What's the deal with version mismatch?

This is the second time this has happened now. I publish an update to my map overnight, the server updates the map, server tries to play the map, crashes due to version mismatch. The only cure I've heard of is to delete the metadata and republish. So, what's the actual root cause of this?
You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,320Beta Tester
    I can't tell if any of this is working as designed because everyone keeps 'inventing' their own ways of doing all this stuff and I can't check what might be a bug. :(

I'd write more but I'm 'eyeballs-falling-out tired' right now......
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 610Player
    edited October 28
    steam and server don't always sync when you do an update , we found this a lot on beer me servers ,some times you have to go in and manually update the server 203290 folder .

we never worked out which isn't working ,as sometimes the server would update but clients didn't and Vice versa
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 915Player
    Dito lobo .
    I would think its a sync issue between client and servers as a metadata file delete before publish does cook a new new meatadata file it still doesn,t always overwrite the old one forcing the map owner to do another re publish or as you said manually update the server . We also experiance many players including myself to unsub from one particular map . And then re sub to get into a server.
    Then we have another issue . Are players picking up a shadercache issue .
    I.e. a corrupt shader cache file on a particular map . Then the only answer is to delete your local shader file .
    For me i have had to do this 3 times in a matter of months to get into a server .
    Its a drag when player have to rebuild shaders for each map if this is what they have to do as not all have a machine that builds shaders quickly . This means player loss to the specific server.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,927Player
    edited October 28
    So we can sum this up as more issues for UMMs that need developer attention. It's a shame since there's just so much holding back UMMs in this game. Between the issues for mappers trying to put out an update to server operators getting crashes if things don't sync properly to players being forced to download dozens of maps to join a UMM server.

I played tons of UMMs in Half-Life & Source based games in the past and never saw the kinds of issues we've seen here. I'm sure UE3 has a different way of dealing with UMMs vs. Source, but I don't know if this is an engine issue or just an AAPG issue.

I know it's late in the game, but imagine if there were 100 servers running UMMs and they had these kinds of issues? Would mappers even be able to publish a map, see how it plays in a live server and then make tweaks? Or would we be dealing with one and done situations like a dev made map? Imagine the chaos.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,320Beta Tester
    edited October 28
    What I found on my own personal test server was TWO server restarts were needed - one to write the ini file, and one to do the download and populate the Admin map list.

That would force the proper map to the server.

For clients, a Steam restart would do it. There could be issues where the file wasn't pushed out to the Steam cloud so ALL download mirrors on Steam would push the file.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.