For Custom Maps: Need The Ability to Disable Frags

Please, give us this option. Smaller maps turn into a spam fest, really ruins playability when the beginning of a map features 10+ grenades going off or when a single grenade can take out 6 guys in a single go.
You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Comments

• }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 622Administrator
    edited October 25
    There is an option in the ini you can change the duration of time you are not allowed to use the grenade with. ForbidGrenadeTimeFLO=0 I am sure you can set it to =99999999 and have a game without frags al all.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,951Player
    edited October 25
    There is an option in the ini you can change the duration of time you are not allowed to use the grenade with. ForbidGrenadeTimeFLO=0 I am sure you can set it to =99999999 and have a game without frags al all.

Is that server side or something a map maker can set? I think that's a server setting. I'm asking for each mapper to have control over whether grenades are in their map.
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 622Administrator
    edited October 25
    Not a bad idea. To be able to pick what throwables, if any.
    edited October 25
    Not a bad idea. To be able to pick what throwables, if any.

I'd personally love full customization of which weapons are available, but short of allowing that, then having four check boxes for Frag, Flash, Fog, Smoke (since it's still in the game) would be quite nice. Some maps would be much more enjoyable to play without grenades. Even Sandstorm, which is now an official map again, didn't have grenades in the original version.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 443Beta Tester
    I wonder... Can you delete frags with some volume magic? Something like wrap the entire map in a delete-nades-volume. I don't if it's possible or not... Any editor magicians around?
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    I wonder... Can you delete frags with some volume magic? Something like wrap the entire map in a delete-nades-volume. I don't if it's possible or not... Any editor magicians around?

I'd imagine that this would annoy a lot of people when they toss a frag and it magically vanishes :lol:
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,348Beta Tester
    Make it a negative gravity physics volume so they explode at 20,000 feet ASL! :D
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Make it a negative gravity physics volume so they explode at 20,000 feet ASL! :D
    And add "No jumping!" to the server rules. Unless you want to go after all those nades...
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

I'd imagine that this would annoy a lot of people when they toss a frag and it magically vanishes :lol:
    That is true. So you need a flashing "No nades!" sign as well. :D

I know that this volume-thing would be a nasty workaround, but it might be better than nothing.
  • nL^Z0naGaming_nL^Z0naGaming_ Posts: 663Player

Tried that once, doesn't work ;)
    Well don't set it to 999999999 then. Set it to a real value. A four minute round is 240, for instance.

I don't know.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    edited October 25
    I don't know what data type is used for that in the code, but some types have limits way below 999999999. The 2 byte integer cannot go above 32767 for example. Setting the value above these type-related limits may cause overflows, etc.
    But once again, I have no clue what is used in the code, this is just some possible explanation for this behavior.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 581Player
    That setting would also apply to every FLO map on the server. As a map-maker, you'd be dependent on server owners to disable frags on ALL FLO maps on their servers.

Go back to AA2. Each map had different loadouts. From the optics to grenade loadouts to the guns themselves, maps were built for specific loadouts and not for the one-size-fits-all AAPG loadouts.

Do map makers have the ability to limit specific roles? Like make their map have no Sniper role available? Even if that's the case, a map maker should be able to limit the optics themselves. Allow the M249 but don't allow the Elcan, for example. Or as this thread was made for, forcing no frags or allowing smokes. Allow map makers to control how their map will be played. Obviously a map will play significantly differently if 40% of the server has zoom optics.
    edited October 26
    That setting would also apply to every FLO map on the server. As a map-maker, you'd be dependent on server owners to disable frags on ALL FLO maps on their servers.

Go back to AA2. Each map had different loadouts. From the optics to grenade loadouts to the guns themselves, maps were built for specific loadouts and not for the one-size-fits-all AAPG loadouts.

Do map makers have the ability to limit specific roles? Like make their map have no Sniper role available? Even if that's the case, a map maker should be able to limit the optics themselves. Allow the M249 but don't allow the Elcan, for example. Or as this thread was made for, forcing no frags or allowing smokes. Allow map makers to control how their map will be played. Obviously a map will play significantly differently if 40% of the server has zoom optics.

Mappers can limit roles, but unfortunately you can't limit attachments. So if you include an AR role in your map, you're bound to have Elcans. There are a decent amount of custom maps out there that have no snipers or even marksman roles. Then there are others that allow for tons of them.

Full customization would entail allowing mappers to pick the entire loadout available. Primary Weapon, Secondary Weapon, attachments for each, which grenades are available (even how many)... I'd even go as the OpFor equivalents. An example would be having the M16 with iron sights only which gets replaced by OpFor CZ Alpha in maps like Urban Assault, McKenna, Pipeline, etc.. Unfortunately, that doesn't look like it's in the cards.

Right now the only way you can force weapons + attachments is using a force class type workaround, but that's completely random where one round you may get yourself an M16 w/irons and then the next round you'll get an M249 w/irons. Not quite optimal.
    edited November 23
    Right now I'm creating a Safe Zone for respawn* in a map so you can't get spawn camped. I'm now trying to figure out how to block grenades too, so they can't get lobbed in there. I was sure there was collision somewhere to block grenades but I can't find it now....

(* - yes, us mappers have a respawn game semi-operational and in testing....) :)
    ______

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 581Player

This was back in open beta. I was BottledWater.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 919Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Right now I'm creating a Safe Zone for respawn* in a map so you can't get spawn camped. I'm now trying to figure out how to block grenades too, so they can't get lobbed in there. I was sure there was collision somewhere to block grenades but I can't find it now....

(* - yes, us mappers have a respawn game semi-operational and in testing....) :)

talk to nick man ........ now functional with multiple players in whiteout .......HOOOOOAAAAH .
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 919Player
    oh and i may have a work around for the nades . i check tomorrow .
    edited December 7
    Yeah, I'm going port all of XtremeDelta's FINE! Kismet work over to the map for testing! The map is simply too big to be played without that very important respawn built in.

Even if the map ends up not working well, XtremeDelta is an absolute Kismet animal !!!!! :+1:

:D

I'm going to add in a ticket system to dole out the respawn tickets, and take his Health Regeneration code and make health stations in the map instead.
    ______