to perfection, most people dont need perfection.

As for the screenshots you seen, dont sound like ini tweaks, but rather something we cant discuss here.
    Those enchantments cant be stopped by cvar checks(in most cases)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    You guys obviously missed what colts wrote.. his list are the settings you CAN change without getting kicked.. all other changes would be illigal and if changed you would be caught..

So ex. Res 1080 doesn't mean you must play at 1080 it's a line you can edit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    The tweak lines for no smoke and recoil have been reported and apperently are fixed.. but that doesn't mean a smart programmer can't figure it out.. hence the CVAR .. if any ini line would be touched aside from what's on the list it would come up.

Again like anything else it's the reliability that I question.. and if it truly is good...why aren't we running it from the start

edited June 2015
    Sorry then, I understood it wrong. My fault, sorry for bad words.
    No need to apologize I'm just clearing things up.. he's also asking if anyone has more lines to add, feel free to do so.

Basically any graphical setting, lighting, shadows, Res, etc can be ultered. The "cheatin" comes from other lines that would be made illigal by a CVAR scan.

So the server has a program that scans ppl ini?

=IK=Doba= wrote: »
    The "cheatin" comes from other lines that would be made illigal by a CVAR scan.

The program running on the server allowing to make cvar checks is PunkBuster.
    You cant make a "reverse" cvar scan, you will have to come up with a check for every single line and value.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • Mulgarus.Carbon8Mulgarus.Carbon8 Posts: 65Player
    yea, I've used them for years, from AA1 and AA2, and when with AAPG in TWL, when it was around..
    Add ME to Steam.
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    The "cheatin" comes from other lines that would be made illigal by a CVAR scan.

The program running on the server allowing to make cvar checks is PunkBuster.
    You cant make a "reverse" cvar scan, you will have to come up with a check for every single line and value.

what about the livesecure CVAR checks? Couldnt find any info there. Back in AA2 they had the CVAR checks extra as file.
    The same with PBBans..
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited June 2015
    If this is the list which should be present, this is a crime on people with lower hardware. This is your list modified by me, which raise performance without adding some, let's saym "illegall adventage":

bUseMaxQualityMode=False
    StaticDecals=False
    DynamicDecals=False
    UnbatchedDecals=False

DecalCullDistanceScale=1.000000
    DynamicLights=False
    DynamicShadows=False

LightEnvironmentShadows=False
    CompositeDynamicLights=False

SHSecondaryLighting=False
    DirectionalLightmaps=True
    MotionBlur=false
    MotionBlurPause=False
    MotionBlurSkinning=1
    AmbientOcclusion=False
    Bloom=false
    bAllowLightShafts=False
    Distortion=False
    FilteredDistortion=False
    DropParticleDistortion=False
    OnlyStreamInTextures=True
    OneFrameThreadLag=True
    UseVsync=False
    UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
    Fullscreen=True
    bAllowSeparateTranslucency=False
    bAllowPostprocessMLAA=False
    bAllowHighQualityMaterials=True
    DetailMode=0
    MaxAnisotropy=16
    MaxMultiSamples=1
    ResX=1920
    ResY=1080
    ScreenPercentage=100.000000
    bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False (default "True") Only for Nvidia cards
    MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=999999999 (default: 1024)
    MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=999999999 (default: 256)
    MipFadeInSpeed0=0 (default: 0.3)
    MipFadeOutSpeed0=0 (default: 0.1)
    MipFadeInSpeed1=0 (default: 2.0)
    MipFadeOutSpeed1=0 (default: 1.0)
    PoolSize=999999999 (default: 160)
    UseTextureFileCache
    bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=
    UseDynamicStreaming=

The problem with CVARS was always sensitive and will be always sensitive. That's why I call it "smart CVARS". When you force people to use Static or Dynamic decals, shadows- this is a crime.

My list of OK settings to use...... Meaning anything in my list will not be checked on whether it is true or false or ex value.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

what about the livesecure CVAR checks? Couldnt find any info there. Back in AA2 they had the CVAR checks extra as file.
    The same with PBBans..
    Without checking to throughly, livesecure is basically a UI for PB.
    Someone still has to come up with the check, enter it into livesecure and let it update all servers running the program.

ss_4_frankof.png
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    Around the time the smoke tweak was around in competitive play. Rokis spent a ton of time creating a thorough cvar check that would detect anyone tweaking with the smoke and a few other parameters. He was planning on releasing it to the community.

Upon his research, he discovered several ways to bypass the cvar checks, and ended up abandoning the project as there was no reliable way to ensure players weren't using these methods to completely circumvent the cvar checks.

Point being: This needs to be fixed from the inside out by the devs.

Also, this topic title could have been worded better.

BONUS FUNNY: He ended up running the cvar script for only one game versus another team, which led to one or two players from the opposing team getting kicked by the server...
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
    The same with PBBans..
    Without checking to throughly, livesecure is basically a UI for PB.
    Someone still has to come up with the check, enter it into livesecure and let it update all servers running the program.

Yes I understand how livesecure works.. I was wondering what is checked there..

Also what does here do?
    MipFadeInSpeed0=0 (default: 0.3)
    MipFadeOutSpeed0=0 (default: 0.1)
    MipFadeInSpeed1=0 (default: 2.0)
    MipFadeOutSpeed1=0 (default: 1.0)
  • zmB-.-zmB-.- Posts: 82Player
    Distortion=False

Set this. And you get kicked from nearly every Server out there. Standart cvarchecks.
    index.php?soldier=zOmbi-
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    The last time this was proposed it was demonstrated just how easy it is to fake these checks and get by them.

Unfortunately these cvar checks really won't do much against people who are going to try to exploit in the first place.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

Distortion=False

Set this. And you get kicked from nearly every Server out there. Standart cvarchecks.

No knowledge = rigid rules.

I would like to say that your server is North Korea style, but I will not :P