Crouching and the speed of moving without making noise.

Wiseguy21Wiseguy21 Posts: 17Player
edited October 30 in General Discussion
Theres no point in crouching in terms of being more quiet. And the speed the character moves when making no step noise is to slow. If u could dampen the sound imprint while crouching and increase the movement speed of the character while moving without making noise slightly it would greatly help flow of game play. I was playing 2v2 scrims, getting ready for the duos tournament and the things ive mentioned turn what should be most quick, effective tactical decisions, flank, new position, whatever, into, it wont really matter. I mean test it out yourself, makes the game boring because it takes away from the aspects of the game. Doing this could add more balance. Give it a chance pls. Try it out on hydra, lots of thing u could do in a situation but its sorta taken away from the players, an turns into people just sitting, listing.

Comments

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,932Player
    If they don't want tactical walking to be silent, then at the very least crouch walking in tactical should be silent. I honestly never use tactical because it's useless since people can hear you anyway, at having a tactical version of crouch walking would be useful.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 573Player
    What he said ^

Don't use tactical crouch or crawl anywhere. In this game, speed > loud tactical crouch 9 times out of 10. Crouching in tactical mode slows your movement speed down significantly, and only makes you slightly more quiet. It's not worth the trade-off IMO.
  • In the beta, it worked as you describe. In the current version, they've added much more nuance to sound. There is an effect called 'attenuation' which is a fancy way of saying that once something goes BANG, you have a hard time hearing someone whispering. Same thing applies in-game, with things like gunfire, explosions, glass shattering, etc. So a tactic like "make some noise" can not only distract, but could also slightly deafen the enemy to things like footsteps or equipment jangling.

Another thing to consider is that the new sound engine is super realistic in that it simulates the fact that TO YOU, your steps might still have some footfall sounds - but you're right on top of your own feet, as obvious as that is, which makes you hearing the loudest possible sound. An enemy that has been sneaking silently without firing or taking fire, they might be able to hear you. If you're on plywood or metal, imagine, your boots can only be so quiet - so consider what you're walking on. However, if you are sneaking up upon an enemy that's firing his weapon or being hit with heavy fire - that player's sound will not register the footfalls and rustling at all really.

I hope this makes sense. I know it's an old thread but this is one of my favorite features of the game and I like to explain it to people.
    In the beta, it worked as you describe. In the current version, they've added much more nuance to sound. There is an effect called 'attenuation' which is a fancy way of saying that once something goes BANG, you have a hard time hearing someone whispering. Same thing applies in-game, with things like gunfire, explosions, glass shattering, etc. So a tactic like "make some noise" can not only distract, but could also slightly deafen the enemy to things like footsteps or equipment jangling.

Another thing to consider is that the new sound engine is super realistic in that it simulates the fact that TO YOU, your steps might still have some footfall sounds - but you're right on top of your own feet, as obvious as that is, which makes you hearing the loudest possible sound. An enemy that has been sneaking silently without firing or taking fire, they might be able to hear you. If you're on plywood or metal, imagine, your boots can only be so quiet - so consider what you're walking on. However, if you are sneaking up upon an enemy that's firing his weapon or being hit with heavy fire - that player's sound will not register the footfalls and rustling at all really.

I hope this makes sense. I know it's an old thread but this is one of my favorite features of the game and I like to explain it to people.

I hear what you're saying, but if I'm sitting still, you're not sneaking up on me. Not crouching, not crawling. And knowing where you are, coupled with you not knowing where I am, is a huge leg-up in competitive play...especially on defense.

That's why you see most comp players running around like they're on meth and jumping through and around doorways and shot lines. It's a way to dodge bullets like Max Payne, but primarily used to identify the location of a sedentary target.
  • Ix-M0NTANA-xIIx-M0NTANA-xI Posts: 49Player
    edited November 14
    doogle! wrote: »
    What he said ^

Don't use tactical crouch or crawl anywhere. In this game, speed > loud tactical crouch 9 times out of 10. Crouching in tactical mode slows your movement speed down significantly, and only makes you slightly more quiet. It's not worth the trade-off IMO.

You are correct.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,325Beta Tester
    edited November 14
    I think GardenSalsa is pretty close in the audio information as to how it works (this is just speculation and experience. I have no specific inside info on this). I tend to RUN to get between locations (as timing to stronghold positions is a huge battle factor) or crouch and move during large audio events, like people firing, or grenades. IE....I use those sounds to mask my movement.

I'm very interested in how audio affects gameplay, and there are a few things I'd like to see improved. Unfortunately, the sound in this game is PERFECTLY directional with my particular headset (Logitech G930) and I can hear people tactical crouching or crawling AND know their direction from ridiculous distances IF that sound isn't covered by other sounds.

Because the sound is unrealistically good, I think it (along with corner geometry) promotes camping because the quietest player knows EXACTLY when another player is going to break past a corner.

I'd like to see sound radii changed for quiet sounds like battle rattle, position changes or crawling, to the point that beyond that radius, you can't hear the sound no matter how cranked your headset is. This would save some ears, and make it more fair for everyone.

Then, I'd like objects in a map to absorb or affect sounds based on a "SoundClass" in the code in such a way that a fabric curtain won't affect ANY sounds, a wood or drywall wall will block 'some' sounds, and only gun shots or explosions will go through heavier walls or objects. Right now, someone crawling north outside the Insurgent Camp building can be heard through those stone walls to Y Stairs merely by cranking the volume. Even though the sound has been muffled in the design there, the sound occlusion is not sensitive to what I'm terming "SoundClass." (UE4 anyone? :) )

One of the things I like about Sandstorm (though I'm WELL aware of the critique on the sound volume...) is that it really forces people to play their surroundings and use tactics because relying on sound or long sightlines with a sniper isn't possible. It forces a different play style and I don't have such an advantage with my headphones, which I like the challenge of.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    The game is great imo. Sounds are on point. People need to start using headsets. I use a playstation gold and it works great.

Quit making me play with garbage players and I'll be happy.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 571Player
    The game is great imo. Sounds are on point. People need to start using headsets. I use a playstation gold and it works great.

Quit making me play with garbage players and I'll be happy.

Not that I don't get the sentiment, but why is your KDR "only" 1.84 if you're constantly playing with garbage players? Is it only your teammates that are bad? ;)
    Yes. My teammates are not very good 99% of the time. No mics or no effort to communicate or work as a team. No clue how to play defense.

Only 1.84? After 650 hours of essentially solo gameplay I'd say that's pretty good. I'm top 3 in the room 99.9% of the time. Im a MSG3.

Never seen you before. Add me.
    Yes. My teammates are not very good 99% of the time. No mics or no effort to communicate or work as a team. No clue how to play defense.

Only 1.84? After 650 hours of essentially solo gameplay I'd say that's pretty good. I'm top 3 in the room 99.9% of the time. Im a MSG3.

I play on PC.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,780Player
    How horrid is console gaming when Montana spams the site about players sucking

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 29Player

I'll add you when I get off work. I usually play in the evenings easy coast.
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »

I always call it like it is. The developers need to impliment a better matchmaking system so people that have common sense can play together.
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »

I always call it like it is. The developers need to impliment a better matchmaking system so people that have common sense can play together.

And how would you propose that system would work?
  • H.E.A.T.H.E.A.T. Posts: 75Player
    lol i need to post hahah if you hear the fire or frags and smoke then you can takedown ppl but if you do that crouch or crawl they cant hear you but you need to hear self when and now if they hear you when that are then i will call that wallhacks and they cant never know when you are crouch or crawl in that mode
    H.E.A.T. wrote: »
    lol i need to post hahah if you hear the fire or frags and smoke then you can takedown ppl but if you do that crouch or crawl they cant hear you but you need to hear self when and now if they hear you when that are then i will call that wallhacks and they cant never know when you are crouch or crawl in that mode

What? Tactical crouch makes noise.
    H.E.A.T. wrote: »

Warning: BETA tester invitation incoming.

No bro, there is no movement that is silent in this game.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,325Beta Tester
    doogle! wrote: »

Warning: BETA tester invitation incoming.

Why?.......WHY?!! :expressionless:
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • NOUMENOXNOUMENOX Posts: 5Player
    I honestly never use tactical because it's useless since people can hear you anyway, at having a tactical version of crouch walking would be useful.

i wholeheartedly agree with this statement. advancing on an area in crouch for any kind of stealth is not really possible. i crouch behind cover, you can't really use it for much else.